- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.

Thanks: Rita and Miss Edna, you make my stories readable by catching all my grammar and other errors.
Christmas Surprise

September 1987

He wiped the palms of his hands along the sides of his pants. He couldn’t believe how sweaty they were. Doubts flooded his mind. Was he doing the right thing? Was he spending too much money? Would Amanda be mad at him? His heart raced. He’d be in hot water if she found out what he did, without talking it over with her first. No, he had to stop letting his worries get in the way of a good business opportunity. A once in a lifetime deal. In his heart, he knew she would approve in the long run.

Lee gulped and picked up the pen. His hand shook as he signed the paperwork. He swallowed hard as he handed the document over the desk. He was committed.

Out on the sidewalk, he pulled out his cell phone and started the ball rolling on the rest of his plans.

December 19, 1987

Everything was ready. It had taken all his spy knowledge to keep his wife from learning what he’d been doing in his spare time. On a couple of occasions, he’d thought he’d have to come clean. When the contractor had called, announcing himself as Mr. Jones, and asked for Lee, Amanda had answered the phone, and he was afraid he’d been caught. But he managed to wiggle out of it by telling her the man was an old friend, who was in town for a few days. He’d squirmed when she wanted to invite the guy to dinner, but then she’d been distracted when the boys came barreling into the room, all excited about Phillip’s basketball game and Jamie’s newest science project. So he was saved from further fibs.

And if all else failed, he could always tell her it was a surprise, and since it was the season for surprises, she’d either accept it, or try to wheedle it out of him. But he was determined to stay strong and resist her charms, even if it killed him. After all, if a spy couldn’t keep a secret, who could? Thankfully, it hadn’t come to that.

He glanced at his watch, tapping his shoe on the hardwood floor. “Ready yet?” he yelled up the stairs.

“Almost.” Amanda came bounding down the stairs dressed in jeans and a sweater. “Why won’t you tell me where we’re going?”

He pulled her coat out of the closet and helped her on with it. “Because it’s a pre-Christmas surprise. Please, no more questions.” He kissed her lightly on the lips.

“Well, since you put it that way.” She buttoned her coat. “Let’s go.”

Lee wasn’t sure how to broach the next subject. If she didn’t agree, the whole event would be ruined. “One more thing.”

“What?” She picked up her purse from the kitchen island.

“Could you please put this on when I tell you?” He pulled a blindfold from his pocket and dangled it in front of her.

Amanda grabbed the blindfold, twirled it, and giggled. “Games, Scarecrow?”

“Not those kind, but maybe later.” He winked. “I don’t want you to see where I’m taking you.”

She leaned up and kissed his cheek. “Okay. But only because it’s Christmas. Any other time, you’d have to come clean, Scarecrow.”

After settling Amanda into the passenger seat, Lee placed his hand on his stomach in an attempt to quiet the butterflies that fluttered inside. He’d been planning this for so long he couldn’t believe it would soon become a reality. While she’d been getting ready, he’d called and made sure everything was in place. He wasn’t leaving anything to chance. After starting the engine, he turned on the radio, found a station playing Christmas carols, and aimed the car toward Route 84.

Forty-five minutes later, they came to the turn-off, and he pulled over to the side of the road. “Please, put the blindfold on now.”

Amanda took it out of her pocket and handed it to him. “You can do the honors.” She turned slightly in her seat, and he tied it over her eyes.

“Can you see anything?”

She adjusted the blindfold and sat back in her seat, turned her head toward him, and smiled. “I’m blind as a bat.”

“Good. We should be there in about fifteen minutes.”

Lee parked in front of the cabin. Two large red Poinsettias flanked each side of the front door. He got out of the Wagoneer and stood for a moment, taking in the scenery. Pine trees rose majestically toward the sky. Sunlight gleamed through the branches, and a light breeze rustled the pine needles, sending snowflakes drifting to the ground. Brown pinecones peaked through the vast whiteness. Last night’s snowfall added to the ambience of the scene. He deeply inhaled the scent of the woods, and when he exhaled, a puff of white floated in the air. He shivered as he realized it was colder here in the country.

Snow crunched under his feet while he walked around to the passenger door. “We’re here.”

“Can I take this off now?”

“Not yet.” He took her hand is his, helped her out, and guided her to the front door.

At first, he’d thought about taking the blindfold off at this point. But if he did, the rest of the surprise would be ruined. He opened the door and placed his hand on the small of her back, and they entered the cabin.

Inside, a blazing fire roared in the fireplace. Christmas carols softly filled the air. The Christmas tree he’d decorated the week before sparkled with lights and tinsel. The transformation had been miraculous. In two short months, the cabin had been totally renovated. It had needed a lot of work. Glass panes replaced, heating and plumbing systems updated, and a brand new kitchen and a second bedroom added. It had stood dormant for almost four years, and neglect had taken a toll. Now, with tender loving care, it had been transformed.

“Merry Christmas.” He took off the blindfold.

Amanda looked around the room, and suddenly her eyes became huge. “Oh my gosh! It’s the . . .”

“It’s the cabin from our first Christmas Eve together.”

“How? When? Why?” She wrapped her arms around his waist.

Lee leaned down and kissed her. “‘How’ was by chance. I just happened to be reading about foreclosed properties, and when I saw a picture, I recognized the cabin immediately.” He kissed her again. “‘When’ was the end of summer. I drove up one afternoon when I was nearby on a milk run. I couldn’t believe the way it’d been neglected. All the memories of our night here came flooding back as I walked around this room. As soon as I returned to the city, I contacted the bank. I couldn’t believe the low price they were asking and decided this would make a perfect hideaway/getaway cabin for us. For the whole family.”

He led her to the window and drew back the curtain. “Did you know we have a lake?”

“No, where?”

“Right over there to the left.” He pointed to the ice-covered lake. “We can ice skate in the winter and swim in the summer. Spend long weekends here away from the city. Alone, or with family or friends.”

She turned in his arms and cupped his face. “The boys will love camping up here.” She brought her lips to his. “I love you.”

When they parted, he rested his forehead against hers and looked deep into her eyes. “Now for the ‘why.’ Memories. The memories of one night that changed my life forever. That night began the changing of my world, as I knew it. Looking at this dilapidated cabin back in September, I realized that one night holds a special place in my heart. I didn’t know it at the time, but I was already falling in love with you. I was just stubborn. I’m sorry it took so long for my brain to catch up. I guess I really was a Scarecrow who needed a brain back then.”

Amanda smiled, as a teardrop escaped her eye and ran down her cheek.

He kissed the tear away.

“I’m just glad you finally came to your senses.” She hugged him tight.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the bedroom door open, and the remainder of his surprise came into the room.

“Merry Christmas,” they yelled in unison.

“Oh my gosh!” Amanda ran to the gray-haired man and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Ted. How are you?”

“I’m fine. When Lee told me he bought the cabin and what he had planned, I couldn’t stay away.”

Lee stayed in the background and watched his wife greet their visitors.

“Dmitri. Ivan.” She kissed them each on the cheek. “Does your superior know you’re both here?”

“Not a problem. After going home, we decided that we no longer had the heart for our jobs. Dmitri and I defected. Much better to not make war.” Ivan rubbed his leg.

Lee winced, remembering that long ago night when they were both injured. He’d shot Ivan in the leg, and he’d taken a bullet in the shoulder. His hand reached up to rub his old wound.

“Yes, we are typical American businessman now,” Dmitri said. “We have own company in Dallas, Texas. We clean Texas Stadium after ballgames and see Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders all the time.” He grinned.

This had been the last of his surprise. When he found out that both Dmitri and Ivan had defected last year, he’d kept in touch with them periodically. They still had important contacts, and they were now part of his “family.” Once he’d purchased the cabin, he couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than to have a reunion of the five people who had spent a long Christmas Eve together under stressful circumstances.

Finding Ted had been another story. He finally located him only two weeks ago, living the life of a retiree in a small town in Wyoming.

“Is your daughter here? I would love to meet her.”

“No, maybe next time, Amanda. She’s pregnant, and since this short trip was arranged at the last minute . . .”

“I understand. Congratulations.”

“Thank you. Thank you both.” Ted smiled and shook Lee’s hand. “My life these last four years has been all that I imagined it could be. Karen and I have made up for lost time. It was hard at first, but we got through it. I’m enjoying playing grandpa and look forward to the birth of the newest addition.”

“Tis time to drink and party, yes?” Dmitri brought forth a bottle of hundred-ten proof vodka.

Ted went to the kitchen and returned carrying a pot full of baked beans and a bowl of guacamole dip, with a bag of chips tucked under his arm.

Lee’s stomach clenched when he saw the baked beans. He still hated them. No matter what spices Amanda used to doctor them, he couldn’t stomach them in any shape or form. The only reason he’d surrendered last time was because he had little choice, and he’d desperately wanted some of the vodka being passed around. For medicinal purposes only, of course. And the vodka had dulled the pain in his shoulder. He figured it had been an even trade. Today was different. Today he didn’t have to eat beans to get a drink of vodka.

“I have herring. Imported from Baltic.” Ivan opened the can and placed it on the table.

An hour later, Lee looked around the table at each person. Four years ago, two of these men wanted to kill them. Hell, even Ted wanted to, when he found out he’d been lied to. When he and Ivan had both been wounded and didn’t know if they would survive the night, something had changed. Now, that change rambled on, as only she could do.

They relived old times and talked of future plans. Dmitri and Ivan told of their defection from Mother Russia and how they’d contacted Lee six months ago, after reestablishing themselves in Texas. They told stories of their days in the KGB, and Ted, Lee, and Amanda reciprocated with tales of their escapades with the Agency. Of course, only things that could be revealed without jeopardizing National security.

Most of all, they talked about the first night they all spent in this very cabin. Their fears. Their hopes. Their dreams. And how that night changed each and every one of them.

“I hate to spoil the party, but the three of us have planes to catch,” Ted said, pointing to his watch. “Maybe now that you two are the proud owners of this place, we can do this again for a longer time.”

“You can count on it.” Lee dragged another chip through the guacamole. “We’ll have a longer reunion in the spring.”

“Before you leave, I propose a toast.” Amanda picked up her glass of vodka.

The four men stood. “Ladies, first.” Ted gallantly bowed to her.

“To peace on Earth and wonderful friends.” She took a drink from her glass.

“To the woman who made me believe in the true meaning of Christmas. My wife. My life.” Lee raised his glass toward Amanda. “And to the Washington Redskins, may they win the Superbowl.”

“To friends who are no longer with us.” Ivan looked forlornly at his glass.

“To Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.” Dmitri grinned and gulped his vodka.

Half an hour later, they watched from the front porch as the three men drove off. Lee wrapped his arms around his wife’s waist from behind. “Let’s go inside.”

Amanda looked up into the night sky, a sigh of contentment escaping her lips. “Look, it’s snowing.” She snuggled into his body, placing her hands over his.

In the moonlight, Lee faintly saw tiny specks of snowflakes falling to the ground. “Just like our last night here four years ago.” They stood there silently for a few moments, watching the snowflakes become bigger. A shiver traveled up his spine. “Time to go in.”

Inside the cabin, he noticed the fire growing low. “I better get some more wood for the night.”

Amanda cleaned the table. “We don’t have to go home tonight?”

“Nope, I told Dotty and the boys we’d be home tomorrow morning. I thought we’d go home and bring them up here for the day.”

“That’s a great idea. What are we going to tell them about this place?” She gestured with her arms, indicating the cabin.

“Just what I told you. I found this place, and it was deal I couldn’t pass up. The rest is memory, just for us.” Lee opened the door and went out to the woodpile stacked on the side of the porch. He grabbed a load of logs and carried them inside, dropping them in the woodbin next to the fireplace. When he heard Amanda in the kitchen, he added two logs to the ebbing embers. Soon the fire blazed forth once again.

He settled onto the couch in front of the fireplace and relaxed. He’d done it. He’d managed to keep Amanda from finding out about the cabin until he had everything in place for the reunion. It had been good seeing Ted and the two Russians again after such a long time.

Amanda walked back into the room and dimmed the lights so only the Christmas tree and fire illuminated the room. She sat down on the couch next to him. “Thank you for a wonderful gift and reunion.”

“My pleasure.” Lee slid his arm around her shoulders and touched her lips with his.

“Is that a real bearskin rug?” She pointed to the rug in front of the fireplace.

“That’s what the saleslady told me. She swore an oath that her son-in-law bagged the bear two years ago.”

She pulled off her boots and socks and wiggled her toes in the black fur. “It’s so soft.”

“You know that rug is big enough for two to lie on it.”

Clothes were soon strewn over the couch. Lee lay down on his side on the rug, cradling his head with his hand, and beckoned for her to join him by caressing the fur.

Amanda lay down next to him, and he captured her lips again. His tongue slowly licked the joining of her lips, until her mouth opened, granting him entrance. After kissing passionately for several minutes, he nibbled her lower lip, licked her upper one, then moved to her jaw. He placed a line of kisses along her jaw line until he reached her earlobe, where he nipped at the soft flesh until she cried out in pleasure.

He moved further down and took one hard nipple into his mouth. Gently, he sucked it deeper, increasing the pressure. “Stop, or I’ll explode.” She breathed heavily.

“You want me to stop?”

She ran her fingers through his hair. “Only for a brief moment, so I can get my bearings.”

“That’s the last time you get your bearings,” he growled and took possession of her other nipple. As he sucked, he rhythmically squeezed its twin with his fingertips. He played with her breasts, lightly biting, teasing, and pinching, until he heard her moans and felt her squirm underneath him.

When she slipped her hand between their bodies and cupped his balls, he groaned as he continued flicking her nipple with his tongue. He slid his hand down her stomach and between her legs and began to stroke her sex. Her legs opened wider, and he plunged his finger into her wet core.

Her hand stroking his cock made him stop. He needed to be deep inside her now. No more foreplay. He wanted to sheath himself in her depths. To feel her pulse around him. To feel her grip his cock hard and drain him of his very essence.

He shifted positions, so he was sitting on his knees, and sat back on his heels, grateful that the rug covered the hardwood floor and cushioned his body. Amanda needed no guidance and straddled him. His cock slid into her slick heat, and she leaned back and rested her hands on the floor. At first, she moved slowly, setting up a rhythm. His hands moved to her waist, guiding her movements. Their bodies moved in tandem, faster and faster. His thumb slid to her swollen clitoris, and he rubbed it vigorously. It didn’t take long before he felt her muscles clench around him as her orgasm burst. His cock stiffened, and he came hard, pouring his essence deep inside her. They both collapsed onto the rug.

After they’d come down from the euphoria of their lovemaking, the firelight illuminated their sweat-laden bodies. He swiped a stray tendril of hair from her cheek. When he felt a cold chill run up his spine, Lee grabbed the afghan that hung over the back of the couch. He wrapped it around them, and they snuggled in front the fire.

“Merry Early Christmas,” he whispered into her ear.

Amanda cupped his face with her hands. “Merry Christmas. I love you. Who would’ve thought, four years ago, we would be saying those words to each other?” She brought her lips to his in a soft kiss.

“What words?”

“I love you.”

“Back then, I have to admit I never thought I’d ever utter those three little words to anyone.” He kissed her. “Especially to you.”

“I was a bit of a pain in your side.” She laughed.

He laughed with her. “One that couldn’t follow orders.” He reached out and stoked the fire with the poker, making flames shoot up.

“Aren’t you glad I didn’t?” She yawned.

“Yes. In hindsight, I can admit that now. I love you.” He looked down and found his wife sleeping peacefully in his arms. He could admit a lot of things now. Things he thought would never be a part of his life. Lee Stetson as a one-woman man, for one. If anyone had told him four years ago that the woman who aggravated him to no end would be his wife, he would’ve said they were insane. Now he couldn’t imagine being with any other woman.

At times, he regretted his playboy past, but Amanda told him repeatedly that it had made him the man he was today. You couldn’t change your past, but you could change your future. Amanda completed his life. She made it worth living.

As the fire glowed, Lee felt sleep tugging at him; his eyelids closed. He snuggled closer to Amanda. The soft strains of “Silent Night,” coming from the radio, wafted through the room. His last conscious thoughts were of the memories this cabin held and the memories they would make here together, as a couple, and with friends and family.

The End