- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Characters and episodes mentioned in this fanfic from
the TV show Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot
the Moon and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for
some fun.

Timeline: Just after Stemwinder Part 2
"Busted!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Scarecrow!" Billy called out as he followed Lee down the bustling
Agency hallway.

Lee stopped and turned around to wait for Billy to catch up. As
Billy approached, he said, "Yeah, Billy. What's up? Did you need to
see me about something? If it's about this case report..." Lee said
as he held up the file he was carrying.

"Oh, no, it's not that." Billy interrupted him with a sly
smile. "No, I was just wondering if you and Amanda enjoyed your
dinner at Randy's last night."

"Umm, I am not sure what you mean, Billy." Lee hedged, looking away
from his supervisor nervously.

"Oh, yeah, Jeannie and I decided to go out last night, and we ended
up over at Randy's. Jeannie noticed you and Amanda sitting at a
booth in the back looking very cozy. That was her description
anyway. Anything you'd like to tell me?"

"No, Billy." Lee said quickly. Damn, he thought, we are going to
have to be more careful. He made a mental note to discuss it with
Amanda. He guessed they needed to go places where it was less likely
to run into people they knew if they were going to keep a lid on
their budding relationship.

"Lee? Did I lose you?" Billy asked with a smirk. He could almost
see Lee's "wheels turning" as Lee quickly tried to think of way to
extract himself from this awkward conversation. Billy was thoroughly
enjoying watching his best agent squirm under his mock scrutiny.

"Umm, no Billy. I wish we could continue this, but I've got to get
this report done." Lee said as he turned and jammed the button for
the elevator with his finger.

He stared hard at the elevator doors willing them to open ASAP. It
was not working and out of the corner of his he could see Billy still
standing behind him. What he wouldn't give to just be able to tell
Billy the truth—that he and Amanda had finally begun a serious
relationship and were very much in love. That would surely wipe the
smirk off Billy's face. No matter Billy's teasing, Lee was still
quite sure his friend would be very happy for him and Amanda.

Finally, the elevator doors opened and Lee stepped inside. "See you
later, Billy." he said, flashing that famous Stetson grin as the
doors closed. Lee hoped Amanda would be up in the Q Bureau by now so
he could discuss this with her. Though he doubted Billy would, Lee
would hate for Billy to corner Amanda and start asking questions. No
doubt Amanda would be caught off guard and might give away too much
information in one of her famous rambles. Yes, he needed to take
care of this right away, he thought.

Billy stood watching the elevator doors close. Lee seemed to have
regained his composure by the time he had stepped on the elevator, he
thought. He doubted he and Jeannie would run into Lee and Amanda at
any restaurants in the near future. He had the distinct impression
that Scarecrow would make sure of that.

End