- Text Size +
Author: VetteGirlScrcrw2

Fiction Rated: M - English - Romance/Romance - Reviews: 5 - Published: 09-08-04 - Updated: 09-08-04 id:2050141

Some Fluff and Stuff

All the legalese:

The characters, scenarios, and locales of Scarecrow and Mrs. King rightfully belong to Warner and Shoot the Moon, although my intelligence sources have ascertained that there are many individuals who would have loved to have had their hand in the magic as well.

The characters of Amanda and Lee Stetson belong to the enchanting KJ and dashing BB, who created a type of magic that is very rare to see in television and still is as wonderful to watch now as it was during Scarecrow's original run. Why we don't have a reunion movie is beyond me, but hey, that's why THEY DON'T PAY ME THE BIG BUCKS!

The NAG&P – National Academy of Government and Professional Filmmakers, is a fictitious organization that I contrived (and as far as I've been able to find, is not real) and is in no way meant to represent any actual or factual organization. It's sole purpose is to exist so that I could play dress up with and create a fancy, shmancy party to send our crew to one lovely night. Besides, after my last story, I promised to give Amanda something sweet and fluffy this time around.

Warrenton is indeed a real place in the beautiful state of Virginia, a place that I've had the opportunity to drive through many a time on trips from Pennsylvania to North Carolina, (a pleasant drive to detour the beltway). It is located approximately forty miles slightly southwest of Arlington, Virginia in beautiful Farquier County.

To the best of my knowledge, there is not a Wyndmere Plantation in Warrenton, nor is there a Warrenton Regency. This little confection takes place shortly after Stemwinder but before Nightcrawler and I'm not real good with timeline things, so for fiction's sake, there had best have been about a month between the two episodes!

Now, on to the cotton candy.

Billy Melrose looked up from his desk as Lee and Amanda entered his office.

"Scarecrow, Amanda, just the two people I wanted to see," he said with a big grin on his face.

"What's up Billy?" Lee inquired.

"I hope neither you nor Amanda have any plans for Saturday evening," he replied.

"Oh, well," Lee began.

In actuality, Stetson did indeed have plans.

With Amanda.

Amanda simply shrugged, not sure what to say.

Billy however, did not hesitate, he gave neither of them a chance to voice any objections.

"Good! We've been invited to a party."

"A party?" Lee groaned.

Great, he thought. He had been planning a nice, romantic weekend with Amanda and here Billy was, mucking it up by throwing yet another assignment at them. Lee's mind was already in the process of conjuring up excuses to use when Francine spoke.

"Oh, you're going to love this," she said, her eyes twinkling with amusement.

Lee and Amanda both looked at her, trying to interpret the smile that was on her face.

"We've got invitations to the NAG&P's annual gala."

Amanda looked confused. "N...A...G and P?" she asked.

Francine nodded. "National Association of Government and Professional Filmmakers."

Amanda almost laughed aloud. "Are they for real?"

Billy nodded. "Very. International Federal Film has had a membership with them for years, Amanda, part of our front. Their headquarters are here in DC and every year they host a meet and greet gala. This year's theme is a ball, they tell me Gone with the Wind theme, at the, how shall I say this, posh Wyndmere plantation just outside of Warrenton."

"The Wyndmere?" Even Lee now seemed impressed. "Their security's about as tight as Fort Knox. From what I've heard, it's quite an impressive little ranch."

"Little?" Francine squeaked as she looked at him in disbelief. "Do you know how many acres that little ranch covers?"

She then focused on Amanda. "It's been family owned since the late 1700's. I've never been there, but I hear it's one of the most spectacular private residences in Farquier County."

"Well, since you're all so enthusiastic, let me be the first to inform you that we've got six invites." Billy grinned like a Cheshire cat as he waved the invitations in front of his agents.

"Two for me," Billy said with a smile, "one for Lee, one for Amanda, one for Francine, well two for Francine. For good behavior, we'll allow you to choose your own date."

They all laughed, then Billy continued. "Amanda, Lee, I'd like for the two of you to attend together." Billy's smile grew even wider. "Since you're partners, of course," he completed in the most professional tone he could muster at the moment.

Billy handed Francine two of the embellished antique white invitations. Then he handed Lee and Amanda each one.

Lee looked at Amanda then at Francine. "Wow. Thanks Billy."

Amanda murmured. "But I don't have anything to wear to a party like this."

Francine laughed. "Amanda, trust me," she said as she took her by the arm and began leading her out the door. "I know exactly where we're going to get outfitted for this shindig."

"Where?" Amanda said almost apprehensively as she turned her head over her shoulder to look back at Billy and Lee.

"Miss Kitty's."

"Who?"

Billy and Lee's laughter followed her out the door as Francine led her away.

"Not to worry Amanda!" Lee called out to her.

Amanda's brown eyes widened and Lee just barely heard her whisper, "Oh my gosh."

SMK – SMK - SMK

Francine chattered throughout the twenty-minute drive while Amanda tried to maintain a polite interest. While Francine was clearly excited, Amanda was not. The last several weeks had been hectic, both professionally and personally. The boys had been keeping her busy, what with going back to school and all of their extracurricular activities.

Then there was the Q-Bureau. She and Lee had lost valuable time and precious ground on some of the cases they had been working on while dealing with the entire Stemwinder fiasco. Now that Amanda's job was officially full-time, she was feeling more strain at being torn between two very different lives. Thank goodness for her mother.

Added to the ever chaotic mix was one other important factor, her relationship with Lee. Things may have developed very slowly, ok agonizingly slow, during the first three years of their relationship, but the last several months had changed all of that. Now it seemed almost as though they were making up for lost time and missed opportunities and neither was fully satisfied with the amount of time they managed to spend together, alone.

Sure, they spent nearly every waking hour together, but probably eighty to ninety percent of that was work related, if not more. She and Lee had been trying to fit some quality personal time in their schedules and this upcoming weekend had seemed like just what the doctor ordered. The boys were spending the weekend with Joe and Dotty would be doing something or other with Captain Kurt, leaving Amanda and Lee the entire weekend, until Sunday evening.

"Amanda," Francine's voice cut through Amanda's thoughts.

"Oh, sorry, what?"

Francine laughed. "What were you thinking about?"

"I'm sorry, I was just running tonight's schedule in my mind. You know, with the boys and everything they're involved in after school, it pays to think ahead. Football, homework, soccer, the list never ends."

Francine nodded. "I don't know how you do it and still maintain your sanity. Do you ever even get any sleep?"

Amanda chuckled. "Oh, I manage to sneak in a few hours here and there." Thank goodness Francine didn't know where Amanda sometimes stole a few precious moments for a nap. The gossip at the water cooler would surely increase ten fold.

Francine had pulled her little red sports coupe into a driveway that belonged to a quaint little house.

"We're here," she said, barely able to contain her excitement.

"Oh," Amanda said. Where exactly is here, Amanda thought.

Ten minutes later Amanda found herself inside, surrounded by a petite and very thin elderly woman who spoke with just a trace of a European accent and waved a tape measure and fabric swatches around with utter insanity.

Sometimes she rattled away in a foreign language Amanda didn't comprehend, then laughed at herself. She also had an assistant, another elderly woman who was plump and giggled nonstop.

Both women fussed over Francine and Amanda, especially when they found out what event they would be designing costumes for.

"Oh, come on Amanda, relax," Francine chided when she had noticed that Amanda's mood still hadn't lightened, despite the elder women's good-natured personalities.

"Perhaps she does not want to attend the party," hinted Miss Kitty.

"Oh, it's not that," Amanda said.

"She has a lot on her mind," Francine said. "She has two young sons."

"Oh," gushed both women unison.

"You have your hands full, no?" the plump woman asked. "I bet they keep you and your husband busy."

"Ex," supplied Francine. "Not that it matters, because Amanda always has it all under control, right Amanda? She's a wonderful mother."

Amanda smiled at Francine's comment. Instead of Francine's usual barbs, she sounded utterly sincere.

"Oh, you are divorced," clucked Miss Kitty. "Such a pity, a beautiful girl like you. But you have a boyfriend, no?"

Amanda moaned inside. Here we go again, some more lies, she thought. Lies, lies, and more lies, all to be a spy. Amanda simply shrugged. "A few dates, here and there, but the boys are really my first concern right now."

Both elderly women shook their heads and murmured away in some foreign language while one whipped the tape measure around Amanda's tiny waist and the other furiously made notations regarding fabric swatches that she was waving in front of Francine's face.

"My dear," Miss Kitty spoke. "You do have a date for this party, do you not?"

"I'm going with my partner, from work," she quickly replied.

Francine couldn't help but laugh.

"What?" Amanda asked as she turned to look at the blonde agent.

"Oh, nothing, I didn't say anything," Francine said, her eyes revealing a hint of mischief.

"And who is your partner dear," asked the thinner woman.

"Scarecrow," Francine piped up quickly.

Amanda's dark eyes widened as Francine voluntarily gave Lee's code name. Had the woman taken leave of her senses?

"Relax Amanda," Francine told her. "Both Miss Kitty and Trina here have dealt with us before. They know all about the infamous Lee Stetson."

Amanda rolled her eyes and the other three woman laughed.

"Well," Miss Kitty said knowingly as she squeezed Amanda's hand in a friendly gesture. "Now I know exactly what we'll create for you, my dear."

Amanda groaned inside. Good gosh, she thought. What have I gotten myself into?

Nearly two hours and a multitude of measurements later, Amanda and Francine made their way back to the Agency.

"I still don't understand why she wouldn't let us even see her final choices for the designs or fabrics, I mean come on Francine, don't you think blindfolding your customer is a bit extreme?"

Francine laughed. "Miss Kitty's like that. She's been doing costume creations for IFF for, oh, I don't know, fifteen years or so. She's never let me down, seriously. Everything she creates is wonderful, she's got fantastic fashion sense, and she never goes wrong color wise. Besides, she loves to surprise people. It's part of her charm."

Amanda sighed.

"Oh, come on Amanda, aren't you the least bit excited? This is the Wyndmere plantation and this promises to be one of the biggest parties of the year."

Francine turned her head to look at Amanda with a knowing smile as she braked her car at the red light. "Besides, look who you're going with."

Amanda rolled her eyes. "We're partners Francine, nothing more."

"I know that," the blonde agent replied. She laughed to herself. Whatever you say Amanda.

"Speaking of which, who are you going to ask Francine?"

"I don't know," she said with a frown.

Now it was Amanda's turn to smile. "Nobody special right now?" she asked sympathetically.

"No," Francine said.

"Well, we can't let you go to the party of the year alone," Amanda said. While Amanda wasn't necessarily looking forward to attending a fancy party, she knew Francine was.

"Oh, you know me Amanda, I'll just whip out one of my four black books," she said with a laugh.

"Francine!"

"Just kidding Amanda, just kidding."

SMK – SMK - SMK

The work week flew by quickly for Amanda and before she knew it, it was late Thursday afternoon. She was sitting at her desk, putting paperwork in order for a file when Lee came buzzing in, humming to himself.

"Oh, you're chipper," she said.

He leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"Why not? I've got a beautiful date for the party of the year."

Amanda gave him a polite smile.

"Manda, at least you could be a little excited."

"It's just that we've hardly seen each other in the last three weeks, outside of work. I won't get to see you Friday night, and, well, I was really looking forward to a quiet weekend, just the two of us."

Lee smiled. "So I have to share you for a few hours Saturday night. If it helps, I promise to make it up to you."

"How?" she teased.

"Ah," he grinned. "See if this helps, I have reservations for Saturday night at the Warrenton Regency." He leaned over and kissed her again, this time on the lips. "As well as Sunday night?" This he questioned, unsure as to Amanda's availability.

"Lee!" she exclaimed.

"What? You wanted a quiet weekend alone?"

"That's, that's one of the most expensive hotels in the area."

"And you're worth every penny. Jacuzzi, room service, mini-bar," he kissed her again, slowly, as if he they had all the time in the world.

"It gets better, I snagged the honeymoon suite."

"You're joking?"

Lee shook his head, his hazel eyes twinkling with merriment. "It pays to know some of the staff. Seems the happy honeymooners canceled their wedding as well as their reservations. Right place and time Amanda, and it's all ours."

He kissed her again, this time slowly and with no intent on pulling away anytime soon. Before either realized, Lee had one hand cradling her head and the other skimming warm fingers along the collar of her blouse. When they finally did part, she had to take a moment to catch her breath, a very long moment. Maybe the weekend would not be a total washout after all.

SMK – SMK - SMK

Friday evening found Amanda sitting on her couch and folding laundry when Dotty arrived home, at nearly midnight.

"Amanda darling, what are you doing home?" Dotty asked.

"I live here," Amanda offered.

Dotty laughed as she kicked her shoes off. "You do?"

"Mother!"

"Did the boys get off with Joe ok?"

Amanda nodded as she placed the last shirt in the basket neatly on top of the others she had folded.

"Joe was a little late in picking them up, he was trying to wrap up some things before the weekend."

"And he's taking them to Philip's football game Saturday?"

Again Amanda nodded. "Yes, said he wanted the opportunity to introduce them to some new girlfriend after the game, at dinner. Carol or Carrie, or somebody."

Dotty's raised her eyes. "Oh," she drew the word out slowly.

"Mother," Amanda warned.

"You know darling," Dotty began.

"Mother don't," Amanda warned, already knowing where her mother would steer the conversation.

"Amanda, I just don't understand you. I don't think you've gone on a date in over six months. Work, work, work, that's all you do. Oh, well when you aren't dodging Federal agents with that adorable Mr. Stetson. The camera does loves him, why those photographs that that extremely rude agent showed me,".

Amanda quickly interrupted, "Mother, that adorable Mr. Stetson happens to be my boss, and I explained all of that to you."

"Oh, I know you did darling," Dotty said. "By the way, where did you say you were going tomorrow night again?"

"The Wyndmere Plantation," Amanda said.

"Oh, that's right. Amanda, I hear it's absolutely beautiful."

"So I've been told."

"Who are you going with?"

Amanda closed her eyes and began counting. She reached all of four when she replied back.

"With my boss. It's work Mother. This film organization hosts a yearly gala and every year IFF selects several employees to represent the company."

"And they just happened to pick you and Mr. Stetson?"

"Our department is going, and our supervisor and his assistant are going as well. Work related, it probably won't even be fun. You know how those things are."

"Hmm," Dotty mumbled. "Fun Amanda, you do remember fun, don't you?"

"Mother, just because Joe is dating somebody new doesn't mean that I have to be."

"Sure darling. What time will you be home?"

"Oh, I, ah, didn't say."

"I see," Dotty replied. "Are you going to be home Sunday evening? Captain Kurt and I are going somewhere, heavens I can't remember where, something about a new plane model but we'll be back around three. What time is Joe bringing the boys back?"

"He said it wouldn't be too late, because of school the next day, but definitely after dinner, probably between six and seven. They have a key to get in, just in case we're both out."

Dotty nodded. "And are you planning to be here?"

Amanda squirmed. She knew Lee had been hoping for a nice and very long weekend. She had not made him any promises as of yet for Sunday evening, although she knew he was hoping. He had seemed so excited when he told her about getting the room at the Regency. Knowing that Dotty would be home on Sunday evening, would give them the chance to stay the extra night.

"Well," she began, not quite sure how she should approach this without nudging her mother into full interrogation mode.

Before Amanda could answer her mother, Dotty picked up the clothes basket that had been sitting beside Amanda on the couch and placed it on the floor, then she sat down beside her daughter and looked her straight in the eye.

"Amanda, I'm not prying, really I'm not," Dotty began. She took not of her daughter's face and smiled before continuing.

"All I'm going to say Amanda, is this. Anytime, anytime darling that you want to spend the night out, you know, not come home until the next morning, you don't have to ask my permission. I understand, completely. I don't even need to know who. Now, I don't know what your plans are for tomorrow night, or even Sunday night. All I need to know Amanda is yes, you'll be home or no, you won't. I'll be back around three on Sunday and the boys are in good hands with Joe. I have Joe's number, he's got Captain Kurt's. So darling, go. Have a wonderful weekend. Relax, have fun."

"Mother," Amanda began but Dotty quieted her as she stood up and gave her daughter a quick kiss on the cheek..

"Amanda, a simple yes or no. Now, goodnight darling, sleep tight."

With that Dotty began walking away, intent on going upstairs and relaxing in bed with a good book.

"Mother?" Amanda called out before Dotty had gone too far up the stairs.

"Yes Amanda?"

"No," Amanda forced the word out quickly, before she lost her nerve completely.

"Goodnight Panda."

"Goodnight Mother."

SMK – SMK - SMK

The black limousine pulled up to Miss Kitty's residence at exactly five o'clock. Miss Kitty had insisted, and one did not argue with Miss Kitty. So, Lee Stetson and Francine's date for the evening, Nick Collins, now found themselves waiting in the parlor.

Lee had remained standing, his hazel eyes taking in the comfortable sitting room at Miss Kitty's. It exuded the same type of warmth that Amanda's home did. Thinking of her, he smiled in anticipation at what the weekend held in store for them.

He'd been pleasantly surprised, in fact even a bit shocked when Amanda had agreed in spending both Saturday and Sunday evening with him at the Regency. She said she'd taken care of the arrangements with Dotty for the boys, packed clothes for Sunday and for work on Monday. When Lee had picked her up earlier in the afternoon to drive her over to Miss Kitty's, Amanda had indeed packed her overnighter.

Lee's thoughts were interrupted as Miss Kitty ushered the women in. First Francine, and then Amanda. For what felt like an eternity, Lee simply stood still and drank her in as she entered the room, his hazel eyes appreciating the lovely vision she made. Then he proceeded to her slowly, mesmerized by her simply beauty.

Amanda forgot how to breathe as Lee approached her and took her hand in his. Desire danced through her as she felt the warmth of his touch and she took in how handsome he looked.

She shyly raised her gaze to his, her answering smile lighting her face in response to the warmth she saw in his hazel eyes.

Neither had spoken, yet the room seemed charged with their awareness of each other.

Lee lowered her hand, but did not release it, instead twining her fingers with his. The fine material of his tuxedo hugged his broad shoulders, latent power evident with every subtle movement.

"I'll be the envy of every man at Wyndmere tonight," he murmured, open admiration for her gentle beauty husking his voice.

A delicate blush tinted Amanda's cheeks and she dropped her gaze to his shirtfront, suddenly finding his shirt fascinating as the sheer emotion of the romantic moment overwhelmed her. He smiled gently at her as the extravagantly long lashes that had veiled the splendor of her eyes lifted once more and she looked directly at him.

Her dark hair was arranged in a chignon, adorned with tiny pink flowers, and loose tendrils framing her lovely face. Delicate pink earrings had replaced her usual diamonds.

Lee impulsively wrapped a stray tendril around his index finger, marveling at the luxuriant softness of her hair. He forced his gaze down, to take in her dress, which was nothing short of a fabric Picasso.

Fashioned of delicate dusky pink fabric, the bodice was cut just short of daring, skimming enticingly low and providing the perfect backdrop of slightly tanned flesh adorned with her diamond heart pendant. A soft pink sash of fabric enhanced her tiny waist and formed a sweet bow in the back. The skirt was typical southern belle, puffed out and flowing to the floor, where rows of ruffled pink lace enhanced the old-fashioned style. The skirt even swished as she moved and he was reminded of the scene in the movie when Mammy had worn the red lace petticoat that Rhett had given her. Lee smiled approvingly.

She had the shyest of smiles on her face and he could only guess what she must have been thinking. The dress was charming and yet proved to be quite alluring on her, the gentle pink color suiting her complexion while the cut alluded to her understated sensuality.

"Hi," she whispered.

"Hello," he responded back. "You look beautiful."

She blushed at his compliment.

"You're sure to be the belle of the ball," he told her.

Miss Kitty chose to speak, bringing the two sharply back to reality.

"Picture perfect, you two are," she said with a gleeful smile.

"Are you ready?" Lee asked her.

Amanda nodded.

"Miss Kitty, once again, I commend you on your work," Lee told the elder woman.

"Oh, I'm afraid I can't take all the credit Lee. Amanda's simply a rare beauty."

Amanda lowered her gaze to the floor, and Lee knew they were embarrassing her.

"Well, then I guess I shouldn't hold Cinderella up, the ball is waiting, me lady," he told her with a grin.

She brought her face back up to him and smiled sweetly, that adorable smile that always warmed his soul even on the darkest of days.

"Shall we?" he offered his arm and she accepted. Then Lee Stetson gallantly escorted her out to the awaiting limo, followed by Nick and a grinning Francine.

The ride to Warrenton was filled with idle chatter from the foursome. Francine's date was a handsome young lawyer who happened to know Joe King from some previous shared dealings. He shared the fact that Amanda's ex-husband talked highly of his ex-wife and how she had done such a marvelous job of raising their two sons.

Nick and Lee also discussed several football players and how their relative injuries would hinder them for the bowl games, still months away. Francine and Amanda simply rolled their eyes and smirked. But the conversation was light and enjoyable and before they knew it they had arrived at their destination.

Once outside of the limo, Amanda let out a little gasp as she took in the expansive beauty that was the Wyndmere plantation.

"Oh, gosh," she whispered.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Lee whispered into her ear.

Lee took her arm and led her up the steps, followed by Francine and Nick. Once inside, they met Billy and Jeannie.

"Lee, Amanda," Billy called out. "Francine."

The foursome made their way over to where Billy and Jeannie were chatting with an unknown man.

"Billy, Jeannie," Lee greeted them.

Billy made the introductions.

"This is Hayward Hall, president of the NAG&P. Hayward, this is Lee Stetson and Amanda King. I was telling you about them earlier."

"Good evening, Mr. Stetson," Hayward said as he shook Lee's hand. Then he turned and greeted Amanda.

"My, my Billy, where have you been hiding this lovely angel? We could put her talents to use in front of the camera, not behind it. I'm positive the camera would love her."

Amanda blushed. "Thank you," she said.

"Hayward, this is Francine Desmond and her escort, Nick Collins."

Hayward smiled at Francine. "Charming. Melrose, you've been holding out on us. You must have the prettiest employees around. It's been a pleasure meeting all of you, I hope to get a chance to speak to you more before the evening is over. Now if you'll excuse me?"

The group spoke the farewells and Hayward moved off to mingle.

Jeannie came up to Amanda. "Amanda, I haven't seen you in ages. How are you doing? How are the boys adjusting to another new school year?"

"Oh, they're fine," Amanda replied. "They keep me busy."

Jeannie nodded knowingly. "I remember. I kept praying for the day our eldest daughter could drive."

Amanda shook her head. "It's hard to believe that's not that far away for Philip."

"They grow up too quick."

Amanda nodded. "They do."

Billy came over to them, a happy smile on his face. "Ok you two, now remember, enjoy yourselves tonight."

Lee grinned. "Is that an order?"

Billy nodded. "That's an order. Now go, have fun. That's what Jeannie and I intend on doing. And Amanda?"

"Yes sir?"

"Be a good girl, and don't find any trouble," Billy said before guiding his wife away, leaving Lee and Amanda standing by themselves. Francine and her date had already moved away.

Lee clasped Amanda's hand in his and led her through the throng of people. They managed to thread their way to the back of the house and out onto the patio. The outside was decorated with additional lighting, revealed a beautiful landscaped yard that seemed to go on for miles.

"This place is magnificent," Amanda whispered to him as she looked around and took it all in.

"Yes, it is."

They continued walking until they had found a decorative bench perched under a tree, seemingly just awaiting them.

Lee beckoned her to sit. She did so. As he settled down beside her, he took note of her hands, smoothing down the fabric of her gown.

She was nervous and he fought the urge to pull her into his arms. That would have been like entering dangerous territory. All he wanted to do was make love to her, here and now. Instead he took her hand in his, linking their fingers. A soft tug rewarded him with a gentle turn from her, to face him. As she moved closer, Lee's senses swam as the intoxicating scent of her perfume was released into the air around him.

"You know what?" he asked her.

"What?"

"I lucked out. I've got the prettiest girl here tonight."

"You're silly," she told him.

Lee shook his head. "No, I'm in love."

Amanda could only smile as he gave her a quick kiss on the lips. She didn't think she would ever tire of him telling her that.

"And you are beautiful Amanda," he told her.

He moved in again for another kiss, lowering his mouth slowly to hers, giving in to the desire and losing himself completely to her.

Amanda's dark eyes drifted shut at his touch and she slid her hands up his broad chest to circle his neck.

As he kissed her lightly, she moaned softly and slid one hand up further, letting her fingers drift through his hair.

Lee deepened their kiss, running his tongue gently over her bottom lip before claiming the interior of her mouth. Untold moments passed as they became lost, not quite able to get enough of each other.

Lee whispered her name and eased his mouth to trail gentle kisses from her jaw to the column of her throat. Despite the cool of the evening air, the heat between them warded off any chill. Lee's rationale was rapidly fading, replaced by his overwhelming desire for Amanda. When he was finally able to lift his mouth from her and gaze at her, he smiled.

She opened her dark eyes slowly and focused upon him, giving him one of her trademark smiles.

"Wow," she whispered.

SMK – SMK - SMK

Four hours later they had mingled, eaten, danced, and spoken with so many people that Amanda had lost track. She was having a marvelous time. The majority of her dances had been with Lee, though she'd shared a few with Billy and Hayward. Now though, she was nestled securely in Lee's arms as they moved on the dance floor, earning them interested glances being cast their way. There was no way either could conceal the happiness that washed over them this evening. Not that either noticed, so lost in each other they were.

A slow ballad's haunting strains filled the room, as couples drifted slowly on the dance floor. Amanda had closed her eyes, lost in the moment with the music and the feel of Lee's strong arms holding her. She was floating on a heavenly cloud and the outside world of work and children had ceased to exist. She felt like she was dancing on air, being held in his arms.

Lee gazed at her and wondered if he could be any happier than what he was at this very moment. He'd known for a long time that he was in love with Amanda. Whatever reasons had prevented him from admitting it must have been completely absurd, lacking any type of logical substance, he thought. Looking at her tonight Lee knew exactly what their future was, together, as man and wife, forever. She was like a heaven sent answer to a prayer that he had never realized had been prayed.

He grinned as he contemplated the thought. Yes, he wanted to marry Amanda King. There was no more doubt regarding that. If he would have had a ring, Lee Stetson was positive that he would have proposed to her tonight. It would make the perfect Christmas gift, he thought. He anticipated how her face would light up, how those beautiful dark eyes would sparkle as much as any diamond. Lee acknowledged the fact that he could start his holiday shopping now.

Realizing that she had not said anything for some time, he felt the sudden need to hear her speak.

"Sleepy?" he whispered in her ear.

"Hmm?" she asked in a lazy voice.

Lee chuckled. "I thought you might be going to sleep on me."

Amanda looked up into his eyes and smiled. "No, I'm just enjoying the moment," she told him.

Lee brought one hand up to caress her cheek. "We could leave," he hinted softly.

"Do you want to?" she asked cautiously. She gazed into his eyes, feeling her heart tripping faster and wondering if he could hear it over the lovely notes of the music surrounding them.

"I told you before Amanda, you make the calls," he reminded her.

She thought it over for a moment. It was nearing midnight and they had had a wonderful time but her feet were beginning to ache and she was more than ready to escape the presence of everybody else. She wanted nothing more than to lock themselves in a room, away from everyone. Thoughts of what they could do in a room, alone and finally uninterrupted made her insides tingle with excitement.

"Yeah," she told him, a mischievous sparkle brightening her dark eyes.

They finished the dance and as the last notes of the song echoed across the room, Lee guided her off the dance floor and towards the front door. It took them several minutes to actually get near the door, with several stops for polite conversation.

Lee left Amanda standing with Jeannie while he went to summon their limo driver.

"Leaving Amanda?" Jeannie asked.

Amanda nodded. "Long day," she offered the older woman.

Jeannie Melrose smiled and nodded. She'd watched the younger couple both on the dance floor and a few times when they'd ventured out into the back patio area. Jeannie Melrose knew the look of love when she saw it, the gentle smiles that were meant only for the Scarecrow and the adoring glances that came from Lee's hazel eyes when he looked at Amanda. There was no doubting that the two were completely smitten with one another. Jeannie half anticipated the announcement of engagement before the year's end.

Lee had returned to Amanda's side, his one hand coming to rest in the small of Amanda's back.

"Where's Billy?" Lee asked.

Jeannie shrugged. "Oh, he's talking to somebody. Amanda tells me that you two are calling it a night."

"Yeah, Amanda's had a long day."

"Of course, well I won't hold you two up. It was nice seeing you again Amanda. Don't be a stranger, call me, we'll do lunch sometime when your ogre of a partner gives you a spare moment."

"Very funny," Lee said.

Amanda just smiled. "I'd love to, I promise, we will."

Jeannie gave Amanda a hug. "Keep him out of trouble. Goodnight you two."

"Goodnight," both Lee and Amanda told her.

Lee escorted Amanda out the door and towards the waiting limo.

"I do hope Francine doesn't want to leave soon," Amanda said, once she settled into her seat.

Lee chuckled. "The driver will be back in less than half an hour, not that Francine's going to want to leave anytime before one."

"That's true," Amanda said. She had observed Francine and Nick mingling, both had seemed quite content to mingle until well after the cows came home.

Once inside the hotel, they only waited a few moments before the desk clerk handed them their key and an envelope for Lee. He immediately opened it and pulled out a set of keys that Amanda recognized as belonging to the Vette. She looked at him curiously.

"Friend did me a favor, brought it over for us while I was getting ready earlier."

She nodded in understanding. Lee took her hand and they made their way to the elevator. Once inside Amanda surprised him. She kicked her shoes off and knelt down to pick them up. When she looked at him, she simply shrugged.

"My feet hurt," she informed him.

The walk from the elevator to their door was quiet, neither saying a thing. They stopped just outside of the door.

Lee took her free hand in his. "Amanda," he began.

Before he could finish, Amanda shook her head and placed her fingers on his lips.

"I am sure," she told him. "Senior agent gets to share the bed," she informed him with a radiant smile. Then she leaned in and kissed him, her lips telling him everything he had been questioning.

Lee pulled her into his arms, cupped her face, and kissed her.

"God, I love you," he groaned as he paused for air.

She looked into his handsome face and smiled. Everything felt like a dream, the intensity of emotions made her pulse race, and Amanda wrapped her arms around him, not entirely sure that her feet were still on the ground.

Lee's thumb brushed her cheek, his touch ignited sparks and she leaned in closer against him.

"I love you," she told him.

Lee lowered his mouth to hers, both losing themselves completely to the wonder of the emotion of being in love.

He kissed her lightly, teasing her with a light sensation and she sighed. Her knees felt weak and she pressed closer to him as he murmured her name. Amanda wanted to remain in his arms for the rest of time.

She opened her eyes and focused on Lee's face.

"Make love to me..." she murmured.

SMK – SMK - SMK

Billy and Jeannie had just turned the corner to go down the hallway leading to their room when Jeannie tugged her husband to an abrupt stop.

He glanced down the hallway and saw why his beautiful wife had brought them to a halt. Then he grinned.

Halfway down the hall, caught up in an embrace that revealed far more than either agent ever would confess verbally, were Lee and Amanda. Amanda's shoes were dangling carelessly from one hand while her other hand was encircled around Lee Stetson's neck.

Scarecrow's arms were wrapped around Amanda's waist, well actually a bit lower, and he was holding her quite affectionately. The two younger people were pressed as close as Amanda's gown allowed, kissing. Passionately.

Billy and Jeannie quietly backed up and around the corner, knowing that neither young agent had seen them. Lee and Amanda were quite obviously caught up in their own private universe.

SMK – SMK - SMK

Amanda's voice was seductive, soft, and undeniable. Lee's eyes darkened with desire as he gazed into her eyes.

Amanda slowly opened her brown eyes, a little afraid that if she did the magic would fade away. She was afraid to let go, fearful that the dream would end and she would wake up. Instead, she discovered Lee's hazel eyes looking down at her, eyes full of desire. She felt him tug her a little closer, if that were even possible, and she sighed.

"I think we should take this inside," he replied.

Lee opened the door to their suite and then, in a rapid movement, swept her up into his arms and carried her inside.

Amanda giggled at the sensation of suddenly being cradled within his strength and she moved to wrap her arms around his neck while he kicked the door effectively shut with his foot behind them. For a brief moment in time, Amanda became lost in his kisses.

When she opened her eyes, she realized that he had carried her to the king size bed.

"Oh my gosh," she whispered. "It's beautiful," she said of their suite as she looked around.

Lee grinned. "You like?"

She nodded. "I suddenly think I'm glad that those two people canceled their wedding."

"Amanda," Lee chuckled. "Though it is to our benefit."

"I knew you'd see it my way," she told him.

Lee kissed her lips quickly, then pulled away. "Manda," he whispered.

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

His words were so simple and yet they conveyed so much.

"I love you," she quietly responded.

Lee lowered her to her feet, then pulled her close to him.

"Do you know how often I've imagined you saying that?" he asked.

"No," Amanda blushed.

"I've been a fool these past three years," he said.

"No, oh Lee, no, don't say that," Amanda told him.

"But you waited for me, how you had the patience Amanda, is beyond me."

She smiled. "I love you, I've always loved you. You're my best friend, and besides," she shrugged. "We both had things we needed to sort out."

He smiled back at her. "I don't want to lose you Amanda, you don't even have any idea how much I dread thinking I could mess this up."

"You won't," she told him. "I won't let you. After all, what are partners for?"

Lee bent his head to hers and kissed the corner of her mouth. Then he claimed her lips, revealing the total passion he had struggled for so long to keep in check. As desire pulsed through him, she pressed closer to his chest. He cradled the back of her head and with his other hand, draped her tiny waist, pressing her tight against his body.

Amanda's breath caught as his mouth covered hers fully and she felt her knees weaken. She had dreamed of this moment for so long. The passion between them roared to life, becoming so intense she thought that she would simply collapse into a boneless puddle at Lee's feet. The sensation of his lips, the smell of his cologne, the heat emanating from him combined into a very lethal combination.

From somewhere in the back of her mind, Amanda registered his hand on her back, and then the slow tug at the zipper of her gown. She laid her head against him, closing her eyes and savoring in the feel of him as he slowly, ever so slowly, lowered the zipper.

When he'd lowered it completely, his fingers parted the garment and stroked her now exposed back. The touch sent shivers through her and she trembled.

He undid the bow and then returned his hands to her shoulders. Amanda acknowledged his fingers sliding the satiny fabric down, until her gown lay in a gentle heap of rose fabric at her feet.

She raised her face to him and smiled.

"Make love to me Lee," she pleaded.

He nodded. "All night long," he volunteered.

She smiled. "Oh, yeah."

He once again scooped her up and then lowered her down onto the bed, slowly and carefully, treating her as though she were a porcelain doll. Amanda kept her eyes focused on his. He lowered himself down beside her, stretching out his long legs.

"So," she said quietly.

"Yeah," he replied.

He rolled over and traced a finger over her lips.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you are tonight?"

"Yes," she replied.

"You are, you know." He leaned in for a kiss, starting slowly, gently igniting the passion that had simmered between them for a very, very long time.

As they kissed, his right hand had moved to caress her cheek and then had begun a lazy trail downward, first along the edge of her jaw and then down the soft skin of her neck. His lips began following a similar trail, until he reached her shoulder. Then he teased her, placing tiny little kisses all the way over and then down her arm.

Amanda had closed her eyes, losing herself within his pleasant torture. The sensations he created were so overpowering that if it weren't for the safety net of the bed beneath her, she felt sure she would slip and fall away into an abyss.

She wrapped her arms around him then, suddenly afraid to let go. Her heart had been beating rapidly since they had come to stand outside the door of the suite, but now it fairly hammered triple time. Amanda wasn't even sure she could still breathe. And then, the enormity of it all hit her fairly square in the chest. She loved this man so much, wanted him so much, so badly, that it was scaring her to death.

Without warning the tears began to fall.

"Manda," he whispered gently. "What's wrong baby?"

Lee felt horrible, the woman he loved was supposed to be having the night of her dreams and instead, was crying in his arms.

"I love you," she managed to say, her lips trembling and her beautiful dark eyes now a brown liquid pool.

"And I love you," he told her. "Manda, honey, what's wrong?"

He pulled her up into a sitting position and hugged her close to his chest.

When she didn't answer him, he tipped her chin up so that he could look her straight in the eye.

"Amanda, if you don't want to do this, we don't have to," he said gently as he brushed the tears away from her cheek with his other hand.

"I do," she sniffled. "Want to, that is. I just," she paused. "I love you so much Lee Stetson that it frightens me. You don't have any idea how long I've loved you, hoped that one day," she smiled through her tears, "well, fantasized about a night like this."

She blinked back tears and inhaled before she could continue. "But we were so very different, and I knew it would never happen, it was just a fairy tale. And yet, here, tonight," Amanda paused as she reached out to touch his face.

She skimmed her front teeth over her bottom lip and swallowed. "Tonight, I think I believe in fairy tales," she whispered.

"Fairy tales, Amanda?" he asked her gently. "Once upon a time," he said as he kissed her again. "There was a beautiful princess and a hopelessly lost agent."

Amanda giggled, but he placed his fingers over her lips.

"As I was saying, a hopelessly lost agent who just happened one morning to stumble into what he'd been waiting for all of his life. And finally, after far too many months of dancing around buried emotions and missed opportunities, the princess managed to infiltrate the agent's very own personal emotional security system, shattering down all of the walls he'd built up around his heart."

Lee skimmed a whisper of a kiss across her lips. "He made her feel like they could touch the moonlight, dance on air, and live happily ever after."

Amanda reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, holding him tightly and delighting in the feel of him.

"So how does it end?" she asked.

Lee smiled. "It ends like any good fairy tale Amanda. The Scarecrow married the princess and they lived happily ever after."

"I like the sound of that," she replied.

"Do you?"

Amanda nodded, then kissed him. "I think the princess loves all of the Scarecrow's ideas."

Lee waggled his eyebrows

and chuckled. "Really? How about this then?"

At this point the lights fade out, the camera backs away, and all we hear is a giggle from Amanda.

Hey, I think there's a rating system around here, and while I could end this for you, I'm not sure the censors would approve of me posting it, do we even have a rating for that hot and steamy?

Besides, I know y'all got imaginations, so you can fill in the remainder of Amanda and Lee's weekend.

Just be sure to have them both report in at IFF bright and early Monday morning. We wouldn't want Dr. S. giving them any grief, now would we?

And on that note, kiddies, I'm going for a nice cold glass of ice-tea.

Hope you enjoyed.