- Text Size +
The Sun of a Rainy Day

Amanda King was angry, but beyond all that she was sad, she was sure that her partner would never, never accept her, as an equal at work or something more in his life.

They were friends but she needed more, and he needed more too. His loneliness made her soul craved to take him in her arms and keep him close to her body till all the chill inside his heart would leave place for warmth.

She stepped out of her Station Wagon, she was wet, tired, and the sadness put led in her shoes.

"Why, it has to be so hard, why I have to fight so hard for my place beside him? Maybe that was said wrong just now or maybe that was her thoughts voice, a voice, lately, harder and harder to ignore.

She was honest with herself, even if it was impossible to be with him, She was in love with Lee Stetson, her partner, the man behind the mask of the Scarecrow- The Agent, The Spy- a slight giggle resound in the silence of the house- of course he wasn't a spy, he was an Intellingence Operative- yes like I said A spy!

For three long years she longed for him to return her feelings. There were times when she was sure that he would, and times like today, when she was back on the stairs of the Jefferson Memorial, with Lee trying to get rid of her.

But like all the things in her life, the worthy ones deserve a struggle, and that one was the toughest. She fought him every single moment, from the day he gave her the package till today.

Taking today for example: it wasn't her fault that he lost his car keys, she took them from the ignition and gave 'em to him. So he had them and he lost them, but that didn't matter -the yelling started.

While talking to herself, Amanda climb the stairs to her bedroom, all she wanted was a warm bath and then slide between the sheets and sleep.

Looking at the water filling the tub, her thoughts moved at the rain which start pouring while he was shouting, like it was her fault again that they didn't have an umbrella.

The bath was wonderful, but the chill from deep in her soul was gaining place and a shiver pass through her body.

Her bed and covers with their warmth were calling her, so she got out and put her robe. Stepping outside the bathroom Amanda, was startled by a presence in her room. A second later she relaxed; she wasn't scared, she could recognize that frame from hundreds, it was Lee.

Tying the sash or her robe tighter, she whispered -even if it wasn't necessary, she was alone in the house.

"Lee, what are you doing here? What do you need? More reprimands? It is also my fault that is still raining and that Auggie didn't show? Go ahead, say what you want and then go, I'm cold, tired, and all I want is to crawl in bed and sleep for three days, at least."

Lee never heard her voice, so sad before, and the guilt, which already brought him there, weight a ton on his heart. Why did he treat her so bad, when she was so precious to him, when
she was everything to him, when he loved her so much?

He knew why, he was afraid she would disappear. Part of him knew she would stay with him no matter what, after all he did everything in his power to made her quit-in her first months at the Agency and she proved him: She was good at her work, they were good working together.

The other part of him was afraid that she would get back with Joe, or with any other man, interested in her.

Amanda knew, that today she wasn't able to hide her feelings from his searching eyes, and turn to face the window, asking again: "Lee, answer me, why are you here?"

She didn't heard his steps and shivered feeling his hands, giving a gentle massage to her shoulders and arms. The warmth and gentleness got through the thick material of the robe right to her heart and Amanda lean on him searching more of that warmth and Lee didn't deny
her that, he, his soul too needing that closeness.

Amanda watched speechless his hands circling her waist coming to rest on her own fingers on the knot of the sash, and a second later just a heartbeat away from her ear his voice:

"Forgive me Amanda, I don't know what's wrong with me lately, or better I know and don't know how to deal with it."

His voice was like a sensual waltz and her soul invited his to dance.

It wasn't necessary to speak or to look at him, his hands tightening their hold on her, his heart beat and his voice told her all she needed to know. Lee Stetson was there to stay, his heart welcomed her inside and for the first time after months of insecurity Amanda was able to see and feel the sun, even in this rainy day.

End