- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's my response to the challenge for this week. Thanks to Julie
who helps me get these cleaned up enough to share with everyone.
----------
"Be careful waking him up. Remember what happened last time." Jamie
cautioned as they approached their stepfather who was sleeping on the
couch.

"Yeah, I remember—he pinned me down on the couch because we startled
him. Let's just set this down on the table so he can see it when he
wakes up." Philip suggested sitting the small wire cage on the coffee
table before softly calling out Lee's name to wake him up.

"Hey, boys! How was your last day of school for a while?" Lee asked
as he opened his eyes from his peaceful nap and came face to face
with George.

"What the hell?? Get that thing away from me!! Amanda! Can you come
in here NOW, please?" Lee yelled vaulting the end of the couch to put
some distance between himself and the rat.

"What's going on in here?" Amanda asked as she came into the room and
surveyed the scene in front of her.

"That..." Lee stammered pointing to the biggest rat he had seen since
his days trapped in the catacombs.

"That? What about that? That is a pet rat named George that the boys
volunteered to take care of over the school break. Mrs. Watson, their
science teacher, just called a while ago to fill me in. Really, Lee,
it's not that big of a deal." Amanda tried to explain as calmly as
possible.

"Not that big of a deal?? Amanda, you know how I feel about rats.
There is no way that we are keeping that THING in this house for a
day, let alone 2 weeks." Lee insisted.

"Lee...just calm down. We'll keep George in the boys' room so you
won't have to see him again. And the boys will take care of him.
Won't you fellas?" Amanda asked as she ruffled their hair.

"Yep, we have all the instructions and his food right here." Jamie
excitedly told them while holding up a brown paper bag. "And its
really no big deal. George is very friendly, and he likes to sit on
your neck. Let me show you." Jamie offered as he reached for the top
of the cage to demonstrate.

"Oh no...I said keep that thing away from me—and I meant it." Lee
demanded as he took another step away from the coffee table.

"Boys, why don't you take George up to your room? And make sure that
the lid is on tight. I'll be up in a minute to help you get
everything set up," Amanda said to the boys as they took off upstairs
with George, both mumbling about Lee making such a big deal about it.

"Really, Stetson, you deal with things a hundred times worse every
day at work, but a little ole' rat has you screaming like a girl!
Give me a break!" Amanda teased her husband, trying to lighten his
mood.

"Amanda, this really isn't funny. I just don't like rats, that's
all." Lee complained not seeing the humor in her words.

"I know dear, but I bet Mr. Melrose and Francine can find the humor
in it. They love to hear your stories of normal life." Amanda called
out as she headed upstairs to help the boys with George.

"Well, they won't hear this one!" Lee yelled adamantly from the
bottom of the stairs after Amanda. I guess I had better be thinking
up a good bribe in order to keep Amanda quiet about this at work, he
thought to himself.