- Text Size +

Title: I Will Comfort You

Author: Rita (dittypiddler)

Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King belong to Shoot the Moon Productions and Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.

Thanks to Miriam and the famous MEAP Team for their usual fine beta.

Rating: G

Feedback: Always

I Will Comfort You

"Why? Why did they kill her?" Amanda lowered Marianna’s head to the floor and looked up at him, tears in her eyes.

"She was a witness, Amanda. They couldn’t let her live." Lee Stetson had seen this kind of thing many times. He had never gotten used to it. "Hey. You all right?" It was a silly question and he knew it. Amanda King was obviously not "all right." She was a civilian. She had never experienced the seedy side of his life, with its violence and death. She should never have to experience it. No one should. Certainly not someone as innocent as Amanda. In Scarecrow’s world, innocent people sometimes died. People like Marianna.

Amanda shook her head.

"Come on. Let’s get out of here." Lee helped her to her feet and led her out of the café. He put his arm around her shoulders and drew her close, hoping she took some comfort from the gesture.

Lee closed his eyes and then opened them wide, trying to focus on his report on the Brackin case. The effort didn’t help; he couldn’t concentrate.

Whenever he looked at the page, he saw not the words, but the shock in Amanda’s eyes. Oh, God, he had hit Amanda. How could he have done that?

The aftermath only made him feel guiltier, tightened the knot in his stomach. Amanda had forgiven him, just as she always forgave him. She’d been totally convincing when he pretended to shoot her. And she’d recruited help and saved his butt . . . again.

Not that he deserved saving. He couldn’t shake the recurring thought. ‘I hit Amanda. He had watched the light go out in her beautiful eyes. There was no excuse for his actions. He couldn’t let himself off the hook this time.

"Lee? Are you all right?" He’d been so lost in his thoughts he hadn’t heard Amanda’s approach.

"Yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking." ‘About the shock and hurt in your eyes. Your eyes have always held only warmth and trust in me. I betrayed that trust.’ He had to try to make it right. "Amanda, about what I did back there at Nedlindger’s."

"Oh, Leeeee." Amanda sighed. "You already apologized for that, and I told you I understand. Really I do. I wish you would forget about it. I have."

"I can’t forget about it." Lee ran his hand through his hair. "Every time I think about it, I . . . Amanda, I hit you."

"Lee, for heaven’s sake! You didn’t mean it. You were just playing your cover. If there is a man on this planet with a more gentle touch, I haven’t met him. Now will you please just forget about it? I came to tell you Mr. Melrose wants to see us. Come on." She motioned for him to follow her.

Lee shook his head and smiled. ‘How could anyone be anything but gentle with you?’ He didn’t know why she always forgave him, but it was comforting that she did.

Amanda was terrified. She had been in some tight places before, but this was the worst yet--handcuffed to a pipe and about to be thrown into a furnace. And Lee had no idea where to find her. When she was in trouble, Lee was always with her or close by. But not this time. He had no way of knowing where Mr. Eagles had taken her. ‘He’ll find me. Lee will find me. He’s never let me down yet. He won’t now.’

She had always depended on Lee’s strength. Thinking of him, Amanda found strength inside herself.

~~~~~~

"How did you find me?" Amanda couldn’t keep her voice from shaking, even though she had been confident that Lee would come for her. Looking into his eyes, she saw a mixture of fear and relief.

"I guess you could say I made a little deal with the devil." He took a deep breath. "And I’m sure glad I did."

As he pulled her into his embrace, Amanda realized they had both known fear. But now that fear was replaced by a sense of comfort.

"Amanda, this is something that’s very personal. Can’t you just leave it at that?" Lee loved this woman with a depth he had not thought possible. She had taught him so much about love through the years. It had taken him a long time to admit that love, even to himself. And even longer to admit it to her.

And yet, the information he had received, accusing his parents of being double agents during the war, had shaken him badly. He didn’t think he could share it with anyone--not even Amanda.

"No. Because when somebody that I care about hurts, I hurt, too." Amanda jutted out her chin in the stubborn gesture he knew so well. No, he knew she wouldn’t let it go. Not Amanda. But part of him still held back.

"I’ve never told anyone. I’ve never leaned on anybody. Even when I needed to." He’d been alone for so long. He had never allowed anyone to get as close to him as Amanda had done. And letting someone in was an invitation to get hurt.

"You can lean on me. I’m a lot stronger than I look." She held his gaze, and he couldn’t look away.

Yes, she was strong--the strongest person he’d ever known. And she’d always been there for him. Always would be. Even now.

Lee shook his head and smiled. He knew it was true. They had been through seven kinds of hell together. They were a lot better together than they were apart. He stood and held out his hand to her. "Let’s take a walk." Maybe it was time to let her all the way into his life.

~~~~~~

Lee listened to Amanda’s voice as she read from his mother’s diary. He could have been listening to his own story--their own story. What if he had given that package to someone else? No, this was meant to be. He had picked the right woman, just as his father had picked the right woman.

Amanda finished reading and moved to sit beside him. She put her arms around him and smiled gently. "Like father. Like son."

~~~~~~

Lee hadn’t been here, here in the cemetery housing his parents’ graves, in a long time. It had been easier that way.

Now, things were different. The monster in his dream finally had a face. The monster--Thomas Blackthorn--was dead. His parents were cleared of treason charges.

And he had Amanda.

He reached out to her. "I wish you could have known them."

She smiled and put her arms around him. "I think I do."

Lee gazed into the loving eyes of the woman to whom he was pledging his heart and his life. "I, Lee, take thee, Amanda, to be my lawful wedded wife. To have and to hold from this day forward. For better or for worse. For richer or poorer . . ." They had traveled a long road to reach this moment. A road paved with peril, pain, and finally, with love. He knew he would never be alone again. Together they were complete. Whatever obstacles they encountered in the years ahead, they would comfort each other, for all the days of their lives.

The End