- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King is the property of Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Enterprises. This story is for entertainment purposes only. No infringement of rights is intended.
Part 1

Lee pulled to the side of the deserted road and peered out his window through
the sheets of rain. He had been working late with Amanda when he received a
phone call from one of his family and together they had decided to venture
out into the unusually stormy, summer night. He'd been glad for the
interruption. Sitting alone in the darkened office with Amanda was more than
distracting. He couldn't seem to get his mind to focus on anything but her
and how beautiful she was and how much he just wanted to sweep her off her
feet and kiss her senseless. Ever since the first kiss a few short months
ago, he couldn't seem to get enough of her. However, he held back,
desperately trying to take things slow, not wanting to push her.

Now he turned in his seat to face Amanda. The soft light from the street
played on her features and Lee admired the view for a few seconds. "You
ready?"

"Sure." She answered hesitantly.

The grim expression on her face made Lee chuckle.

"Hey," he put his hand on her knee and flashed a charming smile. "I just have
to meet this contact, get some information and we're outta here. Simple."

"I know that," she grumbled, but quickly relaxed as his hand came to rest on
her leg. His touch had sent a tingle down her spine and warmed her whole
body. Shaking her head trying to focus on the task at hand, she voiced her
concern."Something just doesn't feel right."

"Well... " he gestured to the space around him, "you can stay in the car." He
kept a straight face but there was a twinkle in his eyes.

Amanda arched one eyebrow, catching on to his teasing. "I don' t think so,
Scarecrow."

"Suit yourself." Slowly opening his door, he climbed out and Amanda did the
same. Lee took her hand in his as she came around the car and they ran to the
dark alley seeking some cover from the pouring rain.

They stood in the shadows, quickly surveying their surroundings. No one was
on the street. Everything was quiet.

After a moment Amanda spoke up. "Are you sure he's coming?"

Lee looked at his watch then down the alley and to the street. "This is
unusual. He's never been late before." Worry was evident on his face.

Just then a tan sedan pulled to the curb across the street. The engine died
and the lights were turned off but whoever was driving remained in the car.
Lee and Amanda stayed hidden in the shadows.

"Scarecrow."

Lee turned from the street to look down the alley. "O'Connor?" He shouted.
The man came closer and Lee called out again in a gruff voice. "What's going
on?"

"It's not safe," O'Connor said hurriedly, glancing nervously at the street
then back over his shoulder.

Lee pulled his gun from its holster. "What do you mean it's not safe?"

"I think someone's been following me."

Suddenly a shot rang out and ricocheted off the building behind O'Connor's
head. Amanda immediately took cover behind a dumpster. Lee ducked down and
returned the shot with one of his own and O'Connor took off back down the
alley. At Lee's second shot the gunman sprinted across the street and jumped
into the sedan. The driver gunned the engine and peeled out, tires squealing
on the wet asphalt. With his window rolled down, he took easy aim at the
'vette's tire and shot twice. Lee ran to the street just in time to see the
sedan disappear around the corner.

"Great, just great." Lee reholstered his gun and bent to look at his back
tire.

Amanda rose from her spot behind the dumpster and walked over to Lee. "Do you
have a spare?"

"Yes," he sighed. "I'll have to put it on. At least the rain's letting up
some."

"What about your contact?"

"There's nothing I can do now. O'Connor can take care of himself." Suddenly,
thunder crashed overhead and the rain picked up again.

Amanda tried to suppress a smile at Lee's exasperated look. "I'll just wait
over here." She pointed to the safety of the alley and the building with a
slight overhang that could protect her from the storm.

"Oh, thanks."

"I would just get in the way." Amanda smiled sweetly.

"I don't..." Lee started, then stopped himself and sighed. There was no use
in arguing with her. Besides she would be safe against the wall in the
shadows.

Amanda watched quietly as Lee changed the tire, absolutely drenched from the
rain. 'I'll have to get him out of those wet clothes soon, or he'll catch a
cold.' Amanda stopped her thoughts as she felt a blush creep across her
cheeks. 'What am I thinking' she scolded herself. 'I'm thinking about getting
Lee out of those wet clothes,' her subconscious answered.

As Amanda waited her mind continued to wander with thoughts of Lee. 'Well, he
isn't helping any, looking so sexy with wet hair and the front of his shirt
plastered to his chest and...oh my gosh.' She stopped herself again, fighting
to keep her flaring emotions in check. Though, it seemed, he was all she
could think about lately. When he had finally kissed her in the Q-Bureau last
spring, she had been so happy. Things had progressed since then but she could
tell he was holding back. She figured he was tentatively waiting for her to
make the next move. 'I don't blame him,' she thought. 'I can't even tell what
I want.'

Lee finally finished with the tire and looked over at Amanda. She had a
strange look on her face. He walked over to her and she cleared her throat,
seeming slightly embarrassed.

"All done!" He reached for her hand. They darted around the car, Lee opening
the door for her. She reached across the 'vette to open his door from the
inside as he came back around. He climbed in then wiped the water from his
face. "Amanda, do you mind if we stop at my place so I can change?"

"Sure. That's fine, just fine."

Lee grinned, his dimples suddenly showing on his handsome face. Amanda's
breath caught in her throat. She had never seen him look so good. Their eyes
locked and sparks flew. He would deny her nothing when she looked at him that
way. Shaken by the intensity of the feelings he felt, and those clearly
etched on Amanda's features, he tore his gaze from hers. He was tired of
hiding his strong feelings for her, but he wasn't sure what she wanted.

As Lee pulled away from the curb both shared the same thought. 'Maybe...just
maybe...'

Part 2

Lee unlocked the door to his apartment and held it open for Amanda.

"I'm just going to go change. Will you be ok?"

"Oh yeah." She took off her coat. "I'm not the one who’s all wet."

"Oh, uh-huh" he inched towards her.

"Umm hmm" she agreed and took a step back. She caught the playful look in his
eyes a second to late.

Lee lunged towards her and she turned to run, seeking safety behind the
couch. But she wasn't fast enough. Lee's strong, wet arms came around her
from behind and he pulled her tight against his body. Amanda shrieked and Lee
started laughing. He turned her in his arms still keeping her close to his
body trying to transfer as much water from his clothes to hers as he could.
Playfully shaking his head, tiny droplets of water flew from his hair and
landed on Amanda's face and neck. As he watched her, he suddenly realized how
close they were and how beautiful she was. Dark brown eyes focused on deep
hazel ones and time stood still. Lee bent forward as his eyes drifted to her
lips. Amanda closed her eyes 'Oh my gosh.'

Suddenly he pulled away and turned his head. Amanda's eyes flew open.

"Ahh-choo!"

Amanda's motherly instincts took over. "Lee, you need to change and take a
warm shower."

"Yeah, Ok." Lee sighed. Once again something had come between his lips and
Amanda's. He thought that would pass, but even now, it seemed they couldn't
catch a break. Somewhat dejected, and cold, he turned towards his room.

Recognizing the look on his face, she tried to think of something to raise
his spirits, thinking she had ruined the moment with her motherly concern.
"Do you have anything in the fridge? I could make dinner." A nice, romantic
dinner, that would improve his mood.

"Yeah, I think there are steaks in the freezer and stuff for a salad."

Amanda opened the fridge to see for herself. "That's unusual, you actually
have food in here." She thought it evidence of her influence on him.

"Very funny." Lee called from the bedroom. Amanda smiled to herself and
started on dinner.

***

Lee spent longer than planned in the hot shower, letting his mind wander with
thoughts of Amanda joining him under the steamy water. He changed quickly.
The smell of the steak drifted from the kitchen and he noted she had set the
table. Two candles burned softly among the china and the silverware. Padding
barefoot into the kitchen, he couldn't help but smile. 'I could get used to
this.'

"That smells great." Lee came up behind her in the kitchen. Amanda jumped,
startled from her own daydreams. She noted his dark blue t-shirt, which fit
snugly across his chest and his tight, faded jeans. Her eyes lingered on his
large biceps then his strong forearms, clearly visible under the short
sleeves of his shirt. Finally meeting his eyes, she sighed quietly, partly
from relief, partly from disappointment. She had been picturing him emerging
from his room...clad only in a towel. 'What are you thinking Amanda,' she
scolded herself, 'just stop it.'

"It's almost done." She answered.

"Great I'll get a bottle of wine."

They sat close together at the table while they enjoyed each other’s company,
talking softly and laughing.

Amanda decided she could easily get lost in his beautiful hazel eyes.

"I'll clean these up." Amanda stood taking the plates off the table. She
needed a moment to think.

"I'll do it," Lee offered.

"No, after all, you changed that tire by yourself. Go relax on the couch.
I'll be there in a minute."

"Okay."

Amanda took the dishes to the kitchen and put them in the sink. She sighed
softly; torn between her beliefs and her desire to be with the man she loved.
The thought of being intimate with Lee scared her just a little but the
thought of losing him scared her even more. Being shot at was an everyday
thing for him. Tonight was evidence of that. If there was one thing she had
learned, over and over again, in the last three years it was that life is
precious...and short. After spending an eternity coming to grips with her
feelings for Lee then waiting another eternity for him to come around, she
wanted to take advantage of every second they had together.

"Amanda?" Lee called from the other room. When she didn't answer right away
he headed for the kitchen. 'Maybe she didn't hear me.'

Breaking from her thoughts, Amanda turned, intending to go see what he
needed; unaware he had come in behind her.

"Oh!" She exclaimed, running smack into his broad chest. He grabbed her arms
to keep her from falling backwards.

"I...uh..." his voice faltered. He pulled her closer and for the second time
that night leaned towards her. He was determined this time to taste her lips.
He brushed his mouth across hers gently then sighed her name. "Amanda..." his
voice has heavy with desire and emotion.

Part 3

When he breathed her name against her lips, she felt her knees go weak.

He pulled her tight, up against his body to keep her mouth from leaving his.
Her hands slid up his chest and around behind his neck, clinging to him.
Moving his hands to her lower back, he wrapped his arms tight around her
waist.

Amanda allowed herself to get lost in the moment, wanting nothing more that
to stay here with Lee. Her mother and her boys were gone and she couldn’t go
home alone to an empty house, that was part of the reason she came here in
the first place. Amanda pulled back to take a breath and look into his eyes.

If she wasn’t so sure of their love for each other, staying with Lee would
never be an option. But she was sure. She knew she loved him with all her
heart and soul and she knew he felt the same way. Even if he couldn't find
the right words she saw it in his eyes. Now, as he watched her carefully, she
could see his uncertainty, his desire and his love for her.

"Amanda, I..., " his voice was husky.

She smiled shyly and brushed the back of her fingers across his cheek.

"Lee," she sighed. The uncertainty slowly dissolved from his eyes. She took
his left hand in her right and led him from the kitchen and into his darkened
bedroom.

Gaining courage from her bold actions Lee found his voice again. "Amanda...
are you sure?" Her gaze was intense, burning into him and stealing his
breath.

"I'm sure."

Lee took her face between his hands and pulled her to him for a passionate
kiss. His tongue teased her bottom lip and she allowed him entrance. This was
all he ever wanted. All he could hope for. He wondered what he had ever done
to deserve her. Her loyalty never wavering, she was the most giving and
caring person he had ever known. She had always been there for him, and now
here she was, giving her heart and her body to him when he still hadn't found
the words to do his feelings justice.

Stopping suddenly, he pulled back from her yet still cradling her face in his
hands. He couldn't do this without telling her how strongly he felt. She
looked at him with wide eyes.

"Amanda... I love you."

Her eyes softened and she tilted her head slightly. "I know."

Running his hand through his hair he tried to explain his declaration. "And
I'm not just saying that because... because this. I've loved you for a very
long time; I was just never able to... to tell you." He had never felt this
way about anyone and he needed her to understand what she meant to him.

"Lee," she put her hand on his cheek, guiding his eyes back to hers. "I love
you, too." His nervous anticipation quieted any doubts floating in her mind
when she fully realized he was putting his heart into it.

He kissed her again, then moved his lips along her jaw line to her ear and
down her neck. Her skin was so soft. His right hand came to rest on her lower
back, keeping her pressed against his body. His left hand caressed her hip
then moved up her side to cup her breast. Slowly rubbing his thumb over her
nipple, it stiffened immediately under his touch.

Her body came alive under his touch and she marveled at the feelings he was
arising in her. Wanting to return the favor, Amanda ran her hands down his
chest then back up under his t-shirt and he leaned back to allow her to pull
it over his head. The shirt fell forgotten to the floor as she started
placing hot kisses on his smooth chest.

Kissing and nipping at her neck, he slowly unbuttoned her blouse. As he
pushed the blouse off her shoulders, she reached for the button on his jeans.
Their kisses were becoming more and more heated and he sucked in his breath
as he felt her fingers fumbling against his stomach. Her hand brushed over
his arousal as she lowered his zipper. Reaching for the button of her slacks,
his hands trembled slightly. He stepped out of his jeans when they hit the
floor and kicked them aside.

Amanda admired his body, now covered only by his blue boxers. He was even
more breathtaking than in her fantasies and she finally had the real thing.

Lee slowly lowered her slacks down her long legs. Using his shoulders to
support her, she stepped away from her discarded clothes and he rose to face
her again. Taking her hand in his, he led her to the bed, pulling back the
covers. She laid down then pulled him down next to her.

Lee took her in his arms and his hands wandered over her body. Pulling her
close to his chest, he quickly unhooked her bra and that too was discarded on
the floor. He kissed her collarbone then lowered his lips to her breast.

"Mmmm," she murmured as he kissed her nipple, bringing it between his lips
and flicking it with his tongue. Amanda's sighs of pleasure only encouraged
Lee to continue his ministrations. He kissed his way across her chest to her
other breast and sucked the nipple into his mouth. She moaned and arched her
back giving more of herself to him. His left hand drifted across her stomach
and down to her center. Amanda held her breath, barely containing her
passion. He softly stroked her, then nudged her legs apart and let one long
finger dip inside her.

"Lee... "she moaned. No one had ever made her feel more desired. Needing and
wanting more, she pushed his boxers from his hips and down his legs. Taking
his hardened penis in her hand, she slowly moved her fingers and palm over
his soft, hot skin.

Lee groaned. One touch from her sent him soaring.

"Lee please... " she breathed.

Moving his head to meet her gaze he found her eyes dark with passion. "You
are so beautiful," he whispered softly.

She ran one hand through his hair, then to the back of his neck and he moved
his long body over hers. Wrapping her legs around his waist, she opened her
thighs for him and he pressed his tip against her opening. She moved her hips
upward as he thrust downward. The union left them both breathless.

Slowly he began to move, pulling out until he barely remained inside her then
plunging back into her warm depths. They quickly found their rhythm and each
thrust brought them closer and closer to the edge. Placing soft kisses in her
hair, on her face and down her neck, he breathlessly murmured words of love.

She ran her hands across his back, now damp with sweat, then dug her fingers
into his shoulders as her muscles tightened around him and spasms began to
rack her body. Wave after wave of ecstasy washed over her and she called out
his name.

Her passion sent him over the edge and he buried his face in the crook of her
neck releasing himself into her.
The closeness he felt to her was incredible, it was the feeling of holding
her in his arms, in his heart and in his soul.

Easing his weight off her small form he laid next to her and pulled her
close. She rested her head on his chest and placed her hand over his heart.

"I love you so much." He whispered into her hair when his breathing returned
to normal.

"I love you, Lee." She nestled closer to his warm body and entangled their
legs under the sheets. She felt safe and content, more so than ever before.

Soon, they fell asleep in each other's arms. It was the deep sleep of two
people finally able to rest, after spending half a lifetime searching for
each other.

The End