- Text Size +
Moving up the steps toward the Q-Bureau Lee Stetson rubbed his face roughly, trying to wipe away the anger he knew shown through. It can't get any worse, it really can't, he thought inwardly, swiping at the strains of hair that fell across his forehead. After the dressing down I just took there's gotta be a silver lining to this day at some point. And there will be, if I can just make it through until this evening.

His morning had started out great, he had awaken and been energetic about the thought of him and Amanda having dinner tonight. She had asked him yesterday, had all but insisted that he come to her place for a little private time together and dinner to boot. Of course he wasn't going to turn her down! He looked forward to whatever time they could slip in together, be it for dinner, a quick movie, or just sitting in the park talking over a mid day sandwich.

After being married for nearly a year he had hoped that the time they spent in each other's company would have increased, but truth be known, he had actually seen her more when they were dating than now. Oh he still dropped in on her from time to time in the evenings, but now he was always invited inside to be with the family. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy that time, he loved spending the evening with the boys and Dotty he just missed their little clandestine meetings in the backyard and peering through her windows to draw her attention.

Gone were the days where he could steal her away for a quick late evening drive through the countryside. Those had been thrown to the wayside when he had been introduced to the family as an active suitor. It seemed of late that the only time he could be with Amanda, aside from work, was when they were with the family.

What time that should have been set aside for their privacy for being man and wife, ended with a quick kiss at the door and a whispered 'I love you,' before he departed back to his apartment, alone and depressed.

The solitary nights were starting to play on his nerves more than he let on. This wasn't the way a marriage should be handled, regardless of what risks might be involved. He wanted to be with his wife, he needed to see her more than just nine to five and in the company of others. He needed the intimacy.

So when they were able to steal away a few precious moments to themselves, he looked forward to each and every one, locking them away in his mind, protecting them. Those had been the only way he had made it through so many nights of lying in bed and staring up at the dark ceiling, wishing beyond all hope that she could share his bed.

Today was one such moment, he anticipated their dinner with all his being, wanting it to be special, to be just them, cuddling, kissing, partaking in each other's company. He had visions of how he wanted it to go, and hoped beyond hope that Amanda had the same thoughts. After nearly two weeks of being without her, he was determined to steal her away and not let her go until the wee hours of the morning.

Then he had run into Smyth.

No matter how hard he tried, Dr. Smyth always seemed to find a way to get under his skin! He had attempted being diplomatic, letting Smyth's words roll off without reacting, but that only lasted for about ten minutes. By the time their short, impromptu meeting had been concluded he was ready to punch a wall.

He does it on purpose you know that! He chided himself quickly. Don't let this blow your day! I refuse to allow his words to affect my disposition this morning. I'm going to stay upbeat if it kills me! He growled inwardly, moving down the small hallway toward the door to their office. I'm a better person than he is I can handle this.

Taking a deep breath, he stopped, trying to compose himself one last time before opening the door to the Q-Bureau quickly.

The smile that came to his lips was natural and not at all forced as he laid eyes on the slim form standing at his desk, looking over a file. With her hair pulled back behind her ears, decked out in dark slacks and a light brown sweater, he couldn't help but smile as Amanda turned toward the sound. She was radiant!

"Hi sweetheart," she called, giving him one of her sweet, innocent smiles that melted his heart.

"Hi, sorry I took so long Dr. Smyth nabbed me and had a few things to sort out," he returned, trying to explain why a quick jaunt down to the bullpen had turned into a forty five minute time lapse.

"Ouch, was he his normal chipper self?" she inquired with a look as he shut the door and crossed the room toward her.

"Oh yeah, in fact he was on a roll today," he admitted with a sigh. "But I'm not going to let that affect me, I've already decided," he added lightly, wrapping his arms around her waist and leaning in for a quick kiss. "I'm going to stay in a good mood no matter what."

"Good for you," she whispered, accepting his kiss willingly. As he tried to slide in for a deeper more lingering connection, she gently pushed him away, holding up the file. "This is for you. Billy sent it up while you were occupied."

"What is it?" he asked dejected, but released her to take the file. Opening it quickly, he scanned the contents and immediately frowned. "We've already finished this…" he began to protest.

"Yes, but…" she reached out and plucked a small note off the top of the desk, sliding it over the main page. "He wants a complete and in-depth report filed on the background check we did. He said recorders sent it back flagged as incomplete."

"Ah, it's just bureaucratic nonsense!" he growled shaking his head. "It's just more red tape, we can't do our jobs for all the reports and follow-ups we have to file."

"Nevertheless," she commented, tipping his chin upward. "Billy needs it done and back on his desk by three. Since the majority of the information we obtained was from your sources, there wasn't much I could do to help you out." She patted the file affectionately. "It's all yours Scarecrow," she teased.

"That's not fair, Manda, you know how much I hate doing this stuff," he complained, shaking his head. "It's going to take me all day…and that typewriter hates me!" he added, trying to sway her to his side. It was becoming all too apparent from her body language and words that she had no intentions of helping him with this report.

Her quicksilver laughter flooded the room at his words. "The typewriter doesn't hate you, it's an inanimate object Lee. Just take your time and you'll be fine," she assured him.

"And what exactly are you going to be doing while I slave away the afternoon fighting with that thing?" he questioned suspiciously, motioning toward the dormant machine in the corner. "How about you typing it up for me? We can make it a team effort," he suggested hopefully.

"I'd love to, but I've got a few errands to run. I talked to Billy earlier and since there really wasn't anything going on I took the rest of the afternoon off," she retorted giving him a smile.

"Without me?"

"You've got something to do," she reminded him, tapping the folder.

"Oh that's low," he muttered disgustedly.

She laughed again, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I promise to be back to pick you up by three. I'm taking the car, you won't be needing it for a while."

He sighed shaking his head. "Stuck with this crap and stranded to boot. I knew when Smyth cornered me this day was going to be horrible, I just didn't know how much so," he grumbled.

"Well, if we can find Mother a car, she wouldn't have to keep using mine all the time," she reminded him lightly.

He cringed slightly remembering that he had promised to find something affordable and reliable for Dotty a couple of week's back. Unfortunately he hadn't really had the time to look around and he didn't mind in the least swinging by her place and picking Amanda up every morning for work.

"Yeah I know, I'm working on it," he muttered. "I just didn't expect her to finally catch on. I mean, lord, it took her what? Six instructors before she finally passed?" he questioned with a look.

"Seven," she reminded him.

"Oh yeah, I remember now. And I think that last one only worked because he had nerves of steel and had put in two tours of duty in Vietnam. Nothing phased that man."

"Lee!" she laughed, swatting him lightly on the arm. "That's not nice."

"But it's true Amanda. She put those first two in the sanatorium with nerves breakdowns," he returned laughing as he sidestepped another swat. "I'd rather go head to head with a dozen Russian agents than attempt to teach her to drive. She scares me."

"She's improved over the last few months, you know that," she protested grinning.

"True, but I'm still thinking along the lines of a hummer or converted tank. That might be the safest route to go since she's driving the kids around. There's a market, I just need to get my foot in the door," he teased, smiling.

"You're horrible."

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Maybe, but you're the one that called me two months ago almost frantic when she backed the car up into the side of the garage. Five hundred bucks in damage…" He snapped his fingers. "…Just like that."

She started laughing, grabbing his hand. "Stop already. Yes, I agree, she still needs a little work…by the way, thank you again for bailing me out on that," she whispered, smiling.

"What's a husband for? It was my pleasure. I don't mind paying the bills, I'm just glad she wasn't hurt. Took the side of your car out though," he said smiling, remembering how the metal had been crunched and peeled back on the left side. "She might not be able to back worth spit, but I love her just the same."

"Hmmm…you're wonderful," she whispered, stepping against his body and delivering a hard, passionate kiss.

Lee closed his eyes, wrapping an arm tightly around her midsection, relishing in the feel of her lips caressing his and let himself go with the sensations. When she pulled back, he smiled lightly. "Yeah I am," he teased happily.

"Enjoy your reports," she breathed, tracing his lips with her fingernail. "I'll see you around three."

"Okay," he sighed, kissing the tip of her finger before releasing her. "Go do what you've got to do, I'll be here when you get back."

As she stepped toward the door, he had a quick thought and dropped the file on the table, turning toward her. "Wait a minute," he called, reaching into his pocket quickly. "I'm not sure how much gas the vette has, here you'd better take this just in case." Producing his credit card he flipped it toward her. Amanda caught it in the air, as he smiled. "You've been practicing with Phillip and Jamie again," he teased proudly. "Good catch."

"Three o'clock," she reminded him with a smile. "We've got a dinner date tonight Mister, I don't want you to be late."

"Never, I've been looking forward to it since you suggested it last night," he responded. "I'll be done."

"Have fun." With that she blew him a quick kiss, then snagged her purse off her desk and was gone.

He smiled, turning back to his desk, then sighed, remembering why he was here to begin with. "Stupid report," he grumbled, picking it up again. "I could be out enjoying a quiet afternoon with my wife, but no…"

He stepped slowly around the desk regarding the electric typewriter a moment. "This is going to be a long day," he groaned, shaking his head. Resigned to his fate, he sagged down in the chair and flipped open the file.

TBC