- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Timeline: Sequel to my previous challenge response, "The Riding
Lesson", about one year later.

Disclaimer: Characters mentioned in this fanfic from the TV show
Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me, but to Shoot the Moon
and Warner Brothers et als. I am just borrowing them for some fun.
I do not intend to profit in anyway from this story.
Amanda was sitting in the sunny breakfast nook sipping her coffee and
eating Grape Nuts cereal when she finally heard the Jeep bouncing and
bumping its way up the rough driveway leading to their farm. She was
looking forward to seeing her gorgeous husband, but was even more
excited to find out what he had been up to this morning.

It was Saturday, but Lee had been up early and out the door to run a
mystery errand. Amanda was sure it wasn't Agency business though
because, as she had noted when she looked out the window, he had
taken their stock trailer with him when he had gone. She bet he'd
found another horse that he'd taken a liking to and just "couldn't do
without". She smiled as she thought about hearing that exact same
explanation several times over the past year—every time
another "critter" had somehow found its way to their farm. Their
herd had grown considerably since last year when she had taken her
first of many riding lessons on their Saddlebred horse named Laurel.

Amanda got up and put her dishes in the sink. She headed out the
back door towards the barn to see what Lee what up to. He had just
finished backing the trailer through the gate in the upper paddock
when Amanda arrived. He got out of the truck, jogged over to her and
gave her a lingering kiss on the lips. Taking her into his arms, he
said, "Good morning, beautiful!"

"Good morning, sweetheart! Where have you been this morning?"

"Oh, Amanda, I can't wait for you to see what I have in this
trailer! You are going to love this!!" Lee exclaimed, rubbing his
hands together and looking like an excited boy ready to open presents
on Christmas morning. He hopped over the fence into the paddock and
then opened the rear door of the stock trailer.

Out of the trailer jumped the biggest steer Amanda thought she had
ever seen. Of course, she mused, maybe he really isn't that big
since I haven't seen that many in person!

"What are you planning to do with that?" Amanda asked with wide eyes.

"Well, I got that great roping horse last month, and I needed
something to rope! That's where this guy comes in. I am going to
practice my roping skills on him. If my horse turns out to be as
talented as I think he is, I am planning to enter some of the local
rodeos with him in the spring."

Amanda just shook her head, rolled her eyes and smiled at her
husband's enthusiasm over the steer.

"Isn't he gorgeous, honey?" Lee asked as he stood inspecting his
newest acquisition, which Amanda was not surprised to see had already
begun grazing in the field.

"I suppose, for a steer, he's ok. Don't you think we have enough
livestock, though? I mean they do like to eat an awfully lot," said
Amanda as she watched the steer vigorously munching on the field
grass. Seeing Lee's disappointment at her lack of enthusiasm for the
animal, Amanda back-peddled a bit saying, "What I meant to say is if
it makes you happy, then it makes me happy. Want me to fix you
something to eat now? You must be starved."

Lee smiled as he again hopped the fence to stand beside Amanda. He
took her into his arms and exclaimed, "Thank you, honey! I knew he'd
grow on you! I'll get the trailer unhitched and be up to the house
in a minute. Did I mention how much I love you?"

"No, I don't believe you did. I love you, too." Amanda said as she
gave Lee a hug and kiss then turned to go back to the house. About
half-way back to the house, she stopped and looked back. Lee was
standing with one foot resting on the fence rail watching his steer
graze. Amanda was happy to see how relaxed and contented he looked.
Maybe the thought of owning a steer is growing on me, she thought
with a chuckle. It was definitely something she had never pictured
herself owning, but without a doubt it made Lee happy and that was
all that mattered.