- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Usual disclaimers apply. Thanks to Jennifer for being my beta.
Duty

The young boy sat on the edge of a wooden chair in the hallway, his
hands resting on the seat. His little legs could not reach the floor,
so his legs swung back and forth. He was facing the office door that
had a frosted window with painted black letters on it. He could hear
the conversation going on behind the closed door.

"I just wish I knew what to do with the boy," he heard the man with a
deep voice say. "When it comes to raising children, I have to admit
I'm as naked as a babe in the woods. Why can't they come with
instruction manuals?"

"Major Clayton, you are the last living relative Lee has, but if you
feel you can not raise him, he can become a ward of the State," he
heard the sweet alto-voiced woman, that Lee had met this morning say.

"No, Major Robert Clayton always does his duty. There has not been a
challenge I have not be able to lick and I will meet this one head
on," he said. "After all he is my half-brother's son. And like you
said, I am the only one left."

"Would you like to meet Lee?" she asked. "He really is a sweet
child," she added. "I don't think you have any problems with him at
all."

"I'm ready."

The social worker opened the door and walked out into the hallway.
Taking Lee's hand she smiled and led him into the Major's office. Lee
looked around the office, noticing the photographs of jet airplanes
and maps on the walls and model planes on the desk and file cabinets.
Standing behind the desk, looking out the window was his uncle,
clothed in his dress blues.

"Lee, this is your uncle, Robert Clayton. Major Robert Clayton, your
nephew, Lee." She gave Lee a reassuring squeeze of his hand. Lee
looked up at the social worker and she smiled at him again. "It's
okay," she said, before leaving the room and closing the door. The
window shook as the door latched.

His uncle turned around looking at the boy, startled for a
moment. "Boy, you sure look like your father," he admitted, slowly
shaking his head. "What you say I take you down to the mess hall,
until I'm finished here and then I'll show you where we bunk."

"No."

"No what?" The Major asked, taken aback.

"No." Lee said again defiantly.

"Lee, the correct term is `no, sir,'" his uncle said, punctuating
each word, just inches from his face. "Do I make myself clear?"

Lee stared at his uncle for a moment before conceding defeat. There
would be other arguments he would win, but not today. He swallowed
hard, before answering in barely a whisper, "Yes, sir."

"I can't hear you. What do you say?"

"Yes, sir," Lee said, much louder, glaring at his uncle.

"Good. Now let's go find Barney and see if he has any work for you to
do, to keep you out of my hair," he said, leaving his office. Lee
stood behind his uncle and stuck out his tongue, before following him
out to the hallway.