- Text Size +
"Good morning, my name is Effraim Beaman, and I will be leading today's class, Personal Safety for Agency Dependents. The purpose of this class is to help you understand the role your loved ones play in our nation's security and how that job could affect you. Now, let's get started with a brief history of the Agency," droned Beaman, who was standing before today's class made up of the Stetson-King-West family.

"Excuse me, Mr. Beaman? Do you think you could slow down a bit? I'm trying to take notes," Jamie eagerly requested.

"Wormbrain, why are you taking notes? It's not like there will be a test or anything," Phillip joked.

"Test? What test? Amanda never said anything about a test when she signed us up for this class. I mean I don't do very well with tests. Do you know it took me six tries before I finally got my driver's license, and that I have been trying for my pilot's license for years? And what happens if I fail this test? Are you going to fire Amanda and Lee or make me forget that they're spies or intelligent operatives, as Lee likes to put it? Knowing that mean little man, Mr. Melrose, I would not be surprised. I know that Lee and Amanda tell me he's a nice man, but if he fires them because I don't pass some silly test, I would just feel horrible. And Phillip, don't call your brother, wormbrain." After hearing Dotty ramble on like that, Effraim could now understand where Amanda got it from and how she could confuse everyone so thoroughly.

"First off, Jamie, there is no need to take notes as this is just an informational session. Secondly, there is no test, Mrs. West, so you don't need to worry about failing anything. Third, the proper term is intelligence operatives, not intelligent operatives. And lastly, Mr. Melrose is a very nice man if you just get to know him. So, now that we are clear on that, let's continue with our discussion. The Agency was started by Harry V Thornton in…" Effraim attempted again.

"Harry? As in that nice gentleman I met at Amanda and Lee's wedding? You would never know to look at him that he was some super spy who came up with this place!"

"Mrs. West, please. If you continue to interrupt me, we'll be here all day," an exasperated Beaman suggested as calmly as possible.

"I'm sorry, but this is all so fascinating. Plus I do have four years' worth of questions to get answered since I just now got the truth about what they do out of that daughter and son-in-law of mine."

"I understand you have questions, Mrs. West. I will do my best to answer them with today's information, but you must remember that much of what we deal with is classified. I may not be able to answer all your questions. The same applies to Scarecrow and Mrs. King."

"That's another question I have, young man. Why does everyone around here but my daughter have a code name like Scarecrow? Yet Amanda is still called Mrs. King. If a code name is supposed to protect an agent's identity, that isn't a very good one. Plus, may I remind you that she's not Mrs. King anymore since she is married to Lee now. I really think you people ought to try and come up with a code name for her. You know, I could come up with a code name for her if it would help. Maybe it could be Panda. That's what her daddy and I used to call her when she was little. Do you think that would be a good code name for her?"

"Mrs. West, I'm sure that Lee and Amanda are working with Mr. Melrose to come up with a code name for your daughter. Now, if we could just get back to history of the Agency…" Beaman directed. Scarecrow is really going to owe me big time for this one, he thought.