- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Characters and episodes mentioned in this fanfic from the TV show Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot the Moon and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for some fun.

Timeline: During Season 3
Scene: Amanda's backyard.
Lee had been hunkered down in Amanda's garden for the past three hours or so hoping for the chance to see her for a few minutes. Even if he didn't get to actually "see" her or talk to her, he would be happy just to watch her from afar as she interacted with her family.

Geez, he thought, I am acting like some weird stalker or something, I mean only stalkers sit in women's gardens for hours on end watching them, right? Nah, I just want to make sure she is safe and happy, plus it is difficult to be able to see her in a "normal" fashion when she can't very well tell her family anything about me.

He was so busy rationalizing why he was here in Amanda's backyard that he had failed to notice the storm that had been approaching. He swore under his breath as the sky suddenly opened up and the rain began coming down in SHEETS. He realized he didn't have an UMBRELLA, or anything for that matter, to keep him from getting soaked nearly to the bone.

An umbrella??? What am I thinking, anyway? I couldn't very well sit out in Amanda's backyard with an umbrella up -- yeah that would be really inconspicuous now wouldn't it, Stetson?

As he stood up to take his leave, his leg seized up from where he had been crouching down for so long. He gasped as it really grabbed and then began to MASSAGE the offending muscle. Finally it eased up, only to be followed by his leg "going to sleep" and losing any feeling it had left.

"Damn it!" he said in a whisper as he attempted to walk on a leg he could barely feel. He was concentrating so hard on not making any noise and alarming Amanda or her family, that he failed to notice that his KEYS were hanging precariously out of the pocket of his jeans. The next thing he heard was "jingle" and then "splash".

Yes, he really did just drop his keys into the biggest mud puddle he had ever seen in Amanda's backyard. What else was going to happen to him tonight he wondered. He only hoped the puddle hadn't fried his remote for the Vette's alarm.

As he bent to retrieve his keys from the newly-formed lake that had swallowed them, he noticed movement in Amanda's kitchen. And there she was. Amanda was standing there so perfectly in the "FRAME" of the window as she began to do the dinner dishes. He didn't think he'd ever seen such a beautiful sight. He wondered what she was thinking as she was washing up the dinner plates. Was she hoping he'd pop up right in front of her as he had done so many times the past two and half years or so? He couldn't really tell by the look on her face. Unfortunately, he wouldn't be popping up in her window tonight. He wasn't about to let her see him looking like a drowned rat. At least he had been able to see Amanda tonight, and the evening spent in her very rainy backyard had not been a total bust. Scarecrow had indeed been rewarded for his efforts!