- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Instructions: You must use the above line of dialogue in your story exactly as stated. Don't forget your submission can be any length - from one line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else as long as it has a link to either SMK or B5.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This scene is an addition to my response to last week's challenge. It will
be developed into the first part of a story that you encouraged me to think
about. Usual disclaimers apply.
Last week,
After a pleasant meal, the women rummaged through purses as each prepared to
pay a separate check. Amanda held herself in check as she realized the bus
boy had morphed into Fred Fielder. She looked up as Francine placed her bill
before her. She turned it over and read the note. A hostage situation . . .
Lee . . .

Now,

Amanda told herself that she has had enough training and experience not to
look
shell-shocked because of the contents of the note. Her husband was in
trouble in what was most likely a volatile hostage situation. Summoning the
courage she used to be a federal agent, she stood quickly. Covering what the
other PTA moms would assume was an abrupt departure, she spoke. "I wish we
could continue this, but I've got to get this report done. If I don't get back
to work, my boss will have a fit."

"Oh, I know the type, Amanda, quotes the staff handbook to the letter, I'm
certain."

"Yes, well, I had better get going. Call me with the final schedule,
please. Goodbye."

Amanda gathered her things. She twisted the claddagh ring that Lee had
placed on her left hand that morning. She needed to draw on the strength of the
friendship, love and loyalty the ring represented. Amanda joined her fellow
agents and exited through the bar to the waiting brown sedan which would take
her to the other side of the beltway.