Word Challenge: nightgown, gooey, spooky, fair, cards by Friday Challenge
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 3123 Read: 69159 Published: 14/09/08 Updated: 14/09/08
Story Notes:
The Challenge: This week we're asking you to write a story, which will include the words: NIGHTGOWN, GOOEY, SPOOKY, FAIR, CARDS

1. You must use all the words in your story.

2. You can use the words in any order, and even more than once - But you MUST use them all AT LEAST ONCE.

3. Each word must be CAPITALIZED, in order to make sure they stand out.

4. Each word must be used EXACTLY as noted in the challenge. Please no changing tenses, adding prefixes or suffixes, or pluralizations.

5. Your submission can be of any length, from line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else as long as it has a link to either SMK or B5.

1. It's All in the Planning - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

2. Chapter 2 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge

3. Chapter 3 - Monica by Friday Challenge

4. Chapter 4 - Sue by Friday Challenge

5. Chapter 5 - Anne by Friday Challenge

6. Chapter 6 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge

7. Chapter 7 - Monica by Friday Challenge

8. Chapter 8 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge

9. Wicked - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

10. Chapter 10 - Sue by Friday Challenge

It's All in the Planning - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
It's all In the Planning

4247 Maplewood Dr

Saturday, October 27th 1996

7:30 AM

"Amanda, I can't do this," Lee paced back and forth across the
kitchen, the cordless resting against his shoulder. There's just no
way."

"You can do this." Even over the phone Amanda's voice held a faint
note of amusement. "It's really not that difficult."

"Not that difficult? We are talking about 35 second graders here—why
couldn't Billy have postponed this training course until after?"

"Lee, they're not going to postpone a training course because I have a
classroom party to organize," Amanda said. "I'll be back Monday
night—you'll be just fine."

"That's what you think," Lee muttered. From the family room Lee could
hear the faint sounds of the `Scooby-Doo' theme. Peeking around the
corner he could see Jenna in her NIGHTGOWN, eating cereal as she sat
cross-legged in front of the television, her eyes fastened to the screen.

"You can do this," Amanda repeated. "I've already made all of the
cupcakes and they're in those two Ziploc containers on top of the
fridge. The stuff to decorate them with is in the pantry and Jenna can
help you with that. The cookie dough is in the fridge—all you have to
do is slice them and bake them in the oven."

"Is that it?" Lee said.

"Not quite," Amanda said. "There are also the Place CARDS and you have
to make the slime."

"The slime?" Lee's voice rose slightly. "Did you just say slime,
Amanda? I have to make slime?"

"The recipe's on the fridge—I bought the ingredients last week,"
Amanda said. "Jenna can help you with that too. Trust me, you'll have
fun together."

"Fun," Lee muttered, running one hand through his hair. Fun would've
been able to kick back and watch a Redskins game. But now—

"Speaking of Jenna, you're not letting her eat breakfast in the
family room, are you?" Amanda said. "Last time she spilled orange
juice all over the rug and it took forever to get it out."

"Family room?" Lee thought fast. "No of course not—she's eating
breakfast in the kitchen just like she's supposed to be." As if on
cue the sound of Jenna's laughter filled the house.

"Really," Amanda's tone was skeptical. "If she's in the kitchen what
is she laughing at?"

"A really funny comic strip in the paper?"

"Lee!"

"Everything's fine," Lee said. "I've got it all under control, trust
me. Have a good training class—I love you."

"Love you too, Mr. Stetson," Amanda said.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

3:35 PM

"There," Jenna said. "That's the last cupcake." She held it up for
Lee's inspection. "Does it look okay?"

"Well," Lee began, "there's certainly—um—there's an awful lot of icing
on them, munchkin."

"But kids like a lot of icing, Dad," Jenna said. "See? I put chocolate
and orange icing and every one has a candy pumpkin on it. The last
time I went to a Halloween party they didn't have pumpkins on every
cupcake and I didn't think it was FAIR. I mean, everyone wants a
pumpkin, right?"

Whatever else Jenna had inherited, Lee thought with a smile, she'd
definitely inherited her mother's gift of gab. "Right," he said,
ruffling her hair. "Everyone wants a pumpkin."

"I think we have all the place cards written now," Jenna said. "We can
put bat stickers on them too—that'd be cool."

"Very cool," Lee agreed. From the family room he could hear the faint
sounds of the Redskins game—he was very tempted to go in there and
take a little peek at the score—see if they were still beating
Indianapolis.

"The only thing left is to make the slime," Jenna said.

"Right," Lee said. "Ah—do we have everything we need?"

"We've got glue, borax, water, a bowl and a spoon," Jenna read aloud
from the index card where Amanda had written the recipe. "Shouldn't
we use food coloring?"

"What for?"

"Colored slime would look neat," Jenna said. "We could make it green
or orange—maybe we could even make it black—that would be kind of
SPOOKY."

"Jenna we are not making black slime," Lee said. His daughter
looked at him. "But I do see your point—do we have any food coloring?"

Jenna nodded. "It's in the cabinet by the oven-Mom keeps it for when
we make play-doh."

"I'll get it," Lee said. He looked in the cabinet. Just like Jenna
had said, there was a box of food coloring. Lee took it down and came
back to the kitchen table. Jenna had already emptied the glue and the
water into the bowl and she was stirring it.

"If we mixed yellow and blue together," Jenna said. "That would make
GOOEY green slime—just like on Nickelodeon."

"Right," Lee said. "Blue and green, here we go." He squeezed a few
drops of each into the bowl.

"Now we need to add more water and borax," Jenna read from the card.
Lee looked at the pitcher of water and box of 20 Mule Team Borax.

"Here," he told her as he took the bowl. "Let me do that part, okay?"

"Okay," Jenna said. "But I get to mix it after, right?"

"Right," Lee said.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

7:30 PM

"Lee you can't blame yourself," Amanda said. "You didn't know what
would happen."

"No I guess not," Lee sat on the couch, holding the cordless to his
ear. "The food coloring was her idea—then she wanted to mix it and
play with it—I didn't think about what might happen."

"It's hardly the worst thing," Amanda said. "The only shirt Jenna
messed up was a play shirt—at least it wasn't a school shirt."

"Well the shirt wasn't the only thing, Amanda" Lee said. Jenna came
into the family room in her long nightgown and robe, holding her
Scarecrow doll, her blond hair still damp from her recent shower. Lee
raised his eyebrows questioningly at her and Jenna shook her head,
displaying her still bright-green hands and arms.

Amanda laughed. "Well that'll wash off in a few days," she said. "How
did the Redskins do?"

"Pretty well—they beat Indianapolis 31 to 16."

"So the day wasn't a total loss then," Amanda said.

Jenna grabbed one of her books from the nearby shelf and walked over
to Lee, who patted the space on the sofa next to him. His daughter
snuggled next to him and he took the book.

"No, actually it was a very good day," Lee kissed the top of Jenna's
head.

"I'm glad to hear it," Amanda said. "Give Jenna my love, okay?"

"I love you, Mom," Jenna called out as she flipped the pages to the
part she wanted Lee to read.

"Love you too sweetheart," Amanda said. "Good night, Lee—I love you."

"I love you too, Mrs. Stetson." Lee hung up the phone.

"Okay, Munchkin," he said. "Where were we?"

"We stopped right here," Jenna pointed to the place with a green
finger. Lee began to read:

"When the Scarecrow found his friends again he was so happy that he
hugged them all, even the Lion and Toto—"

The End
Chapter 2 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge
Her NIGHTGOWN billowed around her legs as she walked through the
SPOOKY grounds of the FAIR. Owls hooted in the trees. Something
drew her here. She woken out of sound sleep knowing someone was in
jeopardy. It was like someone calling to her. A sound came from one
of the darkened tents. Silently, she padded towards it. Her hand
shook as she began to raise the flap. Moonlight streamed inside the
tent illuminating a large chained box in the corner. The pounding
sound came from inside the box. The chains rattled.

"Mother."

Dotty's heart leapt into her throat and her hands squished into the
GOOEY chocolate chip cookie dough.

"You scared me."

"I'm sorry. I wanted to know if you were playing CARDS tonight."

"Yes. I'm making the cookies now."

"What are you watching?"

"It's one of those horror movies. The vampire is waiting for the
damsel to find him locked in his coffin and set him free."

"And sink his teeth into her." Amanda sat down at the kitchen
island. "That doesn't look like a coffin."

"I know. He was locked in there by one of the bad guys who want him
to go into a blood lust and kill everyone. Look she's about to
unchain the coffin."

"She better run?" Amanda began to watch the movie.

"Oh no. When she lifts the lid she'll find her true love inside.
He'll bite her, but only take enough to combat the blood lust."

"You've seen this movie before."

"It's one of my favorites. In the end she decides she wants to spend
eternity with him and he turns her. He's really not an evil man. He
just happens to be a vampire and wants to find the woman of his
dreams."

Amanda laughed as she pinched a bit of cookie dough to eat. "Only
you could find romance in a vampire story."

"Well it was this or a dinosaur movie repeat and I can't abide
watching one of those movies again. Besides the man playing the
vampire is a sexy hunk. An eleven in my book."

End
Chapter 3 - Monica by Friday Challenge
If anyone would approached the tree house in the backyard of the house
on Maplewood Drive 4247, would have heard two young voices whispering:

"Ok Jamie let's check what we have first and then what we need more."

"Right Phillip, so:

NIGHTGOWN?"

"Check, I took from the laundry one of mom's."

"What are we going to do about the GOOEY, that will go on Tommy's
head. What color do you think we should do it?"

"I don't know, maybe shine purple. Can you imagine Tommy all purple?
He will be soooo pissed off."

"Yes, but he shouldn't scare Maggie with that SPOOKY and bloody mask
last week. That wasn't FAIR! Girls are sensible, and like Lee said we
should treat them nice."

"You are right Jamie, I can't forget easy her frighten eyes!"

"Yes, that....and the way she jumped right into your arms,
for...protection."

Phillip's cheeks took a very bright shade of red.

"Oh shut up wormbrain! Let's go on, we have to choose the right
evening to do it."

"I think, tomorrow will be the best time, grandma is playing CARDS
with her Garden Club friends, and mom will go out with Lee."

"What for tomorrow will be the best with all of the adults out of
house?"

Lee's deep, husky voice made the boys jump out of their skin. Both
were so focused on their plan, and don't even heard the vette's engine
nor the door slamming or the cheery voice of their mom, and froze on
spot.

"Well, boys not both at the same time, take a turn" said Lee with a
smile on his voice. He knew the feeling, not few times his uncle
caught him and his friends doing something they shouldn't do.

Phillip and Jamie seeing the smile in his eyes, fell one over the
other trying to explain what their plan was, and Lee got caught in it
and neither heard Amanda calling till her voice got impatient and
right under the tree:

"Lee, boys where are you?"

Three head appeared above her:

"Sorry mom!"

"Sorry honey we just got entangled in the web of a very important
mission."

Seeing the playful twinkle in her husband eyes and the joy in those
of her sons Amanda calm right away.

"Ok, I won't interfere with your "special mission" but the dinner will
be ready soon so wrap it fast."

" OK!"
Chapter 4 - Sue by Friday Challenge
The headlights of the car pulling into the driveway cast SPOOKY
shadows along the living room walls.

Amanda put down the Christmas CARDS she was writing and slipped her
bathrobe on over her flannel NIGHTGOWN, tying the sash as best she
could over her very pregnant figure.

She opened the door just in time to see Lee nestle their sleeping
daughter against his shoulder. "Hi. How was the Christmas FAIR?"

"Surprisingly, it was really fun. Of course, your daughter had to
taste every sticky, GOOEY, chocolaty treat they had. It's a wonder
she isn't sick to her stomach."

"Come on, let's put her to bed. Then I'll reward you for your heroic
deeds." She winked and led the way upstairs.

End.
Chapter 5 - Anne by Friday Challenge
SMK SMK SMK SMK

Feeling the plane level out at cruising altitude, Lee Stetson folded
up his large frame. He tried to recline in his seat, hoping to get
somewhat comfortable for the long flight back to D.C. and maybe if he
was lucky he'd catch a few hours of sleep.

Lee leaned his head back thinking about the events of the past few
days. Amanda had been on a simple courier assignment in Germany. All
she had to do was deliver an envelope. He chuckled thinking of what
unfolded instead. Only she could get herself arrested for passing
counterfeit twenties. Never in recorded history had that happened
before.

He shook his head, wondering how a simple housewife had gotten under
his skin. It was downright SPOOKY how one fateful October morning
his life was changed by a woman wearing a NIGHTGOWN. Amanda confused
him, yet intrigued him too. She was like salt water taffy—the more he
pushed and pulled—the bigger sticky-GOOEY mess she became. Yet she
was loyal and faithful to him. He thought about them walking down the
streets in Tegernsee. She'd showed more concern for his career and
reputation then her plight. Telling him `it's just not fair.'

"Hey, whoever promised you FAIR?" he'd asked her.

"Nobody. I just keep expecting it," she'd mumbled.

Yes, that was his Amanda, always looking for the sliver lining. She
really was something. And once again she proved to be invaluable and
helped break-up the counterfeiting ring, fingering Harry.

Lee ran his hand through his hair and took a deep breath. Shaking his
head again he thought maybe one day he would figure her out, but for
now he had other plans and if he played his CARDS right next weekend
he would be in the Pocono’s.
Chapter 6 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge
Francine hesitated at the entrance of the tent.

"Come on, it'll be fun. It's always fun to have a fortune teller read
the CARDS for you at the county FAIR. I promise it won't be SPOOKY or
weird." Amanda bit the GOOEY caramel apple.

"So says the woman who met a spy at the railroad station wearing a
NIGHTGOWN."

"That wasn't weird. It was practical. And I wore a coat over it. Now
come on, don't you want to know if you have a true love waiting in your
future?"

"Only if he's very rich. Or a prince. Preferably king."
Chapter 7 - Monica by Friday Challenge
If anyone would have asked Lee why he went to such extend, just to
spend an evening with his partner, he would have shrugged. He didn't
have an answer.

While waiting in the car for all the lights in Amanda's house to be
turned off, he eyed with a critic eye the GOOEY brown concoction,
adorned with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. He knew Amanda
loved chocolate mouse, he knows hers was better, but this was the best
he could find. Of course he knew she would be FAIR and will thank him
for the hard work of finding it.

At last all the lights were off, and Lee left the car, put all the
stuff he brought on the gazebo table, made a fast entrance by the
back door, took the steps by two at once and quiet like a cat open the
door to Amanda's bedroom.

She wasn't sleeping yet and about to scream before the recognition:

"Lee, what are you doing here at this hour. If you need help I'm
sorry, I feel tired and sore after all the tracking in the woods we did
today."

"Amanda I know, all I want is for you to come with me in the gazebo."

"Lee, it is late, I'm wearing my NIGHTGOWN, I'm in bed under the
covers and ready to sleep!"

"Please Amanda, just a couple of minutes and I promise to bring you
back to bed."
She couldn't resist his dimpled smile and gave in:

"Ok, wait me outside."

Stepping in the backyard, Amanda barely saw Lee's frame in the shadows:

"It is SPOOKY here Lee, I can't see my hands and......"

Her words died on her lips ; on the gazebo table was a huge bowl of
chocolate mouse, one of fresh strawberries, a bottle of champagne and
two flutes.
"Lee, what's that? I don't understand!"

"That Amanda, is my way to show you how much I appreciate your help in
our last case"

Her smile and the gentle kiss she placed on his cheek made Lee
understand he had played his CARDS very well.

They spend almost all the night outside, talking about all kind of
stuff: her boys, her mother, his trips and old assignments both of them
being content just to be together
Chapter 8 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge
Achoo.

It just wasn't FAIR. They'd sent her home a few days ago for a
little cold. Didn't want others to be infected they'd said.

Her nightstand held several get well CARDS. It amazed her how many
people cared.

She rose from her sickbed and padded to the bathroom in her
NIGHTGOWN. The reflection she saw in the mirror was down right
SPOOKY.

Maybe she felt better. One of the GOOEY chocolate brownies that
Amanda had dropped off beckoned to her.

Prudence Marston took a bite of the delicious confection.

Recovery might not be far away.

Then she sneezed again.
Wicked - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
Wicked

"Are you sure this costume will be okay?" Jenna asked.

"Of course I'm sure," Dotty said. "You'll be perfect."

"This isn't a witches' dress—it's a black NIGHTGOWN."

"It's going to look wonderful, Jenna," Dotty said. "Besides, you
already have a hat."

"That's true," Jenna said. "It's not FAIR that I have to put this
GOOEY makeup on."

"Don't you want your face to be she same color as your hands and arms?"

"I guess," Jenna sighed. "Will I look SPOOKY enough ?"

Dotty patted Jenna's arm. "You'll look spooky enough. It's in the
CARDS."

Jenna frowned. "What cards?"
Chapter 10 - Sue by Friday Challenge
She changed into her NIGHTGOWN. She had a good time at the FAIR even
though the haunted house was SPOOKY and that stupid Bobby Johnson
stuck GOOEY cotton candy in her hair.

Before she climbed into bed, she gathered the thank you CARDS her
mother made her write for her classmates who gave her gifts for her
birthday. Amanda tucked them in her school bag, and dashed down the
stairs to kiss her mom and dad goodnight.

end
This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=517