- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors.
Soul Mates

“Listen to this.” Mother glanced up from her magazine.

“What’s that?” Amanda sat down in the chair and picked up her book. Trick-or-treaters had been ringing the doorbell for the last two hours. A quick glance at her watch told her that it should start to taper off soon.

“According to Celtic tradition, on Halloween night, you can use a mirror to see the face of your soul mate.”

“What are you reading, Mother?”

“Just an article about different Halloween folklore all over the world. Now, as I was saying. First, you light a single candle. Just before midnight, all others must leave the room and you must darken it, except for your candle. Facing the mirror and holding the candle in front of you with both hands, you must close your eyes and count to twelve. When you get to twelve, you can open your eyes. In the mirror, just over your shoulder, you may see the reflection of your soul mate. The image may disappear quickly, but, whatever you do, don’t turn around until it’s gone.”

“You don’t believe it, do you?”

“I think it might be fun. But I won’t see anyone in the mirror. I’ve already met my soul mate, and one day I’ll see him again.”

“You miss Daddy?”

“I’ll always miss your father, but he wouldn’t want me to be lonely. I’m going to go up and take a nice long bath, read some more, and light a candle at midnight.” Mother rose and kissed Amanda’s cheek. “It wouldn’t hurt you to light one, too. Maybe you’ll see Dean’s reflection.”

“Maybe.” Amanda didn’t want to discuss her boyfriend. Even though they’d been dating for a while, there was something missing. She wished she could put her finger on it. Maybe soon she would. “I’m going to go pick up the boys from the party.”

********

Three minutes to midnight, and Amanda stood in front of her dresser mirror. Phillip and Jamie were snug in their beds.

She picked up the candle and pictured her mother in her bedroom, doing the same thing. Shaking her head, she put it back down. ‘It’s just an old superstition,’ she chided herself. But what could it hurt? She switched off the light. Moonlight glowed through the window.

One minute before midnight. When she struck the match, the sulfur tickled her nose, and she brought the flame to the wick and lit the candle. She picked up the candle with both hands, held in front of her, and faced the mirror.

She felt silly, but she closed her eyes and began to count.

One.

Two.

Three.

When she reached twelve, she opened her eyes and looked in the mirror’s reflection, keeping her eyes focused on the room behind her.

Nothing.

Wait! Something shimmered over her left shoulder. No. Don’t turn around. She remembered that if she turned, the image would disappear.

She concentrated on the fuzzy image, and it became clearer.

A man’s face appeared in the reflection.

The image began to dissipate, but not before she was able to see it clearly.

“Oh my gosh!” She almost dropped the candle.

With shaking hands, she placed the candle down on the dresser. She didn’t believe it.

It couldn’t be him.

She blew out the candle and lay down in bed, pulling the covers up to her chin. Closing her eyes, she again saw the image of the man who had appeared behind her.

There was no doubt in her mind. It was him.

According to Celtic tradition, Lee Stetson was her soul mate.

The End