- Text Size +
Thirteen-year old Lee Stetson stomped up the stairs to his room and slammed
the door hard enough to rattle the window. He plopped down on the bed,
crossed his arms across is chest, and glared at his reflection in the mirror over
his dresser.

Well, he might as well get comfortable. This room was going to be his prison
for the next two-weeks. That stupid teacher just had to call his Uncle. It
really wasn't his fault that he got into another fight. But, did his Uncle
believe him? Oh no, he didn't. No matter how many times he tried to explain that
he had no choice, The Colonel said he didn't want to hear any excuse.

He didn't care what the Colonel thought. Lee knew he'd done the right thing.
Poor Sally James, those three bullies were picking on her. Tossing her books
in the trash, and pulling her hair. Backing her into the corner. He just
couldn't stand by and do nothing.

So he jumped on the back of the biggest one, wrapped his arm around his
shoulders and pulled him to the floor, punching him in the eye once Lee got him
to the ground. The other two jumped in to try and help the big guy but, a
quick left jab to the nose of one guy sent him crying to the nurse.

The third guy wrapped his arms around Lee from behind, effectively stopping
Lee from punching any more so he did the only thing he could. A nice kick to
the groin had the bruiser doubled over in pain. It was a sneaky tactic but it
was the only option Lee had.

Sally showed her gratitude with a sweet kiss on his cheek and agreeing to go
to the dance with him on Saturday night. Then, Mr. Frawley hauled him into
the principal's office and called his uncle.

And instead of a 'Atta boy' or 'nice job, Skip,' all his Uncle had to say
was that he was confined to quarters for the next fourteen days. Now, he was
going to miss the dance. Life really sucked.

~~~

For the next three days, Lee's life consisted of going to school and coming
directly home to sit in his room until dinner, then it was back into his cell.
Tonight, however, things changed. While they were eating dinner, the Colonel
told him he had to go on maneuvers this weekend, but Barney would be staying
there with him instead of Lee going to Barney's home.

Barney's a softie. He wouldn't keep Lee locked up. But just incase he did,
Lee started to hatch a plan of escape. There was no way he was going to miss
going to the dance with Sally.

~~~

Saturday evening, Barney called him down to dinner. Lee stuck his head out
the door and told Barney he wasn't feeling well. He thought he may be getting
the cold that was going around his class. So, he was just going to bed to get
some rest.

He closed his door and listened for the creaky step. Once he heard that he
knew Barney would be back downstairs. Lee turned on his stereo, blasting the
music to cover any noise he made.

He changed his clothes and made a pillow-person, just incase Barney came up
to check on him. Then he slid the window open and climbed down the tree.

Reaching the ground, he exhaled deeply and brushed off the bark that was
stuck to his pants.

"And where do you think you're going?"

He jumped at the voice and slowly turned around to face his jailer. "Barney,
I . . . ah . . . I"

"Well, young man, I'm waiting for an answer."

"I'm going . . . back to my room I guess." He hung his head and started for
the front door.

"Are you just going to stand you date up?"

Confused, Lee turned back to face Barney. "Sir?"

"I thought you were taking little Sally James to the dance. You're going to
need a ride to her place."

Lee smiled and raced to the car.

End