- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs. King and its characters belong to WB and Shoot the Moon Productions. No infringement is intended. This is written for entertainment purposes only. Please do not redistribute or reproduce this story without my permission.
Amanda,

I have to ‘Breakaway’. ‘They Are Among Us.’ ‘Saving Emily’ is paramount. I’ve taken her to the ‘House of Secrets.’ ‘Gods and Generals’ surround me. I’ve set up a path for you to follow undetected. I know you’ll be ‘Brilliant’. Watch out for ‘Road Raiders’.

‘Till We Meet Again.’

Lee

Amanda stared at the note. Was it ‘A Cry For Help’? Had he been in the espionage business to long? What was her husband up to!

She scanned the business card that she’d found inside the envelope. A clue as to where he wanted her to go next.

‘The Baltimore Bullet’

Home of the used car King of Deals. No one turned away. Your job is your credit.

When she turned it over she saw instructions in Lee’s handwriting.

Find the red Ford Mustang. It’ll be ‘The Last Convertible’ at the very back of the lot. Open the glove compartment for your next clue.

Grabbing her purse she flew out the door and headed to the car lot.

The Mustang had been easy to spot and she opened the glove box. Inside she found another note from Lee.

‘The East of Eden’, Oriental restaurant is your next stop. Order a deluxe fortune cookie from the waitress named ‘Zoya.’

Upon entering the restaurant she placed her order with Zoya. Cracking open the cookie she pulled out the white slip of paper.

‘Bare Essence’ Styling Salon. Let our ‘Young Blades’ style your hair in today’s wildest fashion.

At the salon Amanda gaped at the customers getting their hair done. She’d never seen anything so wild in her life. One girl looked like an angel, so sweet and innocent. Well except for the green hair. She was an ‘Angel in Green’. Another patron walking towards her had a red Mohawk and a t-shirt with the words ‘Kiss Me, Kill Me,’ emblazoned in gold letters. When she passed she slipped Amanda a note.

Positive her next clue was within the note she left the wild establishment and opened it.

‘The Perfect Nanny’ Daycare’s finest for your ‘Perfect Family’.

At the day care she was meet with ‘Silence.’ Naptime she surmised. One of the workers, who looked frazzled beyond belief, greeted her by handing her another business card.

‘Diplomatic Immunity' multiplex theater. Home of Washington’s largest house of movies. See ‘The Town Bully’ holding a pair of ‘Kuffs’ at the box office.

Upon arrival, Amanda noticed that horror seemed to be this week’s theme. ‘Legion of the Dead,’ ‘Snakehead Terror,’ ‘Killer Flood,’ ‘Contagion,’ ‘Murderous Vision,’ ‘From the Dead of Night,’ ‘A Killer Upstairs’ and ‘Murder at the World Series’ were all on the marquee.

Finding the town bully holding cuffs wasn’t a problem. He stood outside the door handing out flyers.

As she scanned the paper she saw her next location would be the ‘Hope Ranch’ bar. ‘Sixpack Annie’ proprietor. The ‘Passion Flower’ our house specialty. You’ll have ‘Wild Times’ every evening when you drink this exotic elixir.

When she opened the door to the bar Amanda found herself immersed in the world of Hollywood westerns. Photos of James Arness in ‘How the West Was Won’ and Kenny Rogers in ‘The Gambler’ starred back at her. Other photos depicted ‘Gunsmoke,’ ‘Wyatt Earp,’ ‘Down the Long Hills’ and ‘Red River.’ Even photos from a show called ‘Bring ‘em Back Alive’ were hung on the wall. One of the themes seemed to be the same actor had a part in all of the shows. Like a shrine to one man’s accomplishments.

A drunk stumbled into her and when he apologized and tipped his hat he handed her a message.

It was ‘Perilous’ you be away from the house. ‘The Secret’ is safe. ‘Fly Away Home’ I hope when you arrive I’ll have ‘Diplomatic Immunity’ from your wrath of being sent all over town for the afternoon. I hope I don’t have to make a ‘Flight from Justice’ or be tried for ‘Double Jeopardy’. I’ll ‘Free Fall’ into your arms, ‘Me and My Hormones’ await.

In all truth Amanda wasn’t angry for being sent on a wild goose chase. She’d been to some interesting locales and meet some very colorful people. Sliding her key into the door she opened it and silence met her entrance.

“Happy Birthday!” Yelled by dozens of her friends and family filled the room.

But today wasn’t her birthday. Lee grabbed her by the waist and pulled her into his arms. “Now tell me you aren’t surprised. If we’d done this next week on your birthday you’d have been suspicious.”

He had her there. It turned out to be the best surprise party anyone had ever given her. One she would never forget.

The End