- Text Size +
Story Notes:

A great big THANKS to Cheryl who did a wonderful job as beta. Her suggestions made the story flow.

Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Lee anxiously looked around his apartment checking to make sure everything was set. He had special plans for his fiancée this evening and he wanted everything to be perfect.

He was never able to put his feelings into words. Tonight he planned on showing Amanda just how much he loved her. He worked on the details for weeks. This was their very first Valentine's Day as a couple and he wanted it to be memorable.

Romance was the agenda, plain old-fashioned romance. He never had trouble getting a woman into bed. Knew all the right things to say, all the right moves to make. He never romanced a single one. That was the past. Now, he was in love and everything was different, important. This day had to be just right.

He started off by arranging for flowers, not just any flowers, Roses—to be delivered to Amanda every hour. In every color they came in. The only stipulation he made was the first dozen had to be Sterling and the last dozen had to be red. The florist thought he was nuts and it cost him a month’s pay but it was worth every cent. The wonder in her voice when she called to thank him for them was priceless. The tears he heard after the fifth arrangement arrived touched him deeply. By the time the twelfth and final dozen made it to her house, she had been speechless. That was all the thanks he needed. This was his way of making up for all the times he couldn’t bring himself to give her roses. Further proof that his past was well behind him.

The table in the dining room was picture perfect. All that was left to do was light the candles and he would do that once she arrived. A smile crossed his lips as he remembered the conversation he had with his neighbor—a sweet old woman named Mrs. Henrietta Holgate.

He had a soft spot for the septuagenarian. She treated him like one of her grandchildren. Always worried if he was eating right and getting enough rest. Because tonight was so special, he knocked on her door and asked if he could borrow some of her formal china. She pinched his cheek and gladly handed over her best Lenox and sent him on his merry way.

He wanted to make Amanda's favorite meal but pot roast and succotash just wasn’t romantic in his book. Instead he prepared his famous Chicken Cordonbleu with scalloped potatoes and steamed asparagus.

A wonderful Beringer Private Reserve Chardonnay sat chilling in the ice bucket and he had a bottle of Dom Perignon chilling in the fridge to serve with the dessert he bought. He couldn’t resist buying it when he saw it in the bakery window. Amanda would love it. Two of her favorite flavors combined. A raspberry mousse served in a dark chocolate, heart-shaped shell. And he couldn’t wait to share it with her.

Setting the oven to warm, he dashed into his bedroom for one final check. Everything was in perfect order for the coming evening. He grinned, ran the comb through his hair again and straightened his tie once more before slipping into his jacket. Her knock sounded just as he was tugging his sleeves in place.

Quickly he lit the candles on the table, placed a single, perfect, long-stemmed rose across her plate and a small box, wrapped in elegant foil, topped with a red bow, off to the side of his plate.

Letting out a nervous sigh, he checked his tie once more and opened the door. She looked exquisite in the sexy red velvet dress and his eyes roamed greedily over her from head to toe. His breath caught when he realized her dress was the exact replica of that little black number she wore New Year's Eve. The fact that she took the time to make this dress for him made his heart soar.

“Well, aren’t you going to invite me in?”

“What? Oh, yeah, sorry.” He mumbled as he stepped aside so she could enter. “You look…  incredible.” He beamed at her blush. He loved that she did that. It had been a long time since he met a woman who blushed at compliments. It was a refreshing change and just one in a long list of things that were unique to his Amanda.

“Thanks. So do you. Nice tie.” She fingered his red bow tie. Her diamond engagement ring sparkled as she caressed his chest and ran her fingers along his matching cummerbund. “You didn’t tell me it was a formal affair.”

“This is so much more than an affair.” He murmured right before he kissed her deeply. A moan escaped her and brought him back to reality. He reluctantly broke the kiss. “Dinner is ready. Why don’t you have a seat while I serve.”

Drawing in a ragged breath she agreed. “Sure.”

Placing his hand at the small of her back he led her over to the table and uncorked the wine.  Lifting the rose from her dish, he brushed it across her cheek before presenting it to her. Her eyes drifted shut briefly. She parted her lips on a sigh, snaking out her tongue to moisten them. When she opened her eyes again her desire for him was clearly evident. It took all his self-control not to give in to her and his own desires just yet. Taking a deep breath, he went into the kitchen for their meal. Turning on the stereo as he went by. The romantic sounds of a Johnny Mathis classic filled the air.

Her dulcet voice carried to him,  “Thank you again for the flowers. They were lovely if not a little excessive. Mother will be bragging to the neighbors for weeks to come and she’ll be even more dogged in her quest to get you to propose. Her hints won’t be so subtle.”

He nudged the door open with a hip. “Your mother, subtle? I hate to see her being overt.”  He placed another kiss on her cheek as he slid the dinner plate in front of her. After setting his own dish down, he poured the wine and took his seat.

Picking up his glass he briefly touched it to hers, the crystal making a tinkling sound. “Happy Valentine’s Day. I Love you.”

“I love you, too. Happy Valentine’s Day.”

She kept him entertained with tales of the boy’s escapades while they ate. He smiled when she told him that Joe was picking the boys up after the school dance and keeping them for the weekend. Maybe he could turn a romantic evening into a romantic weekend.

Every so often her eyes would fall on the gift next to him. He could actually see her curiosity and anticipation etched across her face. She was just dying to know what was in the package. Should he give it to her now or wait? Giving it careful consideration, he decided to wait until after dessert. Let the anticipation build a little more.

He stood and began to clear the table.

“Here, let me help you with that.” She began to gather up the dishes.

“No thanks. I’ve got it. Why don’t you go put some more music on and make yourself comfortable? This’ll only take a minute.” He gave her a gentle kiss and went into the kitchen.

Carefully he washed and dried the dishes. Stacking them on the counter to be returned to his neighbor in the morning. He thought about doing them later but wanted to be done with all the domestic chores so he could devote the rest of the evening to Amanda. Lee placed the sweet treat on the middle of the coffee table then went back to the dining room for the champagne. He heard a moan of pleasure escape her lips letting him know he made the right choice of desserts.  He slipped his gift into his jacket pocket then picked up the champagne bucket.

He made a show of expertly popping the cork on the champagne and pouring the bubbly liquid into two flutes. Handing her a glass he settled next to Amanda on the couch.  “To us.”

“To us.” She took a sip of the cool liquid. “Dinner was wonderful. Thank you.”

 “My pleasure. Besides, it’s the company that makes it wonderful.” He watched her color rise.

“Now, for dessert.” He set his glass on the table then placed hers next to his. “I have to admit I didn’t make this.” He slid the fork through the fluffy mousse making sure to break off a piece of the chocolate shell. “Here, tell me what you think.” He slid the fork gently between her lips.

“Oooh…that’s heavenly. You should try some.”

 “I think I will.” He leaned closer and kissed her deeply. Stroking every corner of her mouth with his tongue. She was right. It was heavenly. The sweet-tart taste of raspberries, combined with the smooth creamy texture of chocolate, with just a hint of the crisp wine, enhanced by the incredible flavor of Amanda was out of this world. They broke apart when the need for air overcame them both. “You’re right. Definitely heavenly. More?”

“Absolutely.” He watched as she reached for the dish, took a forkful of the confection and brought it to his lips.  She gently traced his lips with the fork letting a dab of the mousse settle there then fed him. Before he had a chance to swallow, she licked the filling off his lips. He captured her mouth with his and quickly she asked for entrance. Once he opened for her, she wasted no time in tasting all of him.

They were both quickly caught up in the game and continued to feed each other and feed off of each other until the dessert was finished. Somehow his jacket had come off and his tie undone, just when that happened he couldn’t remember. As he pressed her back into the couch his jacket fell to the floor. The soft thud brought to mind the package hidden in the pocket. It reminded him there were a few things he still wanted to do before making love. Reluctantly, he pulled away and reached for his jacket placing it on the back of the couch. Palming her gift as he did so.

Drawing in a ragged breath he took a sip of champagne to moisten his suddenly dry throat. “Here. This is for you.”

 She took the gift from him and gently fingered the bow. “Thank you, sweetheart. But you didn’t have to get me anything. The flowers and dinner were more than enough.”

“I know I didn’t have to but I wanted to. I want to give you everything your heart desires and more.” He gave her a quick kiss. “Go on open it. I know you’re dying to.”

“All right.”

He watched her face as she slid the ribbon off. A small gasp escaped her lips. She was teary eyed when she looked back at him. “ Oh, you wrapped it yourself.”

“Yeah. It only took four attempts and half a roll of scotch tape before I discovered a well-placed bow hides a multitude of sins. I hope you’ll like it.”

“I’m sure I’m going to love it.”  She gently opened the paper, smoothing out the wrinkles. He knew she would save it. She always saved the paper from any gift he gave her, the ribbon too.

He didn’t get her a card. He’d looked in every card store in Georgetown and D.C. and he couldn’t find one that expressed his feelings so he just wrote a note and enclosed it with his treasure. It was short, sweet and to the point. “To my darling Amanda, this is just a token to remind you that I’ll love you forever. Love always, Lee.” There was so much more he wanted to say to her but he couldn’t find the right words.

Her startled cry brought him out of his musings. “Oh my gosh! Lee, it’s gorgeous.” She caressed each link of the gold bracelet.

“Each ‘X’ is a kiss and the ‘Os’ are hugs. This way I can give you a hug and kiss anytime.” He winked. “The clasp is hidden inside the links so that when the bracelet is fastened it’s a continuous connection. Love without end. Just like us.”

Now the tears were running unchecked down her face and he brushed them away before placing a kiss on each cheek.

“Help me put it on.”

He took the box from her and carefully draped the bracelet over her wrist. Fastening the clasp he kissed her wrist directly over her rapid pulse. “It’s beautiful. I’ll never take it off. I love it and I love you.”  She kissed him, then rose walking towards his front door.

“Hey, where are you going?’”

“I have a gift for you. I put it in my bag and I want to get it now.”

“Oh.” Bag, did she bring a bag? He didn’t remember seeing her with a bag when she came in. Then again, he couldn’t keep his eyes off her curves and it was possible she had a bag with her and he just didn’t notice. He watched her carefully as she made her way back to him. He loved to watch her move.

 “Happy Valentine’s Day, Lee.” She held out a small shirt box wrapped in silly heart paper.

“Thank you, but you’re my present. I didn’t need this.” He pulled her down into his lap and began to nuzzle her neck. He stopped when he felt her swat his chest.

She slid off his lap and sat next to him. “Aren’t you going to open it?”

Turning to face her, he took the offering. Opening the envelope he was touched by the beautiful card. It had a picture of a perfect red rose resting on a bed of antique lace. Reverently he opened it. He was moved by the simple sentiment. “Although I don’t always tell you in so many words…I love you in so many ways. Happy Valentine’s Day. Love always, Amanda”

He picked up the box and ripped the paper off. Tossing it over his shoulder. He lifted the cover and was puzzled by what he saw. There were three items inside the box. He lifted out the first one. A dark green silk rose.

“Amanda?”

“They’re silk boxers. I couldn’t resist. The color. It’s the exact same color as your eyes when you… when we… you know.”

“You mean when you make me co…” Her fingers settled over his lips halting his speech. He kissed them and watched as the blush crept up her neck to her cheeks.

“Lee! Yes. Now look at the rest.”

 He chuckled. “Okay. What do we have here?” He pulled out a white silk scarf with tiny red hearts embroidered on it. “Are you trying to tell me something? Would you like me to tie you up or would you like to tie me up?”

 “No… No… It’s nothing like that.” Her face flamed again. “It was a joke. You’re famous for giving scarves as a gift and I thought you’d like to get one. That’s all.”

“Still, it might be fun.” He leered and wiggled his eyebrows at her.

He chuckled when she just shook her head. He made a mental note to broach this subject again. Amanda didn’t reject the idea, totally. “I believe I have one more gift in here. Let’s see what it is.” He pulled out the final gift. It was a red velvet, draw-stringed pouch. It was heavy and he couldn’t think what it could be. Looking at the bag closely he realized it was the same material as her dress. She made it for him. Gingerly he widened the opening in the bag and spilled the contents into his hand.

“A key? And just what is it for?”

“It’s the key to my heart.”

“Oh Amanda, come here.” He pulled her into his arms and held her tightly against him. He whispered in her ear. “It’s the best present anyone has ever given me and I promise to take good care of it. I love you more than you’ll ever know.” She kissed him then, softly, just a brief meeting of lips.

He rose and held out his hand. “Dance with me.”

She took his hand as he helped her off the couch. He drew her into his embrace, wrapping both arms securely around her waist. She wound her arms around him and began to stroke the nape of his neck, sifting her fingers through his hair.

They swayed to the music for a time. She rested her head on his chest and he kissed her hair. His fingers drew small circles on her back. He loved the way her velvet dress felt under his hands. It was almost as smooth as her skin. And the way her fingers felt on his scalp sent chills down his spine.

“Lee, the music’s stopped.”

“No, I can still hear it. Listen.” He twirled her around once and brought her back to his embrace. “I always hear music when I hold you.” They stayed locked tightly together for a while longer. Enjoying the freedom of being alone together.

“I have one more surprise for you.” He placed a kiss near the corner of her mouth. “Close your eyes.”

When she did, he kissed each one and led her into the bedroom silently closing the door behind him.

“Okay, you can open your eyes now.”

“Oh, Lee.” She sighed and they came together to celebrate their love as only two people who loved each other as deeply as they did, could.

The End