- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
~~~~ Here is my response. It is A/U, and centers around Ship of Spies. I
hope you enjoy it.~~~~~
Francine sat at an empty table in the break room, peeled off the foil top to
her yogurt, and flipped open the latest issue of Vogue. After all, there was
always another embassy bash to go to, and she was always on the look out for
the latest designer fashion.

She'd lost herself in the world of silks and satins, pearls and lace
ignoring all the other occupants of the lounge. Until a rather boisterous laugh drew
her attention to a table in the corner.

She looked over to the table and discovered fellow agents Duffy and Martin
sharing a pizza. She turned back to her magazine but something Martin said
about Scarecrow working on a cherry assignment, peaked her interest. As far as
she knew, Lee had taken a few vacation days. Casting her eyes at the glossy
paper, she eavesdropped on her colleagues.

"I heard Lee took a few personal days." Duffy confirmed what she knew.

"He did. But only because Billy couldn't spare any active agents right now.
So, he's investigating the tip from his source on his own time."

"That's a lousy way to spend time off."

"Oh, come on, Scarecrow is Billy's golden boy. If this lead pans out, Billy
will give him his days back. Besides, it's not as lousy as you think."

"Oh, really?" Duffy remarked, "How so?"

"Scarecrow's tip led him on a Caribbean cruise. A honeymoon cruise. And the
lucky son-of-a-bitch took Mrs. King along."

Duffy whistled through his teeth. "You don't think Scarecrow and Mrs. King.
. . She's not his type. Besides, Scarecrow is nothing if not a professional.
He wouldn't let a woman get in the way of his work."

That's true, Francine thought. Lee would never get involved with a frumpy
house wife.

"She's female, isn't she?" Martin teased, "She's exactly Scarecrow's type.
And he won't be working twenty-four hours a day. The lucky dog."

"You're right. He's going to have to maintain his cover. It is a honeymoon
cruise after all."

Francine heard enough. She'd find out from Billy exactly what's going on.
She stood and tossed her trash in the basket before heading back into the bull
pen.

~~~

She knocked on Billy's door and let herself in at his "enter." He sat behind
his desk, a half-eaten sandwich within easy reach.

He looked up. "Is there something you needed, Francine?"

"Billy, I just heard that Lee is on a cruise. Is it true?"

"Lee took a few days off. I'm not sure what he's doing with them."

"The rumor around here is Lee's investigating a tip on a cruise and he took
Amanda as back-up."

Billy smiled. "Francine, you know better than to listen to rumors."

"Oh, come on, Billy," she huffed. "You know as well as I do, that rumors
around here are usually true. What I'd like to know is why you sent a civilian
as back-up. I'm a trained professional. If Lee needed a partner for this
assignment it should have been me."

"I didn't send Lee on any assignment. How he chooses to spend his time off
is none of my concern. Nor should it be yours. I wish we could continue this,
but I've got to get this report done. So if you don't mind, I'd like my office
back."

She turned on her heels and stomped her way out of Billy's office, letting
the door slam behind her.

End. . . (continue with original episode)

Authors note: In the original episode, Francine is in Billy's office when
Lee makes his plea to investigate Orlando's message.