- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimers: Scarecrow and Mrs. King is copyrighted to Warner
Brothers and Shoot the Moon Production Company. I have borrowed the
characters without the permission of WB & Shoot the Moon. This story
is for entertainment purposes ONLY, and I do not wish to use this
story to profit off of the borrowed characters. This story,
however, is copyrighted to the mentioned author. If you would like
to add it to an archive, please just let me know.

Time Frame: Early 4th season

I've made up my mind!

I'm going to figure out what is happening with my daughter, Amanda.

Earlier this afternoon, I asked her about her plans for the
evening. In the blink of an eye her cheeks flushed pink.

"Nothing special, I think I'll just watch some TV."

Her breath caught before she answered. I know something is up.

Nothing special? There's a cat hiding in the bag and I'm going to
find out what it is.

Waiting for the movie to begin I saw her eyes fixed on the
telephone, as if she's willing it to ring.

"Darling, are you expecting a phone call?" I ask her innocently,
just to see her response.

This is great! Her face is like an open book: wide eyes, open
mouth, a sharp breath, and then – that... "Oh, mother!"

As if on cue the phone rang and Amanda jumped to answer it. I'm on
it too. I'm acting like I'm paying attention to the TV, but
watching her instead.

"Hello!"

Oh her face! Her Grand Canyon wide smile, sweet voice, and sparkling
eyes... sure... it must be Mr. Stetson her `boss'.

"Good evening to you, Lee... Mr. Stetson. . .tonight? Not really,
nothing important. Party? Warner Brothers? Okay, I can, I think
forty minutes will be great. See you then!"

She shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

"Mother, that was Mr. Stetson, he needs me at a party. I know that
it's a last minute call, but he really needs me!"

She avoided any questions by running upstairs.

Last minute call! Yeah and pigs fly! Like I didn't get a glimpse of
her new deep blue dress hanging on the inside of her closet door and
the matching shoes. And I didn't notice that long scented bubble
bath she took earlier. Last minute call! I'm not ten years old
Amanda!

More than half an hour later, I heard the unmistakable roar of a car
engine, sneaking near the window I saw Mr. Stetson's silver `Vette
approaching our driveway, it stopped and he stepped out. I confess
my daughter knows how to pick them. He is gorgeous in his black tux.

I don't want to get caught so I leave the window and when the
doorbell rings and I go to open it.

"Good evening Mrs. West. Is Amanda ready? Sorry for this late call
but I really want her at this party.

He `wants' her, of course he does!

"Don't mention it Mr. Stetson, I think she's almost ready."

I spotted my daughter out of the corner of my eye, and I confess
Amanda is beautiful tonight.

"Yes, there she is!"

Her glittering dress fits her like a second skin, matching high-
heeled shoes. As she poses at the top of the stairs, the slit in
her dress reveals her long legs. The expression on her face is
worth all my inquiries. Her eyes are sparkling like deep blue
pools, her smile bright and her cheeks had a lovely pink shade, and
she was absolutely beautiful.

My gaze turned toward Mr. Stetson. The man is practically
mesmerized by her. His deep green eyes are all over her, and the
look in those eyes is just and only love. His face wears a dimpled
smile.

"Good evening Amanda, you look spectacular tonight," He said in a
husky voice.

"Thank you, you look... great too."

She joins him at the bottom of the stairs, their gazes lock, and he
places a kiss on her hand and I'm one hundred percent positive that
he wants to kiss her lips, too. A sharp glance from my daughter in
my direction and he places his lips on her right cheek. In a blink
of an eye, they both go into `boss-employee mode'.

Yeah! Who do those two think they are kidding! Not me for sure!

There is something big between these two and I'm going to put my
finger on it. This man is a keeper! I'm not a mother for nothing.

A quick good-bye and they are gone. I move and watch them from the
same window. Aha! Gotcha!

Mr. Stetson's right arm is around my daughter's waist and her head
is just a whisper away from leaning on his shoulder, then as they
near the car, they exchange a quick butterfly kiss.

This looks like love to me. A moment later the silver sports car
purred into life, turned around and headed towards the city.

Suddenly I remember a certain conversation at the beauty salon two
or three months ago.

Some of my neighbors had told me they had seen a very shiny sports
car, a silver one, parked often in the neighborhood. Not in the
same place, always different, but in a three to four block radius.

Can that be Mr. Stetson's car? I don't know, but no more than a
second later, I remember also my daughter's new habit – drinking her
evening tea, coffee or hot chocolate in the backyard gazebo.

She tells me, "Oh... I'm only thinking."

My Amanda is in love, and from what I saw she's happy!

My mission is accomplished and I go back to my Cary Grant movie!

The End.