- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: The characters of Scarecrow and Mrs. King do not belong to me. They are owned by Warner Brothers and Shoot the Moon Productions.
Lee Stetson held the small, wrapped box in his long, slim fingers. He shook the offering ever so slightly. Faint, tinkling rattles were heard from the interior of the cardboard. He smiled. He had searched high and low for the contents of that box. For months now he had combed jewelry stores, novelty shops, and even antique emporiums. He had known exactly what he wanted and he had refused to be thwarted in his quest. He had been successful and just in time, too.

Today was their anniversary. Not in the usual sense of the word. Today was not the marking of the time they had exchanges wedding vows. Today was the marking of the time that fate had smiled on him. Fate had smiled on him and gave the local weatherman the sense to predict a 35% chance of rain. Of course that was all that the man had sense enough to do.

He had not had sense enough to hold onto Amanda. That idiot... Dan or Don... or whatever... had not held onto her and instead Fate had decreed that she would be his.

True, he had not recognized her at first. He had pushed and shoved and did everything he could to deny that which had been handed to him. She had stood by him through more national crisis than anybody else he knew. They'd seen everything, from mothers rampaging against chemical weapons, to nuclear bombs. Together, they had faced it all. Finally, he had seen her for what she was, a beautiful, brave, intelligent, not to mention patient woman.

Ever since that day, he'd thanked the Fates for putting a 35% chance of rain in the forecast. On that day, seven years ago, she had walked into his life and he had not been the same since. Tonight he hoped to show her exactly how blessed he felt to be part of her life.

For the last two months, he had been collecting the items in the box he now held. Each one held significance in the scheme of their relationship. Each item was a symbol of some great or small turning point in the best years of his life. By giving them to her, he hoped to convey the love he felt blossoming and growing each time they were together.

Tonight they would be alone for the first time in many weeks. Work and family had kept them busy for much of the time. What was left just wasn't adequate to provide them the closeness they desired.

The boys were with Joe. Dotty was with her sister, Lillian. They had the house to themselves. He hoped to wine her, dine her, and then surprise her with the best gift he had ever given her. He checked his watch. She had been finishing up a report for Billy when he left the Q Bureau. She had promised just 15 more minutes then she would be right behind him. That had been 35 minutes ago. She should be walking in the door any minute.

He heard her car in the drive. He saw the play of headlights on the window glass. He felt the shiver of anticipation that always overcame him when he knew they were about to be reunited, whether after two days or two hours. He pushed the small box into his pocket.

The back door opened and he watched her as she entered the home they had shared for two years now. She looked at him, standing in the door, waiting for her. She came to him and caressed his smooth face. "Hey there, big fella. Been waiting long?"

He inhaled her fragrance, sweet jasmine and fresh air. The scent assaulted his anticipating senses. She leaned into his body and he felt her warmth. He leaned down and took her lips with his. She tasted warm and welcoming. "Not long, just forever." He breathed his answer against her ear. His arms were around her back, rubbing and caressing the slim bones of her spine. He buried his face in her hair and breathed deeply.

Amanda wrapped her arms around his shoulders. She stood on tiptoe and kissed him deeply. He opened his mouth to her questing tongue. She skimmed over his lips them entered the warmth he offered. He tasted of the wine she saw resting on the counter. Warm, rich, delightful. The texture of his mouth sent shivers through her frame. His groan of pleasure coursed straight through her. Always eager to share the physical side of their love, she pulled away slightly and looked up into his face. "So are you ready to go upstairs?"

"No way."

Surprised, "No?"

"No. We have some other things to do right now."

"Other things?"

"Yes ma'am."

Slowly, evaluatingly, "What other things?"

"Well, first we have dinner, filet mignion, salad, and a wonderful red wine that reminds me of you: deep, rich, flavorful and easy to get lost in." As he spoke his hands continued to roam up and down her back, occasionally moving forward to brush against the sides of her breasts.

"Okay that sounds good. What next?" She threw her head back to afford him better access to the spot on her collarbone he was now caressing with the tip of his tongue.

After a moment he raised his head and replied, "Well, then we adjourn to the family room for an evening of dancing by candlelight and then I just may have a little surprise for you."

"Surprise? What's the occasion?" Her eyes were closed as he was feathering tiny kisses across the planes of her face between words.

After all these years, she still remained amazed that he remembered what today was. Amanda thought about the day. October 3rd. The day they met. This was the day that her life changed forever. She knew that she would always thank the fates that gave Dean the knowledge to predict a 35% chance of rain that day so long ago.

She loved the fact that Lee remembered the day as well. He chose to celebrate the fact that he was privileged to love this wonderful woman. She chose to celebrate the fact that she was loved by this wonderful man.

Later that evening…

Lee Stetson held his wife in his arms and swayed to the soft, rich tones of the sensuous music emanating from the stereo. The lights were dimmed, the candles flickered in the soft air from the open patio doors. He held her from behind. She rested her slim back against his wide chest. He rested his head on her soft hair. He never tired of holding her. She fit against him perfectly. Her softness meshed with his hardness in all the right places. Her curves fit his planes like the pieces of a puzzle. Separate they were two parts. Together they were one whole. He stilled their movement and gently tugged her around to face him. He led her to the couch and sat beside her.

"Time for your surprise."

"Oh Lee, I wish you hadn't. We never have given gifts on this day. Just knowing that you're mine is gift enough for me."

"I feel the same way. But I wanted, needed to show you how very special each day, each moment of our lives together has been to me. I hope you can understand the significance of each one. I searched for weeks for some of these."

Intrigued now by his description of the offering he held out to her, she reached for the small beribboned box and studied it seriously. She looked into his earnest face and knew how important it was to him that she realized just what she held in her hands. "Lee, what ever it is, knowing that it is from you will forever make it precious to me." At his nod she shook the box gently. It tinkled softly. She began to pull the ribbon open very carefully. It would join the rest of the collection of ribbons in her closet. At his impatient sigh, she hurriedly put it aside and peeled the tape from the edge of the lid. She took a deep breath and pulled the covering from the box. The silver and gold links inside twinkled in the candlelight. "Oh Lee!" She reverently lifted the bracelet from the nest of white cotton. "It's a charm bracelet. I love it."

"Look at each one, Amanda."

With hands shaking form emotion she fingered each one on the chain. "A train"

"It's where I first found you."

Amusement crept into her voice, "An umbrella." They spoke together, "35% chance of rain." She leaned forward and brushed her mouth against his before looking at the next charm on the links.

"A 'Q', for the office."

"It's where I first knew that I loved you." He couldn't keep his distance from her anymore. He slid closer along the couch and scooped her onto his lap. She snuggled against him and continued to peruse the charms before her.

"A scarecrow for you. A rose for…?" She waited for the explanation.

"A rose for you and for all the roses that you deserved that I just couldn't bring myself to buy you."

"I don't need roses to know that you love me."

"But you deserve them. Go on, look at the next one."

"Oh, these are for the kids, a ball for Phillip, a book for Jamie, a rainbow for our Jenny. But Lee, what is this one for?" She brushed her fingertip along the edge of a filigree antique heart.

"Well, that one is for Dotty. She's the mother I didn't have the chance to know. She's a big part of our lives and if not for you I wouldn't have her either." He leaned his forehead against hers, hoping she would understand his sentiment.

She swallowed hard around the tightness in her throat. "You are the most perfect, handsome, romantic man I have ever known. I love you with all my heart and soul. This is the perfect gift. Thank you." Amanda fumbled with the clasp trying to get it in place on her slim wrist. "Please help me." His strong, nimble fingers quickly arranged the chain on her arm and fastened it securely. She shook her arm and smiled when she heard the jingle of the chain and charms.

Turning on his lap until she was facing him, she pressed a soft kiss on his lips. "I love you." She pressed her lips to his again. He pulled her closer to his chest and opened his mouth for her advance. He felt her tongue slide along his and willingly slanted his head to allow her better access. Their mouths grew hard and demanding as the passion they shared flared into brilliant life.

He felt her fingers delve into his hair and pull slightly. In response, he bit down gently on her full bottom lip. Panting, they pulled apart and eyed each other. Unspoken agreement was reached. He stood with her in his arms. He cupped her buttocks in his hands and squeezed. She wrapped her long legs around his waist and felt his hardening desire against the juncture of her thighs. She moaned at the sensation and latched her hot mouth onto his neck. She sucked hard, knowing he would have marks in the morning, but she didn't care. He pulled in huge gulps of air and carried her up the stairs to their bed.

Standing in the room they had shared for years, they undressed each other hurriedly. Shirts, jeans, underwear and socks fell in abandon. When he would have removed the new bracelet, she stilled his hands. "Leave it."

He nodded and led her to the soft expanse of mattress. He sat on the edge and looked at the vision before him. Peaches and cream skin, soft brown hair falling in waves over her smooth shoulders. Long, slim arms graced only by the charm bracelet. Tiny waist leading to slightly curved hips. Legs that wouldn't stop. All his for the taking. She was beautiful and he cherished her.

Amanda watched his eyes dilate with longing as he looked at her and wondered how she was so lucky to win his love and desire. This tall, handsome man before her, who could swing her up into his powerful arms so easily, loved her! She knew how it felt to be wrapped in the grip of that long, lean body. She knew what it felt like to be invaded by his hardness. To be possessed and pleasured by his soft, warm mouth. She longed for that possession now, so she initiated the mating dance they knew so well. Stepping into the vee of his long, powerful legs, she ran her hands long the width of his shoulders. Cupping his head in her hands, she guided him to her breast. Closing her eyes, she exhaled and waited for the delights she knew was to come.

His mouth closed over the already hardened tip of her nipple. His heat and moistness enveloped her sensitive flesh. He scraped lightly with his teeth, then suckled firmly. He reached out and grasped her hips in his hands and slid his hands around to caress the twin mounds of her buttocks. He clutched her and felt her knees weaken. Expecting her to fall against him, he laid back on the bed to allow her to lie atop him. What he felt was her mouth hover over his engorged penis as she kneeled on the floor beside the bed. He had barely had time to brace himself for the nearly unbearable pleasure she was about to give him, when she flicked her tongue over his tip. "Oh God."

She smiled at his groan. This was the most powerful thing she had ever felt. To know she had such control over his pleasure was intoxicating. She dipped her head lower and traced the length of him with the tip of her tongue. When she reached to end of her journey, she opened her mouth and slowly engulfed him in her hot recesses She applied gentle suction and moved slowly upward. She had repeated this twice more when he sat up and lifted her bodily by the arms.

He twisted their bodies until they lay side by side on the cool, cotton comforter. He resumed control and pinned her to the bed in one fluid motion. He devoured her mouth and plundered her soft flesh with firm hands. His fingers rolled her nipple and tugged it gently into full alertness. His mouth replaced his hand at her breast and his hand moved further down her body. He sucked at her delicate offering and explored her hot, wet entrance at the same time. His nimble fingers separated her folds and found the nub that begged for his attention. He pressed firmly and felt her quiver with anticipation. One, then two long digits entered her gently, probing for the inner trigger that controlled her pleasure. He stroked firmly and knew that she was close to breaking. Her moisture was hot, ready. He longed to fill her, but even more he longed to taste her.

Swiftly, he left her nipple unattended and moved to lie between her legs. He bent his head to swirl his tongue through the fuzz covering her sex. He found the nub his fingers had already attended to and bathed it with his mouth. She bucked wildly against him. He placed one wide palm against her abdomen and held her in place. He raised her legs to drape over his shoulders and bent once more to his task. His tongue ran up and down the cleft of her sex. He lapped at the dew gathered there. He plunged his tongue inside her and felt her fall apart. She cried aloud with her climax. "Lee, please Lee, I need you inside of me." She pulled her legs from his shoulders and braced them on the bed.

"Oh Amanda, I love you. I love making love to you." He moved from his lying position and knelt over her supine body. "Watch us, Amanda. Look at how well we fit together." He locked his eyes with hers briefly before looking down to where he prepared to join them together in the most beautiful act of love he had ever experienced. He nudged into her hot depths and looked up to see if she was watching.

She lay against the pillow with her arms over her head. The silver and gold bracelet that symbolized the best parts of their lives sparkled in the dim glow of moonlight through the windows. She looked to the joining of their bodies and then to Lee. She held his gaze as she lifted her hips to take him completely inside her. He hissed at the sudden sensation and could control himself no longer. He plunged his body into hers over and over. She met him stroke for stroke. They struggled for the ultimate pleasure just over the horizon. As one, they reached the summit and plummeted over the edge.

As they fell back to reality they cradled each other close. They kissed softly, endlessly. Finally slumber overtook her and he gazed down at her in his arms. Gently, as she slept beside him he covered their bodies with the rumpled covers. When she shifted to place her arm over his chest he felt the cool metal of the bracelet he had placed on her arm earlier that night. He thanked her silently for everything she had given him. He jumped at the unexpected sound of her voice.

"Thank you for the wonderful night and my bracelet."

She slept once again and he cradled her against his heart and slept as well, content in the charmed life he was living with his Amanda.

The End