2009 Christmas Challenge by Friday Challenge
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 11143 Read: 60881 Published: 03/03/10 Updated: 03/03/10
Story Notes:
The Challenge: This month we’re setting a Christmas challenge. We’ve got two choices for you. We have 20 words for you and you’ll need to use at least TEN of them, OR we have a line for you to use. The words are: ICE, COLD, HEART, UNWRAP, TEDDY, STOCKING, MISTLETOE, SCROOGE, SNOWFLAKE, BRANDY, RIBBONS, EGGNOG, EYELASH, TINSEL, KISS, SCARF, ANGEL, RED, BOWS, ASSIGNMENT. The line is: FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC.

Instructions:

You can use the words, or line, as many times as you want but you must use them at least once in your story.

Please CAPITALIZE the words/line in order to make them stand out.

The words/line must be EXACTLY as noted in the challenge.

Your submission can be of any length, from a line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else.

1. Prelude to Romance - Jan by Friday Challenge

2. Chapter 2 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge

3. Gifting Etiquette - Charlie by Friday Challenge

4. Just Another Christmas Eve - Charlie by Friday Challenge

5. Christmas in New York - Sue by Friday Challenge

6. Cold Hands, Warm Heart - Charlie by Friday Challenge

7. Chapter 7 - Charlie by Friday Challenge

Prelude to Romance - Jan by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Author’s Note: In the Middle Ages in England it was the custom for noble houses to send their children to the estate of another noble – usually of higher rank – to train. This custom gradually became less popular and went out of fashion with the start of the Civil War in the mid-seventeenth century. You can still see remnants of the system in the British royal household. The Queen has her equerries and ladies in waiting.

Those of you who have read “Black Silk” may remember Cole’s parents being mentioned. This is the story of the day they met. It is taken out of context, therefore a lot of things have to be accepted as understood.

Those of you who have not read “Black Silk”, will be totally confused by this story, and for that I apologize.
oo000oo

The young woman’s heavily embroidered skirts rustled as she shivered and pulled her woolen wrapper tighter around her shoulders. At this time of the evening, the solar was too cold for the other women of the household. During the day the large room with so many windows allowed the sunlight to warm the space, but at night, it was used only as a convenient and private place for trysts.

Solitude, rather than a lovers’ tryst, was what Tamara had been seeking. She sat near the small fire she’d lit and set her neat stitches in the linen she was holding; the large wax work candle giving her enough light to see. Wax candles were a luxury but one she could afford, and her eyes didn’t need a lot of light to see the fine pattern she was fashioning with her needle.

As one of the Duchess’ ladies in waiting, she had many duties, but this evening with the festivities in the great hall, she didn’t think she’d be missed. She’d needed a little time alone to consider the effect their unexpected guest might have on her life.

It was Yuletide in the year of our Lord 1602 and Queen Bess, although frail, was still on the throne of England, and Tamara had a secret.

A secret, that if it were made known, would have her hunted down like an animal.

A secret that was shared by the man who’d arrived that very day.

She’d made discreet enquiries and found his name was Malik Colburn and that he came from the wilds of Ireland. She’d heard him speak, and his accent had made his voice sound like music. Since birth, she’d been taught to respect the name of Colburn, but she’d been out of touch with her kind for so long, she had no idea where he stood in the hierarchy.

Tamara had sensed, had smelled, what he was as soon as he’d stepped into the hall; just as surely as he’d known her as one of his kind. She’d breathed in his scent; a scent that was as welcome as a summer shower after a hot spell, or the wonderful smell of newly cut hay.

Their eyes had met across the hall during the evening meal and he’d inclined his head in acknowledgment of their similarities. She thought, now, of those eyes, the deep blue that seemed to burn into her soul; his black hair that had made her fingers tingle with longing to touch it.

Would he seek her out?

Her sharp ears picked up a slight sound on the stairwell. Turning her head in the direction of the opening at the far end of the room, she had a moment to steady her composure before he appeared in the doorway.

Tamara put aside her sewing and stood, patiently waiting for him to approach. She knew she should be modest and keep her eyes lowered, but she couldn’t resist meeting his gaze. With silent cat-like grace, which obviously came so naturally to him, he advanced to where she sat, and swept her bow. Straightening he took her offered hand and raised it to his lips.

“My lady. You’re alone in this house?” He gestured for her to take her seat again, remaining standing until she’d done so. She knew he hadn’t meant physically alone.

When he was seated on the settle on the opposite side of the hearth, she answered him. “Yes, my lord. My parents sent me to her grace’s household when I was young.”

“And the nobles have not yet discovered you?”

“No, my lord. The fashion for white paint has allowed me to disguise my lack of ageing, but I fear I will need to leave soon. Her grace is beginning to give me strange looks; we have the same number of years, but she feels hers as I do not.” She pulled her sewing on to her lap to give her hands something to hold; to stop them from trembling.

“Where does your family hail from?”

“My family has spent the last several hundred years in Northumberland, my lord.” Even though temptation was strong to look him in the eyes, she kept hers demurely downcast.

“They supported the true queen?”

“Aye, my lord, and will be happy when her son sits on the throne of England.”

“Do you know who I am, my lady?” His voice held a touch of impatience.

“I have heard of your name, my lord.”

“I am the heir.”

Tamara’s eyes grew wide, and scrambled to her feet and then into a deep curtsey; her sampler falling to the floor. “Your highness! I didn’t realize, please forgive me.”

With regal grace, he stood and reaching out he placed one finger under her chin to make her rise up. “Please, there is no need to bow before me.”

Standing, she dared look at his beautiful face again. “But, your highness, one day you will be my king.”

“And when that day comes, who will you owe allegiance to? Prince Jamie who will be king of England or to the leader of your kind?”

“To both of you, your highness.” She lifted her chin a little higher. “We must obey the laws of the land we live in.”

“And if I would have you stand by my side as my mate and as my queen; what would you say?”

Tamara swallowed and wondered if her future really lay with this very regal creature. From deep inside, her pride made itself known. “I would say, that I would want to be courted first.”

Malik stepped closer and took her hand, lifting it to his lips; he let the kiss linger a little longer than was proper. Deliberately he caressed the delicate skin with his mouth and with the roughness of his tongue. “I think I could do that.” He smiled at her and led her to the settle, pulling her down next to him as he sat.

Facing the hearth, he held her hand, and as the FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC, they talked of the future.

A future that she hoped would hold centuries of love, freedom, and the continuation of a dynasty.
Chapter 2 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge
The Christmas tree twinkled with multicolored lights. Presents wrapped with brilliant colors nestled beneath it.

FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC.

Christmas used to be just another day to him, one to be avoided. Until Amanda came into his life. Her love opened his heart. Now, he saw the joy of Christmas.

He placed the heart shaped ornament on the tree in a prominent spot. `You make my life complete' was inscribed on it.

Amanda wrapped her arm around his waist. "Mine too."

They snuggled on the couch in the magical glow of the holiday season.
Gifting Etiquette - Charlie by Friday Challenge
Title: Gifting Etiquette
Timeline – sometime in the 4th, around Christmas of course
Genre – Smut
Disclaimers: All the usual!
Author – Charlie

Lee stood in the bathroom, shifting indecisively from one foot to the foot. It wasn't like him to be so unsure of himself, especially not when it came to the bedroom, but this was different. It was Amanda he was dealing with, not some buxom bimbo he'd picked up at bar for a weekend frolic. Amanda... Well... Amanda was important. Her opinion mattered to him. He wanted her to see him in a positive light but... A frown marred his brow as he stared at the mirror. He was naked save his boxers and therein lie the problem. His boxers.
Rather than his usual serviceable blue, he was sporting a rather `festive' pair that he'd picked up on a whim after having one too many at Monk's. They were RED and sported a SNOWFLAKE pattern with a cluster of MISTLETOE printed on the front and the words "Give me a KISS under the mistletoe" emblazoned overtop.

At the time, he'd though they were just the thing. He wanted to give Amanda an unusual Christmas gift and wrapping himself up had seemed so apropos when he was in the thrall of a BRANDY induced haze. Now, he decided they were just tacky and she might even be insulted. Their physical relationship was still rather new and a bit conservative by his standards but he wanted to take things slowly and not scare her off.

Not that she'd seemed at all put out by anything he'd done so far, but he knew she wasn't as experienced as he was. Amanda King didn't take sex lightly. To her, it was a way to bond; to express their love and devotion ... Maybe she'd think he was making a mockery of their physical union!

He let out a gusty sigh. For so many years, people had said he was a SCROOGE, and he acknowledged that he had been one, giving everyone a SCARF for Christmas simply because it was easy and required no time commitment or thought on his part. But he was really trying to get into the spirit of Christmas. His gifts for the boys and Dotty had been carefully thought out and now waited under the tree at Amanda's house, all bedecked in RIBBONS that he'd tied himself.

The most important gift, the one for Amanda was wrapped and waiting beside the bed, but he'd originally thought they'd have some fun with the boxers first. He eyed himself in the mirror one more time, shivering slightly in the COLD. No, he couldn't do it. Not yet. His Amanda wasn't ready for—

A knock on the bathroom door interrupted his train of thought.

"Lee? Are you all right in there?"

With a start, he realized how long he'd been standing there waffling. He'd led Amanda to the bedroom and then said he'd be right out, but that had been what? Ten minutes ago. Quickly turning, he grabbed for his standard blue boxers just as the door cracked open and Amanda popped her head in.

"Lee? Are you all ri—" She stopped mid word and stared at him, her mouth forming a perfect `O', her eyes wide.

Lee froze and watched with trepidation as she took in his boxers, read the words emblazoned on the front and absorbed their meaning. He closed his eyes and winced. Amanda's face was turning red. Her hand was clamped to her mouth. She was shocked, probably angry...

Inhaling deeply, he opened his eyes. "Amanda, I'm sorry. I—" He stopped. There was the strangest sound coming from the love of his life. If he didn't know better, he'd think she was...Laughing? It was his turn to stare in disbelief. His Amanda was laughing at the shockingly inappropriate saying on his boxers?

"Oh Lee, those are hysterical. Where did you find them?"

"Uh...at Bastian's. It's a novelty shop around the corner from Monks."

"Well, they certainly are novel. Do they light up?"

"Light up?" He blinked in surprise.

"Yes. Light up. Mother was telling me about this pair that she saw and they lit up in front."

"Er...no. No lights."

"Oh well. That's okay. I think I can find my way without having the runway lit up." She grabbed Lee's hand and tugged him into the bedroom. "Was this my Christmas present?"

"Well, part of it. It's just a joke, you know. I wasn't expecting..."

"Now Lee. Don't be that way. You can't give a present and then take it back. It's not nice."

"But..."

Amanda gave him a gently push back on the bed and then straddled him. "I can see that you need some lessons in gift giving etiquette. Let me show you." She winked at him. "First you hold the gift." Her hands rested on his still flaccid penis. "Then you might give it a little squeeze or a shake." Tenderly, she stroked him and he felt himself immediately responding. "Next, carefully unwrap the present." Nimbly, her fingers pulled him free of the boxers. "Last you exclaim over the wonderful colour, or shape as you explore your new possession."

Lee closed his eyes and swallowed hard. Amanda's fingers were trailing up and down his shaft, teasing his balls, squeezing and caressing before moving up to his tip and stroking the sensitive head.

In a husky voice, Amanda continued her instructions. "Now, if the gift is something you can eat, you might want to take a taste."

Lee opened his eyes and watched as her tongue darted out and licked his length. A groan escaped his throat when he saw her wet her lips and then slide her mouth over his head. Oh god that felt so good, all hot, and wet. Amanda's head bobbed up and down and Lee grabbed the sheets trying to resist thrusting deeply. He never would have believed his Amanda was so talented.

After what was both too long and too short of a time, Amanda lifted her head and smiled up at him. "Of course, many presents have one problem."

"They do?" His mind was a bit fuzzy and he struggled to think of what problem she was referring to. From his point of view, everything was perfect!

"Uh huh. The problem is size. Some presents are too small and some are too big. It's important to try things on." Amanda rose on her knees and Lee wondered at what point in time she'd shed her clothes. He didn't recall it happening but she was definitely naked and leaning over top of him.

Her milk white skin gleamed in the faint moonlight that streamed through the bedroom window. He reached up and ran his hands over her hips and up her sides to the soft globes of her small pert breasts. The dark rose nipples were already stiff and he gently caressed them, evoking a moan of pleasure from her lips.

Amanda stared down at him, her eyes almost black. She grasped his manhood and guided it to her entrance, then slowly sank down on him. In unison, they sighed in pleasure. "Mmm, a perfect fit. No need to return this gift," Amanda smiled down at him before she began to move, rocking against him.

Lee stared up at her. Her breasts were jiggling in time with her movements and her dark curls bounced about her face. A look of intense concentration was on her face as she focused on where they were connected and the incredible pleasure they could give each other.

She started to pick up the pace, moving faster and Lee grasped her hips, and quickly flipped them over. Her squeal of surprise was smothered by his lips crashing down on hers, then he took control, pounding into her, going deeper than he ever thought possible. She felt so good, so hot, so tight. He'd never get enough.

Feeling Amanda starting to tremble, he moved faster, grinding himself against her sensitive bundle. She threw back her head, her mouth opened. "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh...Lee!"

As she went over the edge, he allowed himself to follow, waves of pleasure cascading through him until he felt thoroughly spent. He collapsed on top of her, then rolled to the side, holding her cradled in his arms.

After a few moments, she chuckled. "Did you like your lesson in gift etiquette?"

"Oh, yeah. Best lesson I've ever had."

"Good, because there's one more step that I haven't shown you."

"Really?" Lee angled his head so he could see her face. "What's left?"

A mischievous grin crept over Amanda's face and her hand snaked down his body to grasp his shaft. "Well, if you really like your gift, you should show your appreciation by playing with it over and over and over..."
Just Another Christmas Eve - Charlie by Friday Challenge
Title: Just Another Christmas Eve
Possibly a bit of a different Christmas story...
All the usual disclaimers apply.

Eyes closed, Lee absorbed the sensations around him. Rustling sounds, breathing, a sheet covering his body. He licked his dry lips and grimaced. The taste that met his tongue certainly wasn't high quality BRANDY. Inhaling deeply, he noted that the smell of cedar was missing. Strange...Just a few minute ago he was sure there'd been a fresh Christmas tree in the living room.

Furrowing his brow, he tried to make sense that little mystery. Had he been in the living room? It had all seemed so clear but now, it was rather hazy... Maybe he'd had a bit too much of that spiked EGGNOG at the Agency Christmas party. Fielder was always pushing the stuff, seeing who he could get drunk enough to do something really embarrassing. From the way he felt, it was certainly possible that he was suffering from a major hangover. Every inch of his body seemed to hurt.

Briefly he thought about opening his eyes but if he was indeed hung over, the light would be like needles going into his brain. It was best to wait. He'd go back to sleep for awhile and then solve the problem of the missing tree...

*****

Gentle fingers traced over his brow, then down his cheek. A voice whispered softly in his ear. "Sweetheart, it's time to wake up. It's Christmas Eve you know."

The voice was soothing and slightly husky. It brought a smile to his face. He knew that voice, heard it in his dreams and secret wishes. Opening his eyes, he saw an ANGEL hovering over him. Deep brown eyes smiled into his.

"Hey, big fella. I thought you'd never wake up."

Reaching up, he pulled her down for a slow, warm kiss. "Mmm... Sorry about that. I don't know why I'm so sleepy."

"It's the after effects of your ASSIGNMENT. Being drugged takes a lot out of you."

"You can say that again." He swung his legs up and bit back a groan. His arms and legs felt heavy, like he could hardly move them but, if he'd indeed been drugged, then some residual complaints could be expected.

"Here, I made you some of that fancy coffee; the kind with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top." She wrapped his hands around the warm cup and kissed the tip of his nose. "Now you just sit there and relax while the kids and I finish up."

Leaning back in the recliner, he observed the festivities before him. The children were stringing popcorn while their mother put the finishing touches of RIBBONS and bows on presents wrapped in bright RED and green paper. Carols were playing softly in the background and through the window, a light snow was falling. Lee felt a smile breaking out on his face and contented warmth settling in his HEART. This was how it was meant to be. Sitting with his family on Christmas Eve, not stuck doing some rotten assignment in an ICE COLD warehouse or a god-forsaken back alley.

"We're all done!" Delighted cries met his ears as the children danced around the room with the popcorn chain."

"Be careful you two, or that will break!" Their mother warned as she abandoned her wrapping and rescued the garland. Together they draped it around the tree. The chain was a bit sparse in some areas but matched the tree perfectly. The boys had helped decorate the evergreen and most of the ornaments and TINSEL were from the middle of the tree down, only a few having made it to the upper branches. Lee grinned. While not the perfectly assembled yuletide symbol pictured on Christmas cards, it was a family tree, decorated with love and excitement. That was what really mattered.

The children chattered away and a plate of cookies appeared along with a glass of milk and carrots for the reindeer. "Will Santa really eat all of those cookies," a wistful little voice asked.

"Well... There are quite a few. I suppose you can each have one before going to bed." Winking at Lee, she handed out two cookies then herded the children towards the bedrooms. Thundering feet could be heard racing up the stairs then the running of water as teeth were brushed. Finally all was quite.

Lee felt his eyes growing heavy. Night was falling and the room darkened. A fire crackled in the hearth. THE FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC. A soft sigh reached his ear and the cushions compressed beside him as a warm body settled next to his. Her hand grasped his and squeezed gently. "I love you," she whispered, laying her head on his shoulder.

"I love you, too." He murmured back, idly reaching up and twirling a brunette curl around his finger. Inhaling deeply, her intriguing scent filled him. She was perfect, from her deep chocolate brown eyes, to her slim figure and sexy voice. Her sense of humour, her kindness, her optimistic outlook... Everything he'd ever wanted was embodied in this one woman. Closing his eyes, he smiled and relaxed into the soft cushions. Yes, everything he'd ever wanted was here...

"Rest now. We'll be waiting for you..." Her words echoed in his ear as he fell asleep.

*****

He was cold. His feet felt like ice. The soft chair had been replaced by a hard, flat surface. What was going on? Where was the smell of cedar? Why were there no carols playing? His wife should be snuggled beside him. Something was wrong, dreadfully wrong. Forcing his eyes open, he blinked.

A stark white ceiling was the first thing he saw, then equally bland walls and an array of machines beeping and blinking. The unmistakeable smell of medicine assaulted his nostrils and he felt a wave of panic rush through him.

"What?" He struggled to sit up but firm hands pushed him back down.

"Take it easy, Scarecrow."

Lee darted his eyes to the person beside him. A tall blonde woman, fashionably dressed, with just the faintest furrow on her brow was standing beside him. Francine.

Licking his lips, he spoke carefully, not wanting to reveal too much of his confusion. "How long have I been here?"

"Ten days. It was touch and go for awhile. They used a new drug on you and it took some time to come up with an antidote"

"And I was on assignment...?"

"By yourself. As usual. You know Lee, you really need to get off your high horse and accept another partner. This lone wolf thing has gone on long enough. One of these days, we're not going to find you in time and despite what you might think, some of us will miss you." Francine ran her perfectly manicured fingers across his forehead and gave him a half smile.

The gesture was meant to be comforting but it was nothing compared to the gentle touch of his wife. His wife! Where was she? And what about the children? He voiced his concerns. "My family?"

"Family?" Francine looked taken aback for a moment. "Oh! You mean your uncle. Billy called him and the Colonel said to give you his best when you came around."

Lee was silent for a moment. His uncle. That's right. There was no one else. No one really cared if he lived or died. The happy home with a wife and children around him was just part of a drug induced hallucination. A wave of sorrow washed over him and his HEART ached. They didn't exist, yet he felt their loss as keenly as if the dream had been a reality.

Lowering his lids, he sent Francine on her way. "I'm tired. I think I'll rest now."

"Sure, Lee. I'll come and see you tomorrow, if I have time." He heard the clicking of her heels and the gentle whoosh of the door closing.

Opening his eyes, he plucked at the sheet covering him. It had all seemed so real. The tree, the carols, the presents and the fireplace; his wife and children gathered around him. He could recall every detail of the room, every expression that had flit over the faces of his children. Inhaling deeply, he knew exactly what his wife had smelled like, how her hair felt, the softness of her touch on his face, the sweetness of her lips...

He swallowed hard and firmed his jaw. None of that was real; he should put it out of his mind. Picking up the newspaper that was laying on the bedside table, he noted that it was December twenty-fourth, Christmas Eve. Setting it aside, he turned his head to look out the window. A soft snow was falling and the glow of Christmas lights could just be seen.

Blinking rapidly, he scrubbed his face, catching the lone tear that had escaped his eye. Another Christmas Eve and he was all alone. Merry Christmas, Stetson.
Christmas in New York - Sue by Friday Challenge
Title: Christmas in New York.

Author: Sue

Rating: G

Time Frame: Fourth season, engaged.

Author's Notes: I should say warning instead of notes. This story is not beta'd yet, but I wanted to post it for the holidays. Now, you get to see (read) just how badly I write and how much work Rita and Miss Edna put into making my stories readable. I hope you enjoy this story. My brother and I make this trek every year. This year is the first that we've missed in the past 20 years. On the bottom of the page, you will find some links to the places in the story.

Merry Christmas to all the Gutter Girls!

~~~SMK~~~

Lee wandered around the lobby of the famed Waldorf Astoria hotel, killing time as he waited for Amanda to join him. She'd dashed up to her room to phone her family, before they enjoyed a romantic night on the town.

They'd finally wrapped up a difficult, weeklong ASSIGNMENT and he planned an evening of romance, starting with dinner in the hotel's restaurant, followed by dancing in the celebrated Rainbow Room. He wandered over to the entrance of the bistro and peered inside.

A nice crowd of people occupied most of the tables in the elegant dinning room. Wood paneling, and strategically placed plants gave each table a feeling of isolation, creating an intimate atmosphere. The tinkling of crystal and the ping of flatware against fine-china echoed a sweet counterpoint to the soft jazz spilling out of hidden speakers, enhancing the room's romantic ambiance.

He backed away from the restaurant and walked back toward the elevator banks. An enormous Christmas tree proudly stood in the center of the lobby. White lights shimmered and danced off the TINSLE, and instead of ornaments, RED BOWS nestled on each branch. Gold RIBBONS draped from the treetop to the last branch. It looked festive, but he preferred the more traditionally decorated tree, like the one Amanda always had.

The elevator chime pinged, drawing his attention to the corridor just as the doors slid open. A throng of people spilled into the hallway, Amanda among them. She glided down the hall toward him, his very own ANGEL. He couldn't keep the smile from blooming across his face.

She reached his side and kissed him gently. He snaked his arm around her waist, tucking her close to his side. "Everything okay at home?"

She smiled up at him. "Everything is fine. Philip got a `B' for his science project on the human HEART."

"A `B', that's terrific." He squeezed her waist. "So, ready to paint the town red?"

She lowered her head, and shyly looked up at him through her lashes. "Well, would you mind terribly of we do something different? Mother asked me if I had seen any of the holiday decorations. I told her we were too busy working. She said all work and no play. And you know how she can get, and I've always promised myself if I ever had the chance to visit New York during Christmas time that I would walk along Fifth Avenue and see the holiday displays."

It wasn't what he had in mind but if it made Amanda happy, he'd walk all the way back to DC. "I'd love to show you the decorations." He helped her on with her coat and wrapped her SCARF around her neck.
After buttoning his own coat, he held out his arm, she rested her hand in the crook of his elbow, and they walked out of the hotel into the wintry night.

The temperature hovered near freezing and their breaths came out in white puffs, but since there was no wind, it was COLD but not as frigid as the thermostat indicated. The cloudless sky showed off the twinkling stars and jolly, full moon.

While they waited in line for a taxi, a hansom cab pulled up and discharged its passengers. Lee stepped up to the driver and after a bit of haggling, hired him to be their personal tour guide for the evening.

After handing Amanda into the coach, he snuggled next to her and tossed a heavy, plaid blanket over their legs. They headed north along Park Avenue to 59th Street, then turned east onto Lexington Avenue, stopping in front of Bloomingdales. They exited the carriage, and then took their place in line to peer at the windows.

This year the store windows depicted different children's Christmas songs. Frosty the Snowman, complete with corncob pipe, button nose and coal eyes, leading a group of children around town, dominated one window. The familiar voice of Gene Autry singing about the frolicking snowman played in the background. Of course, Amanda knew the names of all the fictional children and preceded to regal him with the tale of Karen and her pal Frosty.

The next window displayed a family's living room. An easy chair and ottoman sat next to a fireplace. The family dog snoozed on a braided rug in front of the hearth. Santa stood next to a towering pine tree, his hands laden with gifts while `mom' planted a KISS on his cheek. A towhead boy of about five sat on the staircase peering at the couple through the spindles of the handrail. Burl Ives' rich baritone filled the air with the classic `I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus'.

His chest tightened and he vaguely remembered tiptoeing down the stairs to see Santa in his living room. He'd raced back up to the stairs and dove into his bed tossing the covers over his head pretending to be asleep, lest Father Christmas not leave any presents for him. Now, he knew that his dad had played Santa for him. Maybe, one day, he'd have a chance to dress as Santa for his child.

After a few minutes, Amanda tugged on his arm, and they left the magical world behind. Settling once again in the coach, they rode west on 59th Street until they reached the intersection on 5th Avenue.

After paying the driver the fair, Lee gave him a healthy tip and dismissed him for the evening. Amanda wanted to walk, and he wanted to be alone with her when she saw what anchored the holiday displays.

After removing her glove and stuffing it in his pocket, he slid his glove off and shoved it in the same pocket. He loved to feel her soft skin next to his. Hand in hand, they walked two blocks south. Right before they turned the corner, he halted her. "Close your eyes."

"Lee?" She giggled.

"Trust me. Close your eyes."

She smiled at him and then lowered her eyelids. Carefully, he steered her around the corner of 57th Street onto 5th Avenue. He turned to face her so he could see her face. "Okay, you can open your eyes now."

Her lashes raised and she looked at him puzzled. Then her eyes brightened and a radiant smile bloomed across her face.

"Oh my gosh," she whispered. "It's absolutely beautiful."

Still looking at her sparkling eyes he agreed, "You sure are."

"Leeee, I meant the SNOWFLAKE."

"That's pretty, too. You know that's the UNICEF snowflake. It symbolizes a beacon of hope, peace and compassion for vulnerable children around the world. Sixteen thousand Baccarat crystal prisms form the shape. Come on, there's a lot more to see."

They continued to walk down the street. Amanda looked over her shoulder every few feet. Steeling one more look at the crystal chandelier.

Block after block they walked stopping to see the exquisite jewelry displayed in Tiffany's and the art-deco tree in the lobby of Trump Towers, and the antiques displayed by Bergdorf Goodman.

He bought a bag of warm chestnuts from a street vendor and they ate them while they traveled down 5th Avenue. He loved the smooth, creamy flesh of the nut and had to remember to buy another bag. He really enjoyed eating them with a glass of BRANDY.

Before he knew it, they'd walked all the way to St. Patrick's Cathedral. Angelic voices of the choir drifted out to the sidewalk whenever someone opened one of the massive church doors. The marble steps were slick and he gripped the handrail tightly while they ascended the steps into the church.

Reverently, they walked up and down the aisles admiring the stained-glass windows and sculptures of saints along the pews. Amanda knelt at the altar railing in front of the Nativity and bowed her head in silent prayer. He took this moment to thank God for the presence of Amanda in his life.

After leaving the church, Lee steered her toward Rockefeller Center. She gasped when she spotted the street full of angels, heralding in the holidays, framing the gigantic Christmas tree. Excitement danced in her eyes and she practically skipped down the street for a closer look.

The crowd was enormous, and he was afraid the throng would separate them. He laced his fingers with Amanda's, and then tugged her arm closer to his chest, hanging on to her tightly. Wading through the masses, they finally reached the railing surrounding the skating rink two-levels below the street.

The ICE held about fifty people of varying skill level. One young girl executed a perfect scratch-spin while the couple next to her laughed and slid along the slick surface, falling repeatedly. A small boy hugged the railing as he shuffled his feet along.

They watched the antic for a few moments before squeezing back through the throng. A street-vendor halted their progress and asked them if they would like to have their picture taken in front of the tree.
The photographer posed them so the tree was over Lee's left shoulder.

They snuggled close, Amanda wrapping her arms around his waits.

The flash exploded.

After Lee blinked a few times to clear away the spots, he handed the vendor the ten-dollar fee in exchange for the Polaroid photo. Their image blossomed on the small square.

"Wow, this came out great."

"Oh, Lee, our first Christmas photo," Amanda sighed.

The crowd surged, knocking into Amanda. He tightened his grip, steadying her before slipping the photo into his jacket pocket. "I guess we'd better keep moving."

Once they passed Radio City Music Hall, the crowd thinned out. They continued down 5th Avenue until they reached 44th Street. They turned left and walked west to where 7th Avenue and Broadway met.

People poured out of the numerous theatres packing the streets of Times Square, a sea of humanity ebbing and flowing in every direction. Walking was difficult. He tugged Amanda onto a side street and under a green awning. The sign proclaimed `John's Pizzeria--the very best pizza in New York City and beyond.'

"What do you say, wanna try a slice while we wait for the crowd to thin out a bit?"

"Sounds like a good idea, Lee."

The hostess ushered them to a table under the rotunda. A breath taking, stained glassed dome. The restaurant, housed in an old church, still held some of the original décor, hardwood floors and murals on the walls. Two, brick ovens stood on either side, warming the restaurant as well as cooking the pizzas. A second level seating area was set up in what was once the choir loft.

They enjoyed a glass of EGGNOG while they waited for the waiter to bring the pizza. A crispy, thin-crusted confection with fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce sat on a high tray. They dug into it with gusto. Before he knew it, they'd sat at the table for two hours and consumed the entire pie.

After turning down dessert, Lee paid the check, and then they headed back out into the winter night. Times Square was still packed, but now it was organized chaos instead of the pell-mell confusion of earlier.

Hand in hand, they walked along the lighted streets, marveling at the theater marquises. Amanda stopped dead in her tracks when she spotted the flagpole where the giant ball descends to ring out the old year and ring in the new. "It looks so different in person then it does on the television. This year, when we watch the ball drop, I'll remember standing right here with you."

"I'll remember the look in your eyes for the rest of my life." He kissed her. Hooting and whistling from passing pedestrians intruded on the moment and he stepped away, breaking the kiss. "Come on, let's get moving. There is still one more place I want to show you."

"Where are we going?"

"Macy's, of course. No holiday window viewing is complete without seeing Macy's display."

They cut along Broadway down to 34th Street. An ocean of people pooled outside of the world-famous department store. He and Amanda took their place at the end of the queue and inched their way to the windows. They finally reached the 6th Avenue windows. Each display was a self-contained world of traditional holiday scenes featuring the same person.

The first scene showed an adorable little girl of about four clutching a TEDDY BEAR in one hand and hanging her Christmas STOCKING with the other. Next, the girl was a little older and this time she was kissing her beau under the MISTLETOE. Finally, the third window displayed the same pair as a married couple with a family. The wife sat in a chair, reading `A Christmas Carol' and showing a picture of SCROOGE to a small child on her lap. The husband sat on the floor and helped his son UNWRAP a present.

The line flowed around the corner on to 34th Street. Here, scenes from the famous movie 'Miracle on 34th Street' decorated the windows. Lee never watched the movie, so he had no idea what the scenes represented. A man stood in his living room smoking a pipe, a mother and daughter looking out a window at Santa in his sleigh and a newsboy hawking the latest edition of the Herald Tribune, made up the three window displays.

They walked back along 6th Avenue looking for a cab. "I really enjoyed looking at all the decorations. I'm glad you suggested it."

"I had fun, too. Which one was your favorite?"

"I don't think I could pick just one. I loved them all, except for the last one. The display was festive, but I never saw the movie so I had no frame of reference."

"You've never watch Miracle on 34th Street?"
He could hear the shock in her voice. "No."

"We'll have to fix that. Mother and the boys and I watch it every year. It's a great movie. You see, Kris Kringle is indignant to find that the person assigned to play Santa in the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is intoxicated. When he complains to event director and she persuades Kris to take his place. He does such a fine job that he is hired to be the Santa for Macy's flagship New York City store on 34th Street."

A cab pulled up to the curb and they settled inside. All the while Amanda continued to tell him about the plot of the movie.

"Kris tells one shopper to go to another store for a fire engine for her son that Macy's doesn't have. She is so impressed she tells the head of the toy department, that she will become a loyal customer. Kris later informs another mother that archrival Gimbels has better skates for her daughter.

Of course, Kris believes he is the real Santa Claus and eventually Macy's fires him thinking he's crazy. I won't tell you any more, you'll just have to watch it for yourself."

By this time they'd arrived back at the hotel. Lee paid the fare, and then escorted Amanda inside the building. "Would you like to go to the bar for a nightcap?"

Amanda pondered the question for a bit. "There is one other thing I promised myself I'd do here in New York."

"Oh yeah, what's that?"

"This." She stood on tiptoes, bit his chin and tugged him to the elevator.

End.

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/usa_41883.html

http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmassights/l/bl_xmaswindows.htm

http://manhattan.about.com/od/newyorkcityholidayguide/ig/2006-Rockefeller-Center-Tree/Rockefeller-Center-Tree.--bK.htm

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm
Cold Hands, Warm Heart - Charlie by Friday Challenge
Title: Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Author: Charlie
Disclaimers – all the usual
Timeline – after Season 4

Huddled together in front of the crackling fire, Lee stared down at his wife through half closed eyes. Her face was almost hidden from view but he could just make out her lashes fanned against her cheeks and her lips were slightly parted as she slept. Resting his chin on top of her head, he inhaled the unique combination of scents that defined Amanda and tightened his arms around her slight body. She was curled up in a ball; her nose buried his chest while his arms and legs encircled her in a bear hug.

The night was cold and he was attempting to keep her as warm as possible. A chest cough had developed earlier in the day and while she hadn't said anything, Lee was worried that she was becoming increasingly ill. It was the third night that they'd had to camp out and the wintery conditions were making the experience anything but pleasant.

Lee smiled grimly as he contemplated what he would do to Francine when they finally got back to civilization. `A week of skiing and relaxing by a fire', was how she had described their current assignment. Well, they had gone skiing and there was a fire but the relaxing part was definitely missing.

Their contact had been jumpy, leaving a myriad of cryptic messages that took forever to decode. Then the man arranged some of the most outlandish meeting spots Lee had ever imagined, only to continuously back out when the mystery man deemed them unsafe. Who in their right mind set up a meeting for the `third pine tree from the left of the last cabin, just past the outhouse at two in the morning? Come in your bathrobe so it looks like you're using the facilities.' It was winter for heaven's sake and ten degrees below zero. No one in their right mind went to the bathroom in those conditions! The idiot had obviously read too many cheap spy novels.

Once they'd finally gotten the information from the man, all hell had broken loose with the Bulgarian's chasing them down the slopes and only an advantageous avalanche saving their skins. However, now they had to hike back to civilization and the deep snow was making the going tough. They weren't covering much ground each day and their supplies were extremely limited.

Lee gave Amanda another squeeze as he recalled scoffing at her insistence that they take a full kit with them when they set out that fated morning. They finally had the microchip and he'd erroneously thought the hard part was over. A morning spent cross country skiing, followed by an afternoon of lovemaking in front of the fire had been foremost in his mind, not planning for contingencies that would never happen. Unfortunately, Amanda had been right; what shouldn't have happened did happen. The day was a disaster with the `bad guys' showing up while they were at the farthest point on the ski trail. It had literally been all downhill from there.

A log shifted in the fire, sending a flurry of sparks into the cold night air. Lee could see his breath coming out in little puffs and he contemplated the state of his fingers and toes. Shifting carefully so as to not disturb Amanda, he stretched out his legs so that his feet were closer to the fire, then released his grip on his wife so he could remove his gloves. Tucking them carefully at his side, he extended his arms, a contented sigh escaping his lips as he relished the heat that crept up his frozen fingers.

"Lee?" Amanda's sleepy voice whispered his name and he glanced down at her. The dancing flames were reflected in her chocolate brown eyes and he smiled at her while brushing his now warm fingers across her cheek.

"Hmm?" He answered distractedly, too busy examining her features. Gently he traced the arch of her brows and the slant of her nose. God, she was lovely.

"Shouldn't it be my turn to keep watch? You haven't had any sleep yet."

He shrugged. "Nah—I'm not tired."

She shifted in his arms and leaned back, looking at him straight on. "The shadows under your eyes tell me differently. I really think—." A fit of coughing interrupted what she was saying and Lee rubbed her back, his jaw tightening in worry and frustration. He hated being in situations like this. Amanda needed to be someplace warm with medical attention and instead they were stuck in the god-forsaken wilderness. It made him feel helpless and he despised that feeling.

When she was done coughing, she wiped the tears from her face and sniffled, staring at the fire. Gently he took her chin, and turned her to face him. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah. I'm good."

Lee gave her a considering look but then let it go. There was nothing he could do about it anyway, so making her confess how bad she felt wouldn't prove anything. "Do you want something to eat?" His mind inventoried their dwindling food rations. "We have a palate watering selection of trail-mix, beef jerky, and saltines. And the wine tonight is a vintage snow melt, heated to room temperature in a tin cup and aged at least five minutes."

Amanda giggled at his attempted levity. "I think I'll pass." She stared at the fire and relaxed back against his chest, absentmindedly playing with his fingers before finally speaking again. "Do you think we'll reach civilization tomorrow?"

"Sure, probably by mid-day we'll be in a nice warm motel room and I'll be on the phone ranting at Francine to send someone to pick us up." He really didn't know that for a fact but figured the positive statement was what she needed to hear.

Twisting in his arms, she looked up. "You're lying, but thanks for trying to make me feel better."

Chuckling, he dropped a quick kiss on the end of her nose. She always knew.

"Is that the best you can do, Stetson or has the cold affected your aim?" A teasing light appeared in her eyes. He quirked a brow and then tilted her chin so that he could reach her mouth, placing a slow warm kiss on her lips. With a sigh, they separated. "Better, but..." Amanda twisted around so that she was facing Lee, her legs straddling his hips. She yanked her gloves off and then pulled the zipper of his parka down a bit so she could work her fingers inside to touch his neck.

"Hey!" Lee jumped. "Your hands are cold."

Amanda continued to tease his skin with gentle strokes while she leaned in for another kiss. "Cold hands, warm heart." She whispered against his mouth before nibbling on his lower lip. Lee moaned in appreciation and pulled her closer, one hand cradling the back of her head while the other moved up and down her back, seeking access to her skin. After a few moments, they pulled back, breathing heavily.

"You're hands are warmer now," Lee muttered as he trailed his lips across her cheek. "But these ski suits aren't conducive to continuing this particular means of creating body heat."

"Mmm... I know. Too cold to take anything off, but at least this kept our minds off our predicament for awhile." She gave him another quick peck, then caressed his jaw, murmuring about the three days growth of stubble that was there.

"Is that what you were doing? Distracting me?" He rested his forehead on hers, and stared into her eyes.

"Yeah. You looked worried, so I offered a distraction. Did it work?"

He gave her a crooked smile, a dimple appearing on his cheek. "Yeah, it worked."

"Good." She worked her way around so she was facing the fire again and once more Lee rested his chin on top of her head, marvelling at how lucky he was to have her in his life. Amanda was tougher than she looked. Most women would have been whining and crying over the cold; but not his Amanda. Instead she just `sucked up' the fact that she was freezing and sick and hungry. Instead of complaining, she was trying to make him feel better... Well, the kisses probably made her feel better too, but that was beside the point. She put others ahead of herself and that was a rare thing in this world of `Me First.'

The sound of her breathing grew steady and he knew she was asleep again. Good, rest was what she needed right now. Rest and a warm place to stay. Maybe he hadn't been lying and tomorrow would find them in a town full of warm buildings, modern conveniences, and real food.

Lee stared at the fire. The FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC, a warm circle of light in an otherwise dark night. Tall snow encrusted pines surrounded them casting interesting shadows across the blanket of snow. Individual crystals twinkled like diamonds while the occasional snowflake slowly drifted down, only to disappear and lose its identity in the white drifts that covered the landscape.

His eyes were growing heavy but he forced himself to stay awake. Someone had to ensure that the fire kept burning. It was keeping them from freezing to death and with any luck someone might notice the smoke come morning. If not, well, they'd keep walking.

At some point in time he must have drifted off, for he woke with a start, his heart pounding. The fire... Relief flooded him as he noted that it was still burning and Amanda was crouched in front of it, melting some snow in a tin cup. Stretching, Lee groaned; his muscles protesting the awkward position he'd been sitting in.

"Amanda, you should have woke me." He cleared his throat and rubbed his hand over his face.

"You needed your rest." She smiled at him while offering a cup of warm water. He took a sip and thought longingly of coffee. Even instant would do. Three days without a caffeine fix; who'd have thought the Scarecrow could survive it?

The sun was just rising and Lee scanned the horizon looking for signs of life. A few rabbit tracks could be seen near the base of the evergreens but they didn't have time to try and trap anything, besides which he doubted Amanda would let him kill `Thumper.' She was a strange blend of personalities: loving and practical, intuitive and efficient, a ruthless operative when needed yet still charmingly naive and tender hearted.

Lee stood and headed for the trees to do what was needed, then ate some trail mix for breakfast before packing up their meagre supplies. Taking Amanda's hand in his, they headed east, each falling into the trance like rhythm that had carried them through the previous days' treks. If you didn't think about the cold, or how tired your legs were, it was better.

How long they'd been walking, Lee was unsure though he absentmindedly noticed that the sun hadn't reached its zenith yet. His mind had been occupied with Amanda's cough and the sound of her struggled breathing. He'd shortened his stride and slowed his pace in order not to tax her strength too much yet worried that their measured pace would mean another night spent out of doors. With their dwindling rations they wouldn't have the fuel needed to maintain their body temperatures in the increasingly cold weather.

As they stood resting for a few minutes, Lee eyed the grey clouds that hung heavy in the sky and speculated that there'd be more snow before nightfall. The fresh powder would make travelling even more difficult than it already was. He tightened his jaw, determined to not give in to the gnawing fear that was burning in his belly. Surreptitiously, he checked Amanda for signs of a fever. Her face was slightly flushed and her eyes were a bit glassy. Casually he pressed a kiss to her forehead, frowning as he felt the warm skin beneath his lips. Giving her a tight smile, he indicated that they should continue their journey.

The world around him blurred as they plodded onward, One step followed another, the only sound the crunching of snow and laboured breathing. Staring unseeing at the ground before him, Lee prayed they'd make it...Sometime later, Amanda's excited voice broke into his thoughts.

"Lee! Listen!" He blinked, then looked at her questioningly. "Don't you hear it? It's coming from over there." She pointed towards a stand of trees to their right.

He strained his ears and then finally caught the sound that she'd heard. Snowmobiles. A broad grin broke out on his face as the bright yellow machines came up over the ridge and burst through the trees. Laughing and crying at the same time, Amanda began to jump up and down, waving her arms and calling out.

Lee stood still with a crooked smile on his face, watching rescue finally appear. As the machines came to a stop just a few yards away, he cast his eyes skyward and whispered "Thank you."

*****

"You were right you know," Amanda sat beside him with her head on his chest.

"I was?" He raised his eye brows and looked down at her.

"Uh-huh. You said we'd be in a warm motel room by mid-day and you were right."

"Yeah, I was, wasn't I?" He grinned. "I've even already called Francine and ranted at her, so technically we're ahead of schedule."

"Mmm... So what should we do with our spare time?"

"Well, the doctor said you should rest so those antibiotics have a chance to work."

"I suppose..." Amanda's voice trailed off then suddenly Lee yelped.

"A-man-da! Your hands are like ice." He pulled the offending appendages away from his chest. Her nimble fingers had undone the buttons of his flannel shirt and were attempting to stroke his bare skin.

She pulled her hands free and moved to straddle his lean hips. As she set herself down in his lap, she gave a suggestive little wiggle. "Remember the old saying: cold hands—"

"—Warm heart." He finished for her, with a smile. "I guess if I can have your heart, I'll put up with cold hands any day." Lee placed a kiss on her lips.

"You're sure?" Amanda teased as she gave another wiggle. "Because, otherwise, I'll just take my cold hands off to bed, all by myself."

"Mmm... I'm sure." Said Lee as he cupped her rear end and stood up. Amanda gave a squeal and wrapped her arms around his neck to keep from falling. "But how about we both go to bed? Maybe between the two of us, we can find a way to warm those hands up."

"I'm sure you'll think of something, Stetson."

He wiggled his eye brows at her. "I'm sure I will too."
Chapter 7 - Charlie by Friday Challenge
This is an excerpt from my new story called "The Mating." I rewrote a paragraph to make it fit the December challenge. The main characters are Kane and Elise who are involved in an arranged marriage/mating (werewolves, you know.) Kane is fine with the idea but, at this point in the story, Elise isn't so sure and still feels a bit uncomfortable around him, though desires him physically. Some extraneous characters are mentioned in the first paragraph but don't worry about them. When I finally post the whole story you'll figure out who they are. Oh! And it hasn't been beta'd yet, so forgive any boo-boos! Also feel free to make any suggestions, if something jumps out at you, even though it's only a tiny piece.

Despite what this excerpt might lead you to believe, it isn't all smut. There's actually a plot, a villian and a mystery!

The Mating (excerpt from Ch 15)

After dinner, they lit a bonfire for roasting marshmallows. Everyone gathered round, couples naturally drifting together and lounging where ever the mood took them. In the flickering light, Elise scanned the assembled group. Carrie was sitting between John's legs with her back resting against his chest. John's arms were wrapped around her swollen body, gently caressing her belly and the child within. Zoe was snuggled up to her husband and giggling at whatever he was whispering in her ear while Phoebe just sat beside her mate, contentedly hold his hand.

When everyone had first sat down, Kane had pulled Elise to his side, wrapping his arm around her waist. Now his hand was lazily tracing patterns on her thigh and she felt little frissons of awareness shooting through her body. It was decidedly unsettling, how just his touch could affect her and she wasn't sure she liked him having such power over her. Surreptitiously, Elise observed him, noting that he seemed to be mesmerized by the dancing flames and totally unaware of what his hand was doing.

Her eyes traced his features, taking in his straight nose and strong jaw. A strand of dark hair fell across his forehead and she had to clench her fists to keep from reaching up and brushing it back into place. Forcing herself to look away, she stared at the fire. The FLAMES DANCED IN THE DARKNESS CREATING A WORLD OF MAGIC. Shadows flickered across the ground and waves of heat shimmered the air. The occasional log would shift, sending sparks into the night sky.

The other couples could barely be seen now as darkness descended. Encased in their own little pool of light, it was as if she and Kane were alone in the night. His scent drifted around her, invading her senses and clouding her mind. She felt herself leaning towards him, seeking more of his warmth and touch. With a start she pulled herself back and looked a means of distraction.

Reaching for a marshmallow and stabbing it onto a stick, she nonchalantly worked herself away from him. The slight distance made her feel better, more in control, and she breathed a sigh of relief. Concentrating on toasting her marshmallow to perfection, she withdrew it at just the right moment—the skin a warm toasted brown with the promise of a sweet, melted interior. Her mouth watered in anticipation and she sat back, blowing gently to cool the treat in preparation for consuming it. Just when it was ready, a large hand reached around and pulled the stick from her hand.

Indignant, she turned in time to see her marshmallow disappearing into Kane's mouth.

"Hey! I toasted that!"

Kane grinned at her. "I know, and I thank you for preparing it just the way I like it."

Elise opened her mouth to protest but Kane swooped forward and covered her mouth with his. She could taste traces of the sweet confection on his lips and hummed in appreciation. Slowly, they withdrew and Elise found herself staring into Kane's face, his amber eyes seeming to search hers for the answer to some unspoken question. Something tugged within her, as if she was being pulled into him and she struggled to read his enigmatic expression, wondering if he too felt that sense of connectedness.

Whatever Kane was looking for, he must have found it, for he smiled and then lifted her up so she was cradled between his knees, her ass firmly in contact with him. He pulled her back so that she was leaning against his chest, similar to Carrie and John. Reaching around her, he put another marshmallow on a stick and prepared it, while his chin rested on her shoulder. At first, Elise felt a bit self-conscious, but soon realized that no one was paying them any attention. Slowly, she relaxed within the warm circle of his arms and Kane, obviously sensing the change in her, growled his approval.

Over the next half hour, they fed each other marshmallows, each one accompanied by a kiss, to clean the sticky sweet off their lips. Elise felt her breathing growing increasingly ragged and Kane wrapped an arm around her waist then gently rocked his hips against her. A heavy, aching, warmth was growing within her and she pushed back against Kane in response. He muttered something indecipherable, and then threw the marshmallow sticks into the fire.

In one swift motion, he scooped her up into his arms and stood. "We're turning in now." He announced to the others, striding towards the house.

Embarrassed, Elise hid her face in his shoulder. "Kane! What will they think?" She whispered against his neck.

"That we're newly bonded and I can't keep my hands off of my lovely mate." And sure enough, the good natured calls that accompanied them across the yard, left her in no doubt that the others were thinking exactly that.

*****

Upstairs, Kane placed her gently on the bed and then stood over her, slowly removing his shirt. He hadn't turned on the lights, but the illumination from the moon was streaming in, playing over the skin that he was revealing to her. If she hadn't already been aroused from their kisses by the fire, the sight of her mate's body would certainly have done the trick. Elise drank in the sight of his powerful arms and chest, his taunt stomach, the scar running down his side...She couldn't imagine how much such a wound would have hurt and was filled with the need to comfort him, even though the pain was long gone.

Rising to her knees, she reached out and traced the faint pink line with her finger tips. At her touch, Kane's hands stilled on the waistband of his pants and she looked up at him. His eyes were hooded and burning with desire. Daringly, she brushed his hands away and undid his button and zipper so that his pants hung loosely on his hips. Then she leaned forwards and ran her lips along the length of the scar from his ribs to where it disappeared underneath his clothing. Nudging the material aside, she worked her way down to the end of the scar, which was just below his hipbone, then slid around to his stomach and teased his navel with her tongue. Kane shuddered and grabbed her shoulders, pulling her up and kissing her hot and hard. With one hand on the back of her head, his other slid up her shirt, caressing her skin, and then unclasping her bra.

Elise pulled away, gasping for breath and Kane took the opportunity to shuck his pants and briefs before reaching for the edge of her T-shirt and tugging it over her head. Pushing her back on the bed, he made quick work of removing her pants and underwear, then crawled over top of her and resumed their kiss. His tongue battled with hers, his teeth nipping at her lips while his hands tweaked her nipples and stroked her belly. Gently raking her nails over his scalp, Elise moaned in approval when he moved lower and suckled at her breast. Each tug of his mouth was met with a corresponding one inside of her and she guided his head from one breast to the other, closing her eyes to concentrate on sensation alone.

A whimper escaped her lips when he left off his ministrations to move lower but was soon replaced by sighs of delight as his mouth and fingers touched her body. Knowing the exquisite feelings he could create, she willingly spread her legs, allowing him access to her most intimate parts.

Kane nuzzled the juncture of her thigh, inhaling her scent and nipping at her tender flesh. A rumble of approval rose from deep in his chest as he sensed her arousal. His finger teased her clit with feather like passes until she was writhing on the bed desperate for a firmer touch. When he finally conceded, she was sure would come right then and there, but he wasn't ready to allow her release yet.

Withdrawing, Kane moved up her body, lapping at her navel and running his hands over her waist and down her butt cheeks, massaging her flesh while her breathing slowed. Just as the world began to right itself, he went down on her again, sucking her clit and licking up her juices. She knew she was being unbelievably wanton, but despite the fact, she watched him pleasure her and found that it was one of the most erotic things she had ever seen. Firm fingers pushed into her channel and soon, she was climbing the heights again, tension coiling inside of her until her body reached its peak and she shuddered as the orgasm washed over her, leaving her breathless.

"That," she panted, "was great."

"Worth leaving the marshmallows and the bonfire for?" He teased as he slid up to lay beside her. Gently, he brushed her damp hair from her forehead, and then ran calming hands over her body.

"Oh, yeah." Her heart was still pounding and she was having difficulty getting her words out between her rapid breaths. "But you didn't...?"

"Not yet." He moved his hips slightly and Elise felt his hot erection pressing against her hip. "But never fear, that was only round one."

She rolled her head to the side and stared at him in surprise. "You mean I get to do that again?"

"Uh-huh, that's my plan." He nuzzled her ear and then sucked her lobe into his mouth. A shiver ran through her. "Unless, of course, you didn't enjoy yourself..." Kane's voice trailed off and he looked at her quizzically.

"Oh, I think I can force myself to suffer through it one more time, just for you. After all, it wouldn't be fair to leave you in such an uncomfortable state." She teased him back and he smiled at her in delighted surprise. Leaning over her, he began the task of arousing her once again.
This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=727