- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors.
Masquerade

He searched for her.

She’d refused to tell him her costume, saying he had to figure it out for himself. Of course, he then refused to tell her what he would be wearing. And it had taken him forever to decide.

Since neither of them would know the other, they’d decided to make it a game. To see if one could find the other before the award for best costume would be announced. The bet, riding on the outcome, was the winner’s choice. Lee didn’t know if he wanted to win or lose.

Halloween would now forever hold a special place in his heart. It had been during this time of year that he’d first met Amanda. So if she wanted to dress up and go to this party, he would do it gladly. Anything that made her happy made him happier.

He stayed on the perimeter of the party, checking out all the participants. Some hadn’t even tried very hard to disguise themselves. Others had gone all out, and it had taken him some time to figure out who was under the costume.

Lee laughed when he spotted Billy dressed as Sherlock Holmes, complete with deerstalker hat. As he passed by his boss, he caught a whiff of smoke, from the pipe “Mr. Holmes” had clenched in his teeth, and heard him asking if anyone had seen Watson.

As he continued his search, he bumped into a tall figure. He bowed and swept his hands in front of him in an apology. He stiffened his stance as Dr. Smyth--outfitted in a long black jacket, stovepipe hat, and black beard--gave him a questioning look. Thankfully, someone came between them, and Smyth moved on. A ninja assassin all dressed in black, including a black hood, stalked toward Lincoln’s retreating figure. It wasn’t John Wilkes Booth, but who cared? Someone was still out to get Smyth. Lee almost gave himself away by shouting out “shoot him.” To keep quiet, he gritted his teeth so hard his jaw ached. He resorted to silently cheering the ninja and hoped he achieved his objective.

He stopped at the edge of the dance floor and saw Batman and Cat Woman dancing together to the tune of “Monster Mash,” along with Spiderman and the bride of Frankenstein. The devil and a woman, with pasty white make-up and dressed in a flowing white gown, swept around the room. He assumed she was supposed to be a ghost. Dracula danced with an angel, Wonder Woman with Mr. Spock, Darth Vader with Princess Leia, Superman with a witch, and a mummy with Cleopatra. One thing he was grateful for. No one wore a tin man, lion, or scarecrow costume.

When Lee turned to check out the rest of the party, his gaze fell upon a spectacle he never thought he’d see in his lifetime. Mrs. Marston looked exactly like Mama from “Mama’s Family”--down to orthopedic white shoes, with stockings rolled at her knees, to her gaudy, lace-trimmed floral dress. One hand clutched her handbag, while the other hand dragged Elvis toward the dance floor.

The music stopped, and a voice came over the loud speaker.

“Five minutes until the end of the judging for best costume. Please make sure you’ve voted.”

Lee wound his way toward the podium where the winner would be announced. He hoped in these last few minutes he’d spot her. He hadn’t spoken all evening and was positive no one had guessed who he was. He stood next to Scooby Doo, and they both waited.

Billy/Sherlock took the podium. “We have our winner. It’s a tie. Let’s give a round of applause to ‘Bo Peep’ and her lost lamb.”

Francine walked up to the stage, carrying a shepherd’s hook and leading someone dressed up as a lamb.

Lee couldn’t image who would’ve been crazy enough to go along with Francine’s insane scheme. In fact, he wouldn’t put it past her to have stuffed the ballot box.

“I want to thank everyone who voted for us. I knew buying a designer costume would make the difference.” She swept her hand, with long painted fingernails, over her dress and then patted her perfectly coifed hair.

The lamb pawed her leg.

“It seems my lamb would like to introduce himself.”

The lamb stood up and removed his headpiece.

Lee chuckled softly at the man standing on the stage. He should’ve known who it was all along.

Effraim Beaman smiled down at the audience. “Thanks. I owe it all to my lady here, who came up with this brilliant idea for us to win.”

On Lee’s right, Scooby Doo took off his dog head. “Can you believe it?” Leatherneck said, shaking his head. “Beaman is insane to have let her lead him around on a leash all night. I think I can use a drink.” He walked off, scratching his head.

Lee nodded. Then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw her. He knew immediately it was her. No doubt in his mind.

Just as he walked up behind her, music began to play again and dancing commenced.

He touched her red-caped shoulder.

When she turned around, the basket she held swung in her arms, almost hitting him in the gut. He couldn’t see her face. He moved the hood from around her face and looked deep into the eyes of the woman he loved.

“Hey there, Li’l Red Riding Hood.” He caressed her cheek.

“What big eyes you have.”

“The better to see that you shouldn’t be walking through these spooky woods all alone. I’ll walk with you to Grandma’s to make sure you’re safe.” He bowed the best he could in his costume.

“What big teeth you have.” Amanda put her hands to the sides of her face, feigning horror.

“The better to eat you with, my dear.”

Her hand glided over his arm. “Your place or mine, Mr. Big Bad Wolf?”

Lee crooked his arm. “I think I won the bet.”

Amanda placed her hand on his arm. “Technically, you didn’t, since you didn’t find me until after the best costume award.”

“How ‘bout we both won?” He conceded. “Especially since we didn’t know what the other would be wearing and chose complimentary costumes.”

“It’s fate.” She patted his furry arm.

As they walked through the room, they passed Billy/Sherlock. “Have a good night, Lee.”

“How did you know it was me?”

“I’m Sherlock Holmes, my boy. It’s my job to solve mysteries. Red, watch yourself with him. He’s a feisty one.”

“I think I can tame the Big Bad Wolf.”

Billy let out a belly laugh. “I think you already have.”

The first stanza of the next song began to play.

Owooooooo!
Who’s that I see walkin’ in these woods?
Why, it’s Little Red Riding Hood.
Hey there, Little Red Riding Hood,
You sure are looking good.
You’re everything a big bad wolf could want.

Lee silently agreed. “Li’l Red Riding Hood” had tamed the “Big Bad Wolf” forever, and she was everything he wanted in life.

The End