- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

This story is in answer to Lynda’s challenge where they have a child and the name cannot be one used on the show.

Thanks: Ashley, Bonita, Lynda and all the gutter girls.
September 5, l988

The lone figure stood on the threshold of the half open doorway to the room, gazing tenderly at the surroundings before him. He pushed the door open fully and entered. Morning sunlight filtered through the lace curtains, casting its soft glow on the furnishings. The room was painted a pale yellow and the carpet was a light brown. On his left was a closet that, for the moment, was practically empty, but soon he knew it would be filled with clothes. As he walked around the room, he gently touched some of the fixtures, letting his hand glide over their surfaces.

It was a miracle they had finished in time; the renovations had taken longer then either of them had anticipated. When they had finally found the house of their dreams the previous spring, it needed a lot of remodeling. They finally moved into their new home in early June, which had not left them much leeway for all the preparations that needed to be completed. But they had persevered; now the room only lacked its newest occupant. He checked the time on his watch; it was only 7:00 a.m. Sleep had eluded him the previous night, but he didn’t feel the least bit tired, or so he thought. Casting his eyes on the rocking chair in the corner of the room he walked over and sat down. The gentle movement soon lulled him into a light sleep and Lee Stetson remembered the events that led up to this day.

November, l987

It had been ten months since the secret wedding. They were becoming more and more irritable and tired as time wore on, not only with Amanda’s family, but also with their co-workers and even with each other. Little disagreements blew into full-scale fights. Ultimately, they reached the breaking point when Dr. Smyth ordered Lee to take an assignment, alone, in Europe for three weeks. Those three weeks apart had forced each of them to reevaluate their reasons for the mystery marriage in the first place. Upon Lee’s return, they sat down and discussed coming clean with everyone about everything.

Lee and Amanda decided to tell Dotty and the boys first, since they already knew about their dating. On a Saturday evening two weeks later, Amanda held a family meeting. Lee joined them and when he saw the glint in Dotty’s eyes, he knew she thought they were going to announce their engagement. Amanda started at the beginning, with a tale of 25 men in red hats. Lee allowed Amanda to tell the story, only interrupting when he thought she needed help.

Once the true nature of their jobs was revealed, Dotty, Phillip and Jamie asked hundreds of questions. The couple answered as many as they could without jeopardizing National Security. They were all a little miffed that they had not been told the truth from the beginning, but surprisingly, Dotty and the boys seemed to understand. In fact, when Lee told the boys they could take a course for Agency families designed for teenagers, they were thrilled.

The secret they both considered to be the one that would hurt their family the most had yet to be revealed. Lee took Amanda’s hand in his as they started to tell them the truth about their relationship. This was the one deception they were ashamed of the most and all they could ask for was everyone’s forgiveness. Of course, Dotty and the boys were upset with them for keeping the marriage in the dark. However, after hearing their reasons, plus the circumstances surrounding Lee’s childhood, Dotty said she understood. Phillip and Jamie seemed to be all right with the idea of Lee being their stepfather. During the summer, Lee had been spending a lot of time getting to know them. When Lee heard the three of them ask simultaneously when he was moving in, he knew he was accepted as part of the family. He told them he would as soon as possible.

Amanda then told them about their idea of renewing their marriage vows on their first anniversary. Dotty had been thrilled with the idea and was soon making preparations for a ceremony to take place at a quaint little wedding chapel in Arlington.

The following Monday found Lee and Amanda in the office of their section chief, Billy Melrose. Lee turned and closed the blinds on the window then proceeded to tell Billy everything. The older man just grinned and laughed and told them he had known for months about the marriage. He had been waiting for them to say something because he knew what it was like to be married and an agent. Lee expressed his reservations about letting the whole Agency in on their secret, but Billy calmly informed them the only problem would be if they became ineffective as partners. At the moment, there was no way their partnership would be broken up since they were the best team at the Agency. Billy agreed to keep everything confidential until they were ready to make an official announcement. He also told them he would be available when they told Dr. Smyth. It was mutually decided that all three would descend upon him on Friday morning.

Late Friday morning, after Lee, Amanda and Billy had left Dr. Smyth’s office they returned to the Q-Bureau. Lee had been amazed at how easy the meeting had gone. After listening to Smyth’s blustering about all the reasons why married agents should not be partnered, somehow they were able to convince him to let the partnership stand.

Next, the fun started. Amanda had arranged to meet Francine for lunch that afternoon. She was going to spring their marriage on Francine and wanted to do it away from the Agency, so they had made plans to meet at Emelio’s. Francine had no idea Lee was going to join them at lunch, but he told Amanda he didn’t want to miss the expression on Francine’s face, when she found out they were married. That lunch turned out to be a turning point in the relationship the three shared. Francine had been shocked at first, but she soon came around after hearing all of the circumstances of their relationship. They were as honest with her as they had been with everyone else.

One of the happiest days of Lee’s life came on the weekend before Thanksgiving. That was the day he officially moved into Amanda’s house and life as her husband. They had decided to put off house hunting until after the renewal of their vows and second honeymoon. Most of his things were put into storage; he had until the beginning of the New Year before the lease on his apartment was up. With the holidays just around the corner and the ceremony, there was just too much to be done.

The first night he spent under the roof at 4247 Maplewood Drive he knew he was home; he had a family. After making love that night, they snuggled in each other’s arms and for the first time since their mystery marriage, they fell asleep with the knowledge that neither of them had to wake up and sneak back home and then lie about where they had been. They were together and would never be apart again.

February l3, l988

Lee paced the small room in the chapel, running his hand through his hair. He thought the holidays had been hectic, but they had paled in comparison to the last four weeks. Dotty and Amanda had spent every waking minute planning the ceremony and reception. Finally, all the arrangements were finalized; the flowers, music, photographers, caterers, wedding cake, and decorations for the chapel were in place. He never knew it took so much to prepare for a small ceremony. Lee had tried to help out as much as he could, but found it was easiest to just tell them he liked whatever it was they were asking his opinion of.

The one thing he did do was plan the honeymoon arrangements. They had two weeks off from work, and he booked them on a morning flight to Hawaii. The tickets were packed away securely in his suitcase. Amanda had been thrilled with the idea of a ‘second honeymoon.’ This one would not end up like their first.

It was time. He stood next to the preacher who was to renew their vows. They had tried to get the original justice of the peace, but the judge had been unavailable for the date. Dotty, Captain Curt, Phillip and Jamie sat in the front pew. Colonel Robert Clayton, Lee’s uncle and Barney sat opposite them on the groom’s side. Everyone was there, Billy and Jeannie Melrose, Aunt Lillian, Francine, Leatherneck, Emily Farnsworth, Princess Penny, T. P. Aquinas, and countless other friends, relatives and co-workers. Even Joe and Carrie King were in attendance. Augie Swan was also included because he had volunteered his limousine services for the day.

The music started and the doors opened. Lee couldn’t take his eyes off his wife; she was a vision walking down the aisle in an off-white, lace dress that fell just below her knees. She carried a small bouquet of white roses. From the time he had given her a red rose in the Q-Bureau after the mess with Paul Barnes was cleared up, he found he once again appreciated roses and it was all because of Amanda and the love she had for him.

Lee smiled and looked deeply into Amanda’s eyes as they renewed their marriage vows in front of everyone. After the ceremony they retreated to the hall for a small reception. A buffet style meal had been planned.

Then it was time to cut the wedding cake, and this was something he knew Amanda had missed with their ‘elopement’. It was a 3-tier cake, with a little bride and groom on top. Someone had painted the black top hat red on the groom. Lee saw how perplexed Amanda was when she also saw the top hat. It was then that Dotty had come up to them and told them it was she that had painted it red, because if not for the men in the red hats, Lee wouldn’t be a part of their lives at this moment. And to those men she was eternally grateful, she told them as she kissed their cheeks.

Finally, it was time to say good night, Amanda kissed Dotty, Phillip and Jamie and told them she would call them when they arrived in Hawaii. Since their plane wasn’t leaving until the next morning, Lee arranged an evening Amanda wouldn’t forget. The surprise that Lee hadn’t told her was that they would be spending the night in the same room at the Crystal Springs Inn, where they had originally spent their first night together as man and wife. He made sure this time the maid was finished with the room before they checked in. They spent the night making passionate love.

The honeymoon had been relaxing, two weeks in the tropical paradise with nothing to do but make love and spend time lying on the beach. Upon returning they decided it was time to start house hunting. Amanda started out by contacting a real estate agent to show them some listings. Lee and Amanda had also talked to Dotty about continuing to live with them, and Lee had been overjoyed when she agreed.

March, l988

It was the beginning of March when Amanda told him her news. She had been ailing slightly and gone to the doctor. When she returned, she had a silly smile on her face. Taking her by the hand, he led her upstairs to their bedroom to talk in privacy. Then she told him what the doctor had told her. She was pregnant. All Lee could do at first was just stand there and let the words sink in. Finally, his conscious mind grasped what she had said. He was going to be a father. Amanda was going to have ‘his’ baby. A huge smile formed on his face; he was ecstatic. Ever since they made the decision to let nature take its course, they knew it was a possibility. If it was meant to be, it would happen. She told him the doctor had said she was due the first week of September, they had figured out she had conceived on New Year’s Eve. All the activity going on with Lee moving in, the holidays, then the renewal of their vows, she had lost track of time. Lee was concerned about her health, but she assured him the doctor said everything was normal. But the doctor wanted to keep a closer eye on her, because she was older and it had been a long time since she had given birth.

The very same evening at dinner, Lee and Amanda told Dotty and the boys of the impending birth. Dotty, of course, was overjoyed, and told them she hoped they had a little girl. She so wanted to buy those frilly, lacy dresses she saw in the baby department. Phillip and Jamie took the news in stride. They didn’t seem to be affected by the addition to the growing family, one way or another, except to say they would prefer a boy.

April, l988

Finding the perfect house was taking Lee and Amanda longer then either of them realized it would. They wanted, at least, four bedrooms and two bathrooms and changed real estate agents twice in their search for perfection. Amanda was four months pregnant; they had to find something soon. Lee didn’t want her burdened with packing and unpacking in the later stages of her pregnancy, but it was not looking like it would happen.

Finally, when they were about to give up hope, they found it, their house. It was an older home in Rockville, Maryland. A two story with four bedrooms, two full bathrooms, one half bath, a huge country kitchen, dining room, living room, separate laundry room, den with a fireplace, and attic. The reason Lee loved it was the land, five acres and a barn. One day he planned to have horses. It had been a dream of his since he was a child. What sold Amanda on the house was the huge wrap around porch and swing. It was idyllic. After showing the property to the rest of the family, they all agreed it was perfect. In fact, the boys came up with an idea. They wanted to know if their bedroom could be in the attic. Lee and Amanda discussed the merits of remodeling the house, since there were some other areas that needed to be redone; they decided to do all of it at once to save time and money. The decision was made to convert the attic into a huge bedroom for the boys. Renovations were also planned to make Dotty a bedroom off the kitchen, to give her some privacy. They also decided to convert two of the bedrooms upstairs into one large master bedroom.

One night, as they were going over renovation plans in the dining room, Amanda had gone to the kitchen to make tea. Lee ran when he heard her yell for him to come quick. When he reached her, she smiled and took his hand and placed it on her stomach. Amanda asked him if he felt it, but he looked questioningly at her and had told her he didn’t feel anything. No sooner had he spoken he felt his hand poked by her stomach. She laughed and told him that it was his son or daughter doing all the activity.

Also during this time, Amanda had another sonogram and an amniocentesis test done. The test came back negative for any abnormalities, and they breathed a sigh of relief. Amanda had teased Lee when they saw the baby on the monitor by saying the baby looked just like him. It was a side view of the infant, who was steadily sucking its thumb. They had decided against learning the sex of the baby. Both wanted to be surprised when their little bundle of joy arrived.


June, l988

Moving day was finally upon them. There were still a lot of preparations to complete, but most of the major renovations were finished. The remodeling job had ended up taking longer then either of them had anticipated.

Amanda had been assigned to desk duty when she informed the Agency of her pregnancy. It was Agency policy that once they were informed of an Agent’s pregnancy they would be immediately taken out of the field. Amanda was due to go on maternity leave the middle of August, the doctor had told her she wanted her to rest during the last month of her pregnancy, not complete bed rest, but no work related stress. So far, everything was progressing normally; the doctor wanted to err on the side of caution.

At the end of the month, Lee had requested to be taken out of the field. Billy had been more than happy to grant the request, because he knew what it was like to want to stay out of the line of fire. Being a father, he understood Lee’s reluctance to leave Amanda’s side. In fact, he had tried to persuade Lee to take a permanent desk job, but Lee had told him maybe someday . . . but right now temporary desk duty would suit his needs. Lee and Amanda had been able to solve two unsolved cases in the past month, just by going over all the old files.

They had started taking Lamaze classes at the hospital where Amanda would deliver. Lee, at first, was a little hesitant about being in the delivery room, but his fears where soon alleviated. He learned all the breathing and relaxation techniques, but the one thing that still put fear into him was cutting the umbilical cord. Amanda had laughed at him when he asked if that wasn’t part of the doctor’s job. He decided to deal with that particular situation when it occurred.

August, l988

The time had flown. Amanda was now on maternity leave from the Agency, and Lee was scheduled to take a month off, following the birth, to be with his family. The nursery was almost finished. Lee never realized so much was needed for an infant. A crib, changing table, car seat, walker, high chair, playpen . . . so many different things that Amanda had told him would be needed, even though some wouldn’t be used until the baby was older. It was best they purchased everything now, instead of waiting until the last minute. Lee installed baby monitors throughout the house. When Amanda had seen them in the store, she told Lee they would help her in keeping track of the baby. Lee, of course, couldn’t just buy one set of monitors; he bought several. He placed them in several different rooms so Amanda wouldn’t have to remember to carry one with her when she was taking care of the house or cooking while the baby was sleeping.

It seemed like every night was baby-naming night. Everyone wanted them to consider their choice. Phillip and Jamie wanted them to name a girl Madonna and a boy Indy, and that was when Lee and Amanda both told them they were not naming the baby after a singer or a character in a movie. Dotty gave them a list of family names, but they decided they wanted their child to have an original name, not one that someone else in the family already had. Finally, they had narrowed it down to two names each for a boy or girl. The boy’s were Christopher Michael and Brian Steven and the girl’s were Brianna Marie and Rachel Lynn. Amanda said she would make her final decision the day she held her baby in her arms for the first time and looked into her child’s eyes.

September 4, l988

On the first day of September, Amanda and Lee went to the doctor. It was not going to be much longer, the doctor informed them. Amanda had started to dilate, but the birth could still be several days away. For months now, Amanda had been having a hard time sleeping. Lee felt her toss and turn in the bed for hours trying to get comfortable.

That morning she was being particularly restless. He felt her leave the bed, and he checked the time. It was only 6:00 a.m. He heard Amanda leave their bedroom and go downstairs, and he decided to join her. Lee stood at the center island in the kitchen watching her make a cup of hot tea. He saw the pain cross her face and was beside her in an instant. Suddenly, he heard the sound of water splashing. They both looked down at the floor at Amanda’s feet. Her water had broken. “It’s time,” she said as she kissed him gently on the lips.

Lee quickly knocked on Dotty’s bedroom door and told her, then he helped Amanda back to their bedroom, where she changed. While she was changing, Lee called the doctor to let them know they were on their way. Phillip and Jamie had heard the commotion downstairs and came down from their attic bedroom. Lee told them he was taking their mother to the hospital, and both boys wanted to go with them. Dotty had joined the group in the master bedroom after cleaning the kitchen floor and said they would go to the hospital later. It would only take them ten minutes to get there; the location of the hospital had also been a major factor when they had made the decision to purchase their new home. The boys could join them later after getting dressed and having breakfast. Amanda kissed everyone goodbye as she left and Lee grabbed the suitcase from the closet. Several weeks ago, Amanda had packed outfits for both her and the baby.

The drive to the hospital seemed like an eternity to Lee, Amanda was having contractions every ten minutes. He tried to help her with her breathing the best that he could without causing them to get into an accident. Amanda’s doctor had taken care of pre-admitting her a few weeks before, so once they arrived, all they would have to do is check in. Lee pulled up to the emergency room entrance and helped Amanda into the emergency room.

After settling into her room, a nurse came in and handed Lee a set of scrubs telling him to change into them in the bathroom. He changed quickly, and when he returned a monitor had been placed on Amanda’s stomach to record the baby’s heartbeat. The time came when they wheeled Amanda into the delivery room for the birth. Lee was speechless as he watched them position a mirror so they could watch the birth of their child. When the doctor told Amanda to start pushing, Lee saw the head emerge. He was in awe of the miracle of childbirth and the amount of pain a woman endured during the process.

After what seemed like an eternity, however it was really only 4 hours, their child was born. Lee had surprised himself when he felt no qualms cutting the umbilical cord, and when he held his newborn child in his arms, it was love at first sight, for both.

September 5, l988

“Lee,” he heard his name being called and felt a hand on his shoulder shaking him. “Lee, wake up, it’s almost time to go to the hospital. He slowly opened his eyes and saw Dotty standing before him.

“What time is it?” He asked running his hand through his hair and checking his watch.

“It’s almost noon, you need to leave for the hospital soon.” Dotty replied to her son-in-law.

Lee stood up and kissed Dotty on the cheek, “I didn’t realize I was so tired. I didn’t mean to fall asleep.”

“The last twenty-four hours have been hectic, you’ve just become a father. Now it’s time to bring them home.”

They walked downstairs to the kitchen together. Jamie and Phillip were raiding the refrigerator looking for something to eat. “You guys just finished breakfast not long ago, there is no way you can be hungry,” Dotty said as she closed the frig door. “I’m making a special lunch for everyone to celebrate your mother’s return home. Go on outside and shoot some baskets or something, I don’t need you two running around this kitchen while I’m trying to cook,” Dotty said grinning.

Lee had grabbed a cup of coffee while watching the exchange between his stepsons and mother-in-law, and smiled at their playful banter. He never could figure out where the two boys put all of that food. The first time he had gone with Amanda grocery shopping it had amazed him the amount of food she had purchased. Amanda had tried to explain that this was shopping for a family of five not one lone person. When the checker had said what the total of their order was, he was dumbfounded and had to ask her to repeat herself.

The coffee cup now empty, Lee placed it in the sink and rinsed it out. “I’d better leave now to pick them up,” he said as he dried his hands on a dishtowel and checked his watch.

“Wait,” Jamie replied, “Phillip and I have something to give you. I just have to run upstairs to our bedroom and get it.”

“Okay, but hurry up. I don’t want to keep your mother and the baby waiting.”

Jamie and Phillip quickly ran upstairs and returned to the kitchen. Jamie handed Lee a sign that read ‘Baby on Board’, “it’s for the car, to put in the window.”

“Thanks, Sport. I’ll put it on before I pick them up.”

“We also made another sign for the baby, Lee. But this one will have to be kept in the nursery,” Phillip said.

“Why would it have to stay in the nursery, Chief?” Lee questioned.

“Well, it’s just like the other sign, except Jamie and I changed it. We changed one of the words on it,” Phillip replied.

Curiosity was getting the better of him, “Are you going to show me?” Lee asked.

Phillip handed Lee the sign, and both boys waited to see what his reaction would be. The sound of laughter filled their ears as both Dotty and Lee looked at it.

“This is perfect, guys. Why don’t you go upstairs and hang it on the crib,” he said as he handed Jamie the sign that said ‘Spy on Board.’

“I’m off to bring the rest of the family home,” Lee said as he picked up the car seat and ‘baby on board’ sign.

Arriving at the hospital, Lee found Amanda and his child waiting for him in her room. The doctor had just left having released both of them from the hospital. “Ready to go home?” Lee asked.

“We’re almost ready to go home, I just have to finish packing a few things, ” Amanda replied as she handed Lee the baby. Lee sat down in the chair next to the bed with his child in his arms, his heart full of joy. Each time he held this precious life, he was in awe that he and Amanda created this miracle. It had taken a while, but he was now getting used to holding a squirming infant. The first few times, he had been afraid he would drop the baby, but Amanda assured him that wouldn’t happen. Tenderly, he kissed each tiny finger and touched each little toe with reverence. A nurse came in at that moment pushing a wheelchair. Amanda sat down in the wheelchair and Lee handed the baby to her. The nurse wheeled them out to the Wagoneer, which was parked at the entrance to the hospital and Amanda laughed when she saw the back windshield. “When did you get the sign?” she questioned. Lee told her about the boys’ gift and that there was another at home waiting on her.

The drive home was quiet; the baby fell asleep as soon as the Wagoneer started moving. Once they arrived, Lee carried the car seat with the sleeping baby into the house. Cooking aromas permeated the air, “Mother something smells delicious,” Amanda said.

Dotty kissed her daughter’s cheek, “Dinner will be ready soon. Why don’t you get the little one settled into the crib then come downstairs and relax. I’ve got everything under control.”

Upstairs in the nursery, Amanda laid the baby in the crib. Lee pointed out the sign on the headboard, ‘Spy on Board’ and Amanda giggled. Lee put his arm around Amanda’s waist, hugging her to him and they silently watched their sleeping child. Lee still couldn’t believe he helped in the creation of this tiny being. This was the product of his and Amanda’s love; he smiled down at the crib. “Welcome home, baby girl. Welcome home, Brianna Marie Stetson. Daddy loves you.” Lee said to the sleeping infant.

Lee turned Amanda in his arms and kissed her gently on the lips, “I love you, Mrs. Stetson. You’ve given me the most precious gift a man could ever ask for . . . a daughter.”

Amanda put her arms around Lee’s neck and kissed him in return. “My pleasure. Imagine . . . the ‘infamous’ Scarecrow had a daughter. You know, I can’t wait until she becomes a teenager and goes out on her first date. I can picture you giving the boy the third degree.”

Lee looked into Amanda’s eyes, “you’d better believe it. Only the best for the daughter of the Scarecrow. Besides, I’d have to make sure she didn’t date anyone like me, or at least like the way I used to be before I met her mother, now don’t I.”

“I have a feeling the next eighteen years are going to be very interesting,” Amanda answered.

Lee heard the rumble of Amanda’s stomach, “why don’t we go downstairs and have some lunch,” he said as he released her.

“I’m starved, and if your daughter will be agreeable and continue sleeping maybe her mother can take a nap also.” Lee shut the door behind them, but not before turning on the baby monitor.

Brianna Marie Stetson, the daughter of the best team the Agency had to offer, slept contently in her crib. One day Brianna would grow up and learn how special and lucky she was to be the daughter of ‘Scarecrow and Mrs. King.’

The End