- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Characters and episodes mentioned in this fanfic from
the TV show Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot
the Moon and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for
some fun.
All Keyed Up

"Hurry up, Amanda! This isn't going to hold much longer," Lee
exclaimed in exasperation as the rain continued to pour and drench
the both of them.

"I can't get it in the hole. I'm trying!" She was really getting
annoyed now.

She was annoyed that she couldn't get the darned key in the hole, and
annoyed that Lee was rushing her, which was making the task at hand
even more difficult. She was also annoyed that everything that could
go wrong with tonight's plans had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~START FLASHBACK~~

First, before her mother left to meet Capt. Kurt at the airport for
their weekend getaway, she had grilled Amanda about why she had
gotten home from "work" so late last night. Then, Joe had been 25
minutes late picking up the boys for their weekend visit. That had,
in turn, made her late meeting Lee at the market.

When she had finally arrived in the parking area, she could tell by
the look on his face that he had been worried. She didn't like to
make him worry about her.

The bad vibes hadn't ended there. The store had been sold out of
several of the items she had on her grocery list for the perfect
romantic dinner. When they finally reached the checkout area, they
discovered that there were only two lanes open and each had lines
that stretched back into the aisles. Then, to boot, once they had
checked out and were finally on their way out of the store, Amanda
discovered they had been grossly overcharged on several items. She
had to go back to customer service to get that corrected.

Up to this point, Lee had been very patient with her and with
everything that had been going wrong. Amanda figured his patience
was bound to be wearing thin.

As she and Lee came back out of the grocery store, it began to pour
the rain. "Oh, great, just what we need—to load the groceries in the
car in the pouring rain." Amanda told Lee. "What else can go wrong?"

"Don't even go there, Manda. I am not going to let all these trivial
little problems ruin our first chance in a long time to spend some
time together alone," Lee reassured her as they quickly loaded
everything in the car and headed over to Amanda's place.

~~END FLASHBACK~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next thing Amanda heard was the ripping of one of the grocery
bags. She looked behind her to see Lee holding what was left of the
wet paper bag that had once held some of the ingredients of the
romantic dinner she had planned to cook together with Lee. Those
items were now scattered around their feet on Amanda's side porch and
in the mulched area around the porch.

Lee dropped the rest of the bag and took the key from her hand. He
made quick work of the lock that had been giving Amanda such a fit
and quickly opened the door. He ushered her inside and helped her
place the remaining bags on the counter.

He could see that she was almost to the point of tears and gently
pulled her into his arms. "Hey, it's ok, but I think our homemade
dinner was doomed from the start. Why don't you call Chan's and have
some Chinese delivered? I'll go and clean up the porch."

Amanda smiled up thankfully at him, and then gave him a quick
kiss. "I'm sorry about all of this, but I think you're right!
Chinese sounds wonderful right now!"

End