- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  Scarecrow and Mrs. King is copyrighted to Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Production Company. I have borrowed the characters without the permission of WB & Shoot the Moon.  This story is for entertainment purposes ONLY, and I do not wish to use this story to profit off of the borrowed characters.  This story, however, is copyrighted to the mentioned author.  Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

 Author’s Notes:  This story is in answer to the “You gorgeous thing, you!” challenge line set by Julie T.  It takes place within the world of Francine and Tony during their first month of dating.  This is a companion piece to Cheryl’s response to the same challenge called ‘A New Life’.  Thanks Cheryl for beta’ing this for me.  See Cheryl's folder for Francine and Tony's POV.

I’m scared.  I’m wet and I’m scared.  I’m cold too.  I don’t like this place, everything is so big.

I miss my mama, and my brothers and sisters.  I loved to snuggle up to my mama’s tummy and sleep, warm and cozy, listening to her heartbeat.  When we weren’t sleeping, I would jump and roll around with my siblings.  It was a happy time.  I really loved my family.

Then the big cats came, the ones that walk on two legs and don’t know how to meow.  They took me away from my mama and kept me in a cold place where there were no other cats like me.

There were small two-legged cats there too.  I thought at first they would be fun to play with and for a while they did play with me.  But they were also cruel.  They kept pulling my tail and my whiskers.  Then, one day they really hurt me and I had an accident on the floor.  It wasn’t my fault; I just couldn’t get to my litter box in time.  There was a lot of shouting.  I knew they were angry with me, so I hid under the couch trembling with fear.  One of the big two-legged cats reached under the couch and grabbed me by my leg, I fought him but I was too small and my claws and teeth weren’t strong enough to do much damage.

He put me in some kind of bag, it was dark and suffocating.  The next thing I knew he was dumping me out in some bushes.

I watched him as he walked away.  I didn’t know what to do for the best.  Run after him?  He wasn’t nice but at least he fed me.  Stay here and be hungry?  If I did, at least he wouldn’t hurt me anymore.

As soon as I thought of food, my stomach started to growl.  There was no food here, only dirt and bushes.  It started to rain so I crawled further into the bush to try and find shelter.  I tried not to think of the cold, or my hunger, as I curled up as tight as I could in a ball and tried to sleep.  I did eventually fall asleep and when I awoke it was dark.  The dark doesn’t bother me because I can see pretty well at night, but my wet fur did bother me.  It smelled.  I tried to lick myself dry but I really didn’t have the energy.

I thought of my mama, of how she would clean me and keep me warm.  I started to cry.  I lay there mewling quietly.  How did my life change so quickly?  How did things go so bad?

I stopped crying as soon as I heard the voices.  I could see four feet standing very close to me.  I tried to hide amongst the branches of the bush that was now my only shelter.  I cringed and tried to crawl deeper into the shadows, when one of the two-legged cats peered into the bush.

He reached into my hiding place with his hand and grabbed me.  I was ready to fight if he’d grabbed me by the legs like that other creature had done.  But this one picked me up like my mama used to.  He held me by the scruff of my neck until he had gotten me free of the branches and then gently held me to his chest.

I could feel the kindness in this man.  Yes, I know, now, that these two-legged cats were humans and the males are called men and the females are called women.  Funny names, but then all of their language is strange.

The man put me in the woman’s arms, and she cradled me in some soft material, using it to dry my fur.  I couldn’t understand all that they were saying, just the odd word here and there.  I heard the word sweet, and then she held me to her face to say hello.  I let her rub her nose against mine.  I sniffed, she smelled nice.  My fear melted away as I heard her say “You gorgeous thing, you!”  I knew instinctively that I could trust these people and they wouldn’t hurt me.

And then the man started to stroke my head.  Oh, this was bliss.  I started to purr to show my gratitude to these humans.  I didn’t even get scared when I found myself trapped between them, although I squirmed a little to remind them that I was still there!  Then my stomach growled when I heard the word ‘food’.  That was a word I understood!

The humans climbed into a big metal thing on wheels.  The sweet smelling lady kept me in her arms where I felt warm and loved.  My eyes started to close, and as I drifted off to sleep I could hear my people discussing me.  They wanted to know my name.  Honey.  That’s what my mama called me.  I hope they’ll think of that, the lady did think I was ‘sweet’ and honey is sweet.

I fell asleep and dreamed of a warm hearth, food and love.  I dreamed of a real home.

End