Word Challenge: Red, Backpack, Cheeks, Spacestation, Socks by Friday Challenge
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 2975 Read: 19477 Published: 25/11/08 Updated: 25/11/08
Story Notes:
Instructions:

1. You must use all the words in your story.

2. You can use the words in any order, and even more than once - but you MUST use them all AT LEAST ONCE.

3. Each word must be CAPITALIZED, in order to make sure they stand out.

4. Each word must be used EXACTLY as noted in the challenge. Please no changing tenses, adding prefixes or suffixes, or pluralizations.

1. Chapter 1- Kathy by Friday Challenge

2. Chapter 2 - Sue by Friday Challenge

3. Chapter 3 - Sue by Friday Challenge

4. The Best Present of All - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

5. Bicycle - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

Chapter 1- Kathy by Friday Challenge
*****

"Now what are we looking for?" Lee pushed his hair back, trying to keep the
disgust out of his voice. He was tired, he was hungry and he didn't want to
be where he was--namely Amanda King's attic. He had come over earlier that
morning to pick her up because once again her car was on the blink (what was
it with those damn station wagons anyway?) and Billy had some files for her
to sort. Why Amanda had to do it was beyond him. It seemed like any girl
from the secretarial pool could do it, but Billy had insisted. So Lee had
pulled up in front of the house on Maplewood Drive, honked his horn and
waited. After 10 minutes, he had gotten out of the Corvette and made his
way to the back of the house. Amanda has assured him she was the only one
home, but he hated taking chances.

He had found her in the backyard surrounded by camping gear and muttering
something about a BACKPACK. She had greeted him with a nervous laugh and a
"are you here already?"

'Yes, I'm here already." he heard the agitation in this voice and he tried
to stop it, but he couldn't. She drove him crazy! Why Billy continued to
use her for assignments was beyond him. But he did have to admit he would
miss her, sort of, she wasn't around anymore. "Are you ready to go?"

"No, I'm not ready to go." she answered back, pointing to her jeans and
Georgetown sweatshirt. "Do I look like I'm ready to go. I figured I had some
time because you are usually late."

"I am not." he protested. "I can't afford to be late. It can mean the
difference between life and death."

"True." she nodded, "but you still are usually late."

"Not."

"Yes,"

"No,"

"Yes, you are."

"Amanda!" he could feel his blood pressure rising but also could feel that
something else was indeed rising. When had fighting with Amanda King become
such a turn on? When had Amanda King become a turn on? He really needed to
think about something else.

"What are you looking for?" he finally asked. "Maybe I can help."

"Jaime's fuzzy SOCKS. " she said in a quiet voice. "He wore them on a
camping trip last month and he hasn't seen them since."

"And he needs them because?"

"Because they are his fuzzy socks." she shook her head like Lee was the
biggest dunce on the planet. "They are his favorites."

"But why are we looking for them now?"

"Because he's going camping this weekend with the Millers and he will need
them."

"Because they keep his feet warm?"

"No, because they are his favorite."

"Well, can't you look for them when you get back?"

"No, no really."

"If you knew you were going to need them why didn't you look for them
earlier this morning, before Billy called?"

"Because I didn't know that they were lost this morning, nor did I know that
Mr. Melrose was going to call. Now would you just help me look?"

He wasn't sure how long they looked before they found the offending ugly
green things. "These are his favorite?" he had held them up by the toes,
like they were contaminated.

"Yes. " Amanda had grabbed them away, putting them in her jeans pocket.
"Surely you remember what it was like to have a favorite something when you
were little. It usually was, something no one else understood."

And then they had had to carry all the camping equipment back up to the
attic and tidy the back yard. Then just as he was actually getting Amanda
to go up and change and take her into the Agency, she started her "oh my
gosh." mantra and finally got out of her that they had also taken up all of
the things Jaime was going to need for this weekend back up to the attic.
"We have to go and get them."

And so for the last hour, they had once more been going through boxes and
what not, looking for the boys canteen and first aid kit and what not.
"Since you just dumped stuff and didn't put it in the box that was marked
for that thing. " she had grumbled.

"We need the map." she told him in answer to his question. "The water proof
map of Northern Virginia Water ways and then we will be done."

"Because we can't go camping without it." Lee fussed but started once more
to look in boxes. They worked side by side for a moment and he couldn't help
but notice that even with disheveled hair, dust on her nose and tired eyes,
she was still, well yeah, beautiful.

"It was my RED helmet." he finally said.

"What was?"

"My favorite thing. I had this old ugly helmet that my Dad had picked up
somewhere. The paint was chipped and it had rust around the edges and I
remember the next door neighbor. telling my mother, I'd put an eye out with
it. But I loved it. When I put it on and went outside to play where I
was became a super SPACESTATION and was the first man on Mars, or the moon
or wherever I wanted to go that day. No one else understood it but me. It
was my favorite thing."

"Oh Lee. Amanda said very softly, turning she he wouldn't ' see her tears.
"That was very nice."

'Yeah will not expect it to happen again."

'I won't."

"Hey here's the map!"

"Thank you."

Yes, she was very pretty.
Chapter 2 - Sue by Friday Challenge
Jamie slept peacefully in his playpen surrounded by his toys, and for a little while, she'd be able to give her undivided attention to Philip.

Amanda lifted the drapes aside and peeked out the window. She watched as her son stepped off the school bus and raced down the block toward home. Her heart clutched a bit as she thought how fast he grew from baby, to toddler,
to little boy. Soon, she'd loose him to girls, college, and a life of his own making. But for now, he was still her little boy.

Philip barged in the front door, slamming it closed behind him. He dumped his BACKPACK on the step and ran straight into her waiting arms. The cold, winter wind turned his CHEEKS RED. She nuzzled her cheeks against his,
wrapped her arms around him, and kissed him hello.

She picked him up and carried him into the kitchen depositing him on the counter. He sat still as a statue while she worked off his snow boots. He giggled when she tickled his foot after pulling each boot off. Philip
loved to tromp through the piles of snow, no doubt, his SOCKS would be wet, too. She tugged them off and warmed first one foot then the other in her hands. She couldn't resist playing one game of this little piggy when to market. Philip squealed when she reached his baby toe and wiggled it saying, "Wee, wee, wee, all the way home."

Setting him on his feet again, he climbed onto a kitchen chair and munched on the cookies she'd left out for his after school snack. She sat next to him and shared his snack asking him about his day in school.

Philip's eye lit up like Christmas Trees as he told her the teacher helped them to write a letter to Santa Claus. He jumped out of his chair and sped back to the steps.

Tearing open the backpack, he retrieved his Astronaut folder and ran back to the kitchen. "See Mom," he proudly handed her his paper. "I asked Santa to bring me that giant SPACESTATION I saw on television."

"It's a beautiful letter, sweetheart. I bet Santa will try his very best to bring it to you. But, maybe Santa may think of a better present for you."

"Yeah, maybe. But this is what I really want."

She hoped Joe's child support check arrived in time or else Philip would be very disappointed on Christmas morning.

End
Chapter 3 - Sue by Friday Challenge
The private transport slid smoothly into the docking bay. John lifted his
hands from the ship’s controls and left the docking to the experts in C & C.

The familiar jolt and thud of the locking mechanisms told him he could
disembark the vessel. He hit the release for the safety harness, stretched and
scrubbed his hands down his face.

The whiskers on his CHEEKS attested to the long, arduous journey back home.
As much as he loved space travel, it still felt good to be back on solid
ground or as solid as a SPACESTATION can be.

All he wanted to do now was complete the ritual of washing his own SOCKS,
take a hot shower, shave and hold Delenn in his arms, not necessarily in that
order.

He slung his BACKPACK over his shoulder, picked up the gift he'd bought for
his fiancé and headed off the transport.

Choruses of “Welcome back, Captain” greeted him as he walked through the
Zocolo. He spotted a botanical shop and stepped inside. A large bouquet of RED
roses captured his attention. They were the real deal and not the synthetic
variety.

He scooped them up, slid his identacard into the vendor slot and continued
on his way.

He'd just entered his quarters when the babcom unit beeped. He groaned and
debated for two seconds not answering the communication, but he was the
Captain and it may be important.

“Play.”

“Hello, John.” His heart tripped and emotion lodged in his throat. The
beautiful face of Delenn filled the screen. “Welcome, home.”

End.
The Best Present of All - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
*usual disclaimers apply-takes place right after Not Fooling Anybody
and alluded to in What Lies Beneath--hope you enjoy*

The Best Present of All

December 25, 1994

What was he doing here?

Lee stood in the toy aisle of the store, his eyes scanning the
shelves. He wasn't really sure what he was looking for—but once he
found it he would know.

"But Mom, I said I wanted the SPACESTATION,"

The kid looked to be about Jenna's age, Lee reasoned—maybe a little
older. He was wearing a RED BACKPACK, arms crossed in stubborn
defiance as he faced his mother. "You said I could have anything I
want."

His mother sighed. "I know what I said, honey, but the Spacestation
is too expensive. Can't you pick another toy?"

The boy shook his head. "Don't want another toy."

"Well then you can go home and play with the toys you've already got
for Christmas."

"But that's not fair—you said I could have one more toy."

Lee tuned the voices out, shaking his head bemusedly and running one
hand through his hair.

What was he doing here? Amanda had sent him to pick up some gravy for
the turkey—nothing else—and yet he couldn't shake the feeling that
there was something—

That was when he saw it.

It was lying on the bottom shelf, neglected, dusty and almost
completely covered by pairs of red and green SOCKS. Lee picked it up
and carefully brushed it off. The scarecrow's stuffed face smiled up
at him and Lee found himself smiling back.

"Merry Christmas, buddy," he said softly. "I'm taking you home."

Lee noticed the little kid staring at him, shaking his head in disgust.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Philip, I don't care what you say, Detroit's going to win." Jamie
sat on the sofa, his eyes glued to the game on the set.

"Well it doesn't look like they're winning now, does it wormbrain?
Miami's going to take them from behind—just you wait. Hey Lee."

"Philip, don't call your brother a wormbrain." Amanda came into the
family room, turkey baster in hand.

"Sorry Mom," Philip said. "But I'm telling you—this is Miami's game."

"In your dreams, maybe." Jamie said. "Detroit rules. Want to watch the
game, Lee?"

"Yeah sure—in a minute," Lee said.

"You were taking so long that Mother and I were beginning to worry,"
Amanda told him. "The turkey's just about ready to serve. You got the
right kind, didn't you? The kind that you just pour out of the jar?"

"Sure," Lee said—part of him wondering what his wife was talking
about. "Where's Jenna? She was down here when I left."

Amanda's face clouded. "Well her legs were still hurting her so I gave
her some more Tylenol and hot compresses and put her to bed. If she's
still feeling like this in the morning we should take her to the
doctor."

"Yeah, I agree." Lee's heart sank as he looked at the presents under
the tree—the presents that Jenna had unwrapped but was still too sick
to enjoy just yet. The weight of the bag he held in his hand reminded
him of what he'd brought home. "Amanda –ahh—I'll be right back down,
okay? There's just something I have to do."

Without waiting for an answer he went upstairs.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Jenna was sleeping as Lee entered her bedroom. Her CHEEKS were still
flushed, blond hair damp against her too-warm skin.

"Hey there," Lee took the stuffed scarecrow from the plastic bag and
put it beside Jenna. "I got you this for you—hope he'll make you feel
better." Jenna didn't open her eyes, but she did put one arm around
the stuffed scarecrow, holding him close.

Bending down, Lee kissed his daughter's forehead.

"Merry Christmas, munchkin."

Turning around, Lee saw his wife in the doorway, watching him.

"You're a wonderful father, Mr. Stetson," she said.

"Thanks," Lee said.

"But you did, forget the gravy—didn't you?"

The End
Bicycle - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
*The usual disclaimers apply, don't own them, wish I did--hope you
enjoy:)*

Bicycle

December 30, 1994

"Amanda, I really don't think I can do this."

"You can do this," Amanda insisted. "My Daddy taught me when I was
five and you can teach Jenna."

"How?" Lee said. "I mean, what do I know about bike riding? What if
she falls because I don't know what I'm doing?"

"Falling is a part of learning."

"Part of learning? Jenna could get hurt."

"That's why she has a helmet. She'll be just fine, Lee—and so will you."

"I don't know," Lee said. "You know maybe we should've gotten that
SPACESTATION after all—a bike's too dangerous for someone her age."

"Plenty of five year olds ride bikes. And besides, she didn't want
the Spacestation—you know that."

"Mommy?" Jenna's voice floated downstairs. "I can't find my pink shoes!"

"You have other shoes, sweetheart." Amanda called back.

"I know," Jenna said. "But I'm wearing my pink SOCKS today and I want
to match."

"Well did you look under your bed?" Amanda asked.

A few moments of silence—then a reply came. "Thank you."

"Are you sure Jenna's even up to this?" Lee asked. "Just a few days
ago she had leg cramps so bad she could hardly walk."

Amanda sighed. "That was the flu—and she's over that."

"Are you sure?" Lee asked again. "Her CHEEKS looked awfully flushed
to me this morning."

"Her cheeks were flushed because she was running around the house
playing hide and seek with you, remember?"

Lee ran a hand through his hair, took in a deep breath and blew it
out. "Well, yeah I know that—it's just—"

"Jenna's been stuck inside for days recovering," Amanda said. "Getting
out of the house will do her a lot of good."

"I found it, Amanda." Dotty came downstairs, holding the camcorder
aloft. "It's all charged and ready to go."

Lee looked at his wife. "You're kidding, right? We're going to record
this?"

"The first bike ride is a milestone, Lee." Dotty said. "You have to
put these things on tape—we have Philip and Jamie's first bike ride on
one of those 8 millimeter home movies somewhere—one of these days I'll
dig it out and have it transferred to video. Just let me find a blank
tape and we'll be set."

"Thank you, Mother," Amanda said. Dotty disappeared into the family
room.

Lee looked at his wife. "Did Joe—"

Amanda shook her head, looking down and away from him as she spoke.
"Afraid not—when the boys were little Joe was hardly ever around. I
mean, there were Christmas presents and the occasional phone call on
their birthdays—but none of that can really make up for time not
spent. I had to do most of those things myself."

"Well hey," Lee put a finger under her chin, lifting Amanda's gaze
toward his. "You don't have to do that anymore. I am here to teach
Jenna—and like you said, we'll both be fine."

Amanda smiled. "I love you, Mr. Stetson." Their lips softly met in a
kiss.

"I'm ready," Jenna called out as she walked down the stairs. "But I
can't figure out how to put the helmet on."

"I'll get that, sweetheart." Breaking the kiss, Amanda knelt beside
her daughter, fitting the pink and RED helmet onto Jenna's head and
fastening the straps securely.

"Why are you wearing your BACKPACK?" Lee asked Jenna.

"It's for him," Jenna held up her Scarecrow doll. "Mr. Scarecrow's
going to ride on my bike too."

Lee raised his eyebrows. "Mr. Scarecrow?"

"That's what she's been calling him," Amanda said.

"Can you put him in my backpack?" Jenna handed the doll to Lee. "Make
sure he can't fall out."

"Sure, munchkin, just turn around." Lee stuck the doll in so that
only the head was sticking out—pulling the zippers up as far as they
would go.

"Is he in there okay, Daddy?" Jenna asked.

"Yep," Lee patted the backpack. "He's good."

"I found a tape," Dotty said. "Let's go."

"Ready?" Amanda asked.

Lee nodded and smiled.

The End
This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=535