- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Usual disclaimer applies. Don’t own them; don’t make money off of them.
New Beginnings

The cool crisp late October day brought the promise of freezing temperatures to the greater Washington, D.C. Metro and surrounding areas. On a park bench near the Jefferson Memorial a couple sat huddled together watching their young son throw rocks into the tidal basin.

A young handsome well-dressed man approached them. “Mr. and Mrs. Stetson? Thanks for meeting me on such short notice,” he said, shaking their hands.

“What can we help you with Harry?”

“Always straight to the point, Stetson. I like that in an agent.”

“Harry, as you well know, my wife and I are no longer agents.”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Harry…”

“Hear me out, Matt.”

Matthew looked over to his wife Jennie, who shrugged her shoulders, continuing to keep a watchful eye on their son.

“Okay Harry.”

“I would like to open a new counter-intelligence organization. A kind of ultra-secret government agency to stop the spread of communism and protect our interests here and abroad.”

“Lee, sweetheart, you’re getting too close to the waters’ edge,” Jennie called out.

“I’m still looking for Congressional approval to start building The Agency. That’s what we are going to call it. I was wondering if you could accompany me on a little drive into Georgetown?”

Matt looked over to his wife, who replied, “It’s starting to get too cold out here for Lee any way.”

“Okay, Harry. Lead the way, we’ll follow you.”

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Climbing out of their 1953 Chevrolet Bel-Air sedan the Stetsons followed Harry up the pathway to a large brick building.

“Welcome to I.F.F.,” he said, opening the door. “It’s a government surplus building, I know it’s not much to look at but the price was right.”

“I.F.F.?” asked Matt.

“That’s the cover for the Agency. I know it’s sort of anti-climatic. It stands for International Film Fed, to the general public we make documentary films for the government.”

Lee let go of his mom’s hand and climbed the stairs, clumping his boots as loud as he could against the hardwood.

“Lee, can you be a little more quiet going up those stairs son? Mum and dad need to talk to Harry.”

Lee nodded his head. “Yes, dad.”

“Here are the plans for the building,” Harry said, taking plans out of a round cylinder tube and placing them on a desk in the center of the room.

“There will be offices upstairs, but my plan is to build a state of the art underground facility, eleven floors with top of the line security system, the whole nine-yards. I know it will need a lot of work. It’s going to be a few years before everything is set. I want the best facility money can buy. I also plan on hiring the best agents I can find from the FBI, CIA, State Department, Army Intelligence and MI-6. I want the best of the best. That’s why I’m asking you to come out of retirement. I want both of you on my team.”

Both Jennie and Matt looked at each other. “Harry can we have a moment to discuss this in private?”

“Of course, there are offices upstairs. You are welcome to use one of them to talk. I’ll keep an eye on Lee.”

Matt and Jennie went up the stairs. Lee was standing at the top of the stairs, looking at the banister.

“Lee,” Matt said in a stern voice. “I know what you are thinking and the answer is no. I don’t think that banister is sturdy enough for you to slide down. Your mum and I are going to talk. You stay here with Harry. We’ll be right down.”

Lee nodded his head. He came down the stairs and walked over to Harry. “Bang!” he shouted. “You’re dead.”

Harry played along. “Ohhhh, you got me. That’s quite the weapon you got there, son. What is it?”

“It’s a Tombstone Fanner. I got it for Christmas last year. You know what I’m going to ask Santa for this year?”

“No, Lee. What?”

“A puppy.”

“A puppy. What a grand idea.”

“Yeah, but I also wouldn’t mind a little brother or sister, either.”

Harry chuckled.

Matt and Jennie came down the stairs. Matt picked up Lee. “Harry, we have made up our minds. Yes, we will work for you, but only if we can work together.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“So us being married will not be an issue?”

“No, Matt. As long as I am Head of the Agency, married couples can be partners as long as they remain effective as partners.”

”Okay, Harry you have a deal.” Matt said, shaking Harry’s hand. Matt hugged Lee tight and with his free hand he put his arm around Jennie leading his family out the building.