- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors. Special thanks to Jan and her son, Rafi, who gave me the idea for this story.
Wake Up!

She stood in the doorway, watching him sleep.

He’d arrived home after midnight from an assignment. She could tell by the way he’d shuffled around the room and barely brushed her lips with a kiss that he was beyond total exhaustion. When he told her he hadn’t slept in over forty-eight hours, he’d confirmed her suspicion.

He’d stumbled from the bedroom to the bathroom and back again, shedding clothes here and there, letting them fall wherever he happened to be. Finally, he managed to tumble into bed. As she pulled the covers over him, he mumbled that he needed to be back at work by nine for another debriefing, even though it was Saturday.

He also told her how to wake him.

But Amanda had other ideas.

She set the alarm and turned the volume all the way up. That should do it. She snuggled against him and fell into a blissful sleep. Whenever he wasn’t home, she didn’t sleep well. She tossed and turned, missing his warmth beside her. What she missed most was the comfort of feeling his body spoon next to her and his arm sliding over her waist, pulling her to him.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

The blaring of the alarm woke her. She turned to her husband and found him still fast asleep. The sound was deafening, and the clock was on his side of the bed. She reached over him and turned it off. Well, so much for the loud alarm clock.

Then she tried shaking him and calling his name.

“Lee, wake up!”

Nothing.

She leaned over and licked his earlobe, caressing it with her tongue. Usually, that got some kind of reaction. She did manage to elicit a slight moan from him.

Still he slept.

Okay, what next?

She pushed the covers off, went to the window, and pulled back the curtains. Sunlight streamed onto the bed and over her husband.

All he did was throw his arm over his eyes.

Maybe the smell of fresh-brewed coffee would entice him. With coffee cup in hand, she sat down on the edge of the bed and waved her hand over the top of the cup, hoping the aroma of caffeine would wake him.

In answer, he rolled onto his stomach.

Amanda still had a few tricks up her sleeve, before she had to resort to a drastic measure. She’d had several roommates who were heavy sleepers. Even her sons had been hard to wake at times. But she was about out of ideas.

She pulled the bedclothes off his body and knelt at the end of the bed. Her finger tickled the bottoms of his feet.

Lee laughed softly in his sleep and pulled his feet away from her.

‘Okay, let’s try this.’ Amanda went into the bathroom and filled an empty spray bottle with water. She’d spritz him; she really didn’t want to resort to throwing a bucket of water on him. Having to change a wet bed would just make more work for her.

She took the bottle into the bedroom and found him again lying on his back. She sprayed his face. Several times.

He wiggled his nose and sneezed.

And slept.

Finally, she resorted to yelling, “Lee, I’m pregnant!” several times and pulling on his legs, letting them plop back onto the bed.

He still slept like Rip Van Winkle.

Time for the drastic method he’d requested last night. She’d padded downstairs to the kitchen.

Now she stood in the doorway, watching him.

She glanced at the clock.

Time was running out.

It was now or never.

Once again, he’d rolled over and now lay on his stomach. She gently lifted the waistband of his pajama bottoms and slid them down over his hips, exposing his rear end. She nestled the ice cube on the crack of his butt and stepped back.

The cube slowly slid down the crease, and she waited for the coldness to hit a sensitive part of his body.

Within seconds, Lee jumped out of bed. “Damn, that’s cold!” He shook his legs, and the ice cube plopped onto the carpet.

“You told me last night to put ice down your pants to wake you. And I did try everything else to get you up, before I had to resort to that method.”

“You’re right. I vaguely remember telling you that Barney used it on me a couple of times to get me up for school.” He bent to pick up the melting ice. “I can think of some other things to do with this cube.” His eyes sparkled as he walked toward her.

Amanda pulled her robe tightly closed. “You don’t have time.” She pointed to the clock.

“There’s always later.” He popped what was left of the cube into his mouth and drew her to him. His lips descended to hers, and his cold tongue darted out to play with her warm one. It sent chills down her body.

“Later.” She pushed him away. “You have to get ready for work.”

Lee groaned and headed to the bathroom. While he showered, Amanda quickly dressed and went downstairs to make sure the ice cube tray was full. No telling what they might do with those cubes tonight. She wanted to make sure there were plenty on hand.

The End