- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
story didn't go the way I thought the challenge would send me
It felt surreal to Amanda, and real at the same time. She wasn't
going to take it from Francine. Not anymore.

"I am not just a housewife, Francine. I've taken official, approved
Agency courses. I'm a credible agent-in-training." Amanda was in the
bullpen, standing right in front of Francine's desk, where the agent
sat, not making eye contact.

Francine looked up for a moment then lifted a page on something she
was reviewing and put her head back down,"You know, I wish we could
continue this, but I've got to get this report done."

"I want this over with. I am not putting up with ANY more of your
catty remarks," Amanda forcefully said.

"MMMmm hmmm, well, I don't see you doing anything but milk runs and
filing for Lee, so don't go thinking you're one of the Avengers just
yet, okay? Maybe you should scoot on home, Agent 99, it IS after two
and your boys are probably waiting for mommy." Francine looked at
Amanda for only a second then was typing on her computer, staring
like a robot at the screen.

"That does it!" Amanda brought back her right hand and smacked
Francine in the face with all the force she could muster. She was so
angry she could spit nails.

Francine stood and stared at her, bringing her left hand to her
cheek. She said nothing for a full half minute. The sound of the
slap had the whole of the room looking at the two feuding women. "You
hit me."

"Yes, I did hit you. And I'm not sorry. You've been nothing but
mean to me since I joined here, at Mr. Melrose's request, and all I
have ever done was try to help the Agency and help Lee. Maybe you
could show me some respect now."

"Of, of, of course." Francine stammered. "I'm sorry. I should've
seen how helpful you are from the beginning.

Francine seemed sincere. Amanda crossed her arms and nodded, "That's
more like it."

It. It. It. Beep-beep-beep! Amanda sat up with a jerk. The scene
had been a dream. She felt embarassed--how could she have hit
Francine that way, no matter how upset she was? Then Amanda felt the
satisfaction return, remembered the apology and smiled. What harm
had there been? It was only a dream, after all.

The end