- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Prequel to last week's challenge response—"Operation!"
A Friday Challenge Response for 2/22/08
Written By: Julie T.

Timeline: Towards the End of Season 3

Disclaimer: Characters and episodes mentioned in this fanfic from
the TV show Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot
the Moon and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for
some fun.
The black B.M.W. sedan pulled deftly over to the side of the small
country road on the outskirts of Berlin. Two occupants quickly
exited the vehicle and met in front of the car.

"I am hoping that this is the break we have been waiting for in this
case. The cottage where my contact is supposed to be waiting is just
around the bend on the left-hand side of the road. It shouldn't take
long for Klaus to give me the floppy disk he said he had obtained
with the list of German agents who may have infiltrated our European
network," Lee informed Amanda.

"Ok, so let's get going then so we can get back to Berlin and make
that 7 p.m. flight to D.C.," Amanda said as she began walking in the
direction of the cottage.

"And where do you think you're going?" Lee called out to her as she
hurried towards the cottage. "I need you to stay in the car, Amanda,
where you'll be safe. I don't know Klaus very well at all, and this
meet could be a trap."

Amanda turned and put her hands on her hips. "Lee, I don't want to
wait in the car! I would feel safer if you were nearby. I can just
wait outside the cottage while you meet with Klaus."

A—man—da, I want you to wait here with the car incase we need a quick
getaway. Please, just do what I ask. I don't have time to argue
with you about it. If I am late, Klaus may get spooked and split
taking the floppy with him."

Amanda walked slowly back towards Lee and the car. "Please be
careful!" She told him she passed him and he began walking down the
side of the road.

"Amanda, you get in the driver's seat, and be ready to get out of
here quickly," Lee called out over his shoulder as he hurried towards
the cottage.

Not thinking, Amanda got in on the left-hand side of the car and
reached for the steering wheel to steady herself in the seat. As she
reached out, all her hands found were air and the dashboard. "Darn
it!" she shouted aloud feeling rather foolish, as she remembered it
was a right-hand drive car. She hoped Lee wouldn't look back and see
her heading around to the opposite side of the car. She already felt
foolish enough and didn't need to be ribbed by Lee about it later.

Amanda settled into the driver's seat of the B.M.W. and wondered if
Lee had made it to the cottage yet. She hoped he wouldn't be gone
too long, and that things would go as planned with the meet. Waiting
in the car had never been her strong suit, especially when Lee could
be in danger.

Lee crept around the side of the cottage, scoping it out to make sure
there were no traps set for him. Finally assured that Klaus was the
only occupant of the cabin, he tapped the appropriate number of times
on the rear door as Klaus had instructed him to do. A short, blond
haired man came opened it. To Lee, he looked quite nervous.

"Scarecrow?" he asked as his eyes darted over Lee's left shoulder to
make sure no one else was in the backyard.

"Yes. Klaus, I take it?" Lee replied as he stepped into the kitchen
area of the cottage. "Did you bring the floppy disk?"

Klaus paced nervously around the kitchen as if stalling for time.
Finally, he said in broken English, "Ya, have it in zee briefcase in
zee other room. For you, I'll get it now." He hurried into the
other room.

While he was waiting for Klaus to return, Lee looked out the window
to make sure no one was watching from the bushes in the side yard of
the cottage.

Suddenly, Lee heard the front door slam. He pulled his pistol out of
the holster hidden beneath his jacket. Carefully, he exited the
kitchen and headed into the room where Klaus had just disappeared.

And disappeared was right, Klaus was no where to be found.
Apparently, this was either a trap or Klaus had been spooked for some
reason. He could only hope that the latter was the case. No sooner
than that thought entered his mind, he heard a gunshot outside the
cottage. Immediately, he felt a searing pain in his shoulder. Damn,
I'm hit, he thought, as he fired off a couple of shots out the
window.

Lee decided that the best thing to do was to make a run for it out
the front door. He figured he could make it the few feet over to the
wooded area for cover and then hightail it back to the B.M.W. where
Amanda was waiting on him. He wondered if she had heard the shots
ring out.

He fired off another couple of shots and raced out the front door.
He did a zig zag pattern all the way over to the wooded area where he
took cover in the trees. As he ran away from the cottage, he ran
squarely into Amanda who was hiding in the wooded area.

"I heard the shots! Are you ok?" she whispered, not caring that he
had nearly knocked her off her feet.

"Amanda! I thought I told you to wait in the car!" Lee whispered
back.

"Oh my gosh, Lee, you're bleeding!" she exclaimed in a low
tone. "We've got to get you outta here."

"It's nothing, Amanda, just a scratch." Lee told her as they began to
make their way quickly back towards the B.M.W.

After what seemed like an eternity to Amanda, they finally were back
at the car. Lee checked the area to make sure no one was lying in
wait for them. The coast seemed to be clear.

"Amanda, you'll have to drive." Lee informed her. "I'm not sure what
is going on here, but I doubt they'll follow us. They obviously
weren't shooting to kill back there. Just a scare tactic I guess.
And I'm not sure if Klaus set me up or if he saw the shooter and
spooked. Damn it! Guess this wasn't the break I was hoping for."

"Where are we going? You need a doctor." Amanda told him as she put
the B.M.W. into drive and headed back towards Berlin.

"No, we can't take a chance on that until we know what their game
plan is. Let's find a small hotel to hole up in where I can get this
shoulder bandaged up and figure out what is going on."