- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: The usual...no profit to be gained here, the characters belong to WB and STM

Season: Post Season 4

Author's Notes: I wanted to write this during the week but never got a chance...my bosses have finally let me alone for a little bit. I stole one of Billy,s lines from Alley, without permission. Sorry! I needed it tho, truly!
POV may be wonky, too.
It’s All In the Name

Amanda sat across from Billy Melrose, alone in his office. It wasn’t often she was separated from Lee. The reason for this meeting was a complete mystery. Her marriage to Lee had gone public months ago. Not nearly the hubbub they expected occurred.

“I am sure, Amanda, that you’re curious as to why you’re here,” Billy began, giving her a smile before continuing, “It’s about your codename. You need one. I now have one.”

“Amanda, your codename is now ______.”

* * * * * ***** ***** * * * * *

“It’s what?” Lee asked again. Amanda had told him the story in the Q Bureau 3 times.

“That’s just how he said it. ‘Amanda, your codename is now Ditto.’ I really had no choice about it.”

“But why? What’s it mean?”

“I don’t know. Maybe I made a few too many copies. But he sure had a sly grin on his face when I left his office.”

“Well, why didn’t he explain?”

“He couldn’t. Leatherneck, Dr. Smyth, and Francine all rushed in, talking at once. He just said I should probably come up here now.”

“Poor guy. You were lucky to get out while the getting was good. Let’s see if we can ask him, right now.”

Together, Lee and Amanda now stood across from Billy Melrose. His office had cleared about 20 minutes before. He was not at all surprised they were there.

“So, Billy, what’s with the name, huh?” Lee asked.

“I knew you’d both be down here to ask. The reason is, Amanda is your duplicate, in female form. Right down to the last certification exam. You both had the same 3 questions wrong and had taken the test in separate exam rooms! And, wherever you are, I can easily expect Amanda to be there, with you. I am happy to report, Lee, you’ve taken on some of your partner’s qualities as well. It’s a change for the better.”

Lee and Amanda eyed one another and then shrugged in unison.

“You see what I mean?” Billy asked in a voice full of amusement.

“Ditto it is!” Lee said, turning on his heel to leave the office. Billy began to laugh.

“Lee!” Amanda called, chasing after him.

“Let’s go up to the Q, Ditto,” was the last thing the chief heard as one of his best teams left the office. Billy, was amused that Lee took the explanation so casually and did not suggest another codename. The name fit her and now it would stick. * Good job, Billy, good job* he gave himself a mental pat on the back.

The End