The Goodbye by JanG
A series of drabbles that form a story.  This started as a response to a challenge then took on a life of its own.  A drabble is exactly 100 words without title or author's notes.

Original characters, original fiction.  Not connected to any fandom.

Categories: Original Stories Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Mature themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 1592 Read: 148217 Published: 30/01/09 Updated: 10/02/09
Dreaded Anticipation by JanG

Dreaded Anticipation

Weeks have gone by since I pressed a lock of my hair into his palm, yet it seems like a year. Each hour feels like a day and a day stretches into a week.

I didn’t go to work this morning. Something told me to stay home. I sat near the phone, waiting for it to ring. Dreading it. No call came.

The doorbell rang instead.

Through the frosted glass, I saw an olive green uniform. Certain they were there to tell me he was dead, my hand shook as I opened the door, my gaze fixed on the ground.

This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=578