“Next time we do it my way.” by Friday Challenge
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 6237 Read: 123460 Published: 13/07/08 Updated: 13/07/08
Story Notes:
Instructions:

1. You must use the above line in your story
2. You can use the line more than once - But you MUST use it at LEAST ONCE
3. The line must be used EXACTLY as noted in the challenge. Please no changing tenses, adding prefixes or suffixes, or pluralizations.
4. The line must be CAPITALIZED, in order to make it stand out
5. Your submission can be of any length, from line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else as long as it has a link to either SMK or B5.

1. Walls Come Tumbling Down - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

2. They Danced - Anne by Friday Challenge

3. Honey-do List - Sue by Friday Challenge

4. Chapter 4 - Monica by Friday Challenge

5. Revealed - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

6. Honored Wishes - Lynda by Friday Challenge

7. Not Fooling Anybody - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

8. Chapter 8 - Stephy by Friday Challenge

9. Ouch - Sue by Friday Challenge

10. Chapter 10 - Patti by Friday Challenge

Walls Come Tumbling Down - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
*Standard disclaimers apply-don't own them, just write about them for fun. Hope you enjoy this story-let me know what you think*
Monday August 12, 2002

4247 Maplewood Drive

1:30 AM

"Can't sleep?" Amanda asked as she came downstairs into the family room. Lee was sitting on the couch, going through a photo album.

"No, I guess not," Lee said with a sigh. Amanda curled beside him on the couch.

"Me either," she said. Lee put one arm around her, pulling her close.

"I was just looking at these baby pictures of Jenna," he said. "I swear the first week that we brought her home from the hospital we must've gone through about three rolls of film. We have pictures of her sleeping, having a bath, pictures of everyone holding her-look even Beaman's in a photo." The expression on Lee's face was wistful. "Things were so simple back then."

"I know," Amanda said. "The older they get the more complicated it is."

"Speaking of complicated, how is Jenna?"

"Sleeping last time I checked," Amanda said. "Before that I don't know-she wasn't exactly talkative."

"That's an understatement," Lee said. "I think she's said maybe two words to us since Saturday night. And she still hasn't told us where she went when she snuck out."

"Well why should she when we haven't exactly been forthcoming with her?"

"That's different and you know it," Lee said. "Amanda the sneaking out-this could involve her safety. I still want to know where she went and who she saw."

"But why haven't we told her about us?" Amanda said. "It's not like we haven't had opportunities."

"I know," Lee said.

"We started to tell her that one time after she was shot."

"Yeah but then there was the bone infection-all those tests-" Lee rubbed his hand over his face. "And then after all that Dr. Pfaff thought we should just wait awhile-and I guess we just kept on waiting."

"-and putting it off." Amanda said. "Afraid of the risk, her reaction- Let's face it, we're chicken."

"All right then, let's do this," Lee said. "Tomorrow evening after dinner we'll sit Jenna down and tell her the whole truth."

"Right," Amanda said.

"This time nothing is going to stop us," Lee said. "No interruptions-nothing."

They looked at each other for a moment.

"We'll pencil it in," they said in unison.

9:30 AM

Of all the mornings for this to happen, she thought. Amanda held the basket brimming with dirty clothes and stared in dismay at the semi-flooded utility room. Just then the phone rang. Amanda put the basket on the countertop and went to answer it.

"Hello Lee," she said.

"Amanda can you get down to the office right away?" Lee said. "We might have a lead on the location of those stolen chemicals."

"It might take a while," Amanda said. "The washing machine's backed up and the utility room is flooded."

"Flooded?" Lee said. "How flooded are we talking about here?"

"Oh it's not bad, just a thin layer of water," Amanda said. "The thing is that I'm going to have to take the rest of the clothes to a Laundromat."

"Is it vital?"

"Well if you want to have towels to shower with tonight I think so. It'll only take me an hour."

"Okay," Lee said. "Well meet me here when you get through with that. What are you going to do about Jenna?"

"Not sure," Amanda said. "Mother called me earlier-she has a salon appointment and then she's meeting a friend for lunch. Don't worry, I'll think of something."

"See you in an hour," Lee said. "I love you."

"Love you too," Amanda said.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Jenna?" Amanda knocked on her daughter's closed door. "Sweetheart?"

"Come in," Jenna called out. Amanda opened the door. Jenna was curled up on her bed, clutching a pillow to her chest. Her eyes were red-rimmed and slightly puffy-a sign that she'd been crying recently. Amanda sat down on the bed.

"That was your father on the phone," she said. "There's a little emergency at work so I need to go into the office-"

"Mom it's okay," Jenna said. "Really. I'm not going to run off or anything-it's not like I have anywhere to run to."

"Oh sweetheart," Amanda said, smoothing Jenna's hair.

"What's the emergency at work?" Jenna asked.

"Well it's kind of complicated."

Jenna sighed. "I guess I didn't really expect an answer- just thought I'd ask."

"Is there anything you'd like to tell me?"

"It's not about not liking too," Jenna said, looking at Amanda and then looking away again. "I just-I don't think that I can."

Amanda kissed the top of Jenna's head. "Jenna there isn't anything you can't tell me-whatever it is I can handle it."

"Not this," Jenna said. She looked on the verge of tears again. Amanda decided to let the matter drop for now.

"Jenna we'll talk about this later." she said. "I'm going to the Laundromat before work-the washing machine's backed up again." Amanda eyed the pile on the floor. "Are these your clothes? You know you do have a hamper."

"I know I do," Jenna said. "I just keep forgetting about it. Is the utility room under water again?"

"Sort of," Amanda said, picking up Jenna's clothes. "It's not too bad-just stay out of there and I'll call the plumber later on. Take care, sweetheart-I love you."

"Love you too," Jenna said.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"It's just strange, Mother." Amanda used her shoulder to hold the cell phone to her ear as she sorted through the clothes in the basket, laying them out on the table. "I think she wants to tell us, but she's afraid."

"I bet she'll tell you when she's ready," Dotty said. "She's like you, Amanda-and you could never keep a secret very long."

"I don't know about that," Amanda said. "I think she's more like Lee in that respect-I just wish I knew how to break through to her."

"Something's definitely bothering her," Dotty said. "She was over here Saturday asking me about gangsters and the mafia-she even asked me how I would know if someone was a gangster."

"Gangsters?" Amanda repeated the word. As she picked up a pair of Jenna's jeans a notebook fell out. Must be one of her school notebooks, she thought, idly leafing through it-must have picked it up by accident. Most of it was empty except for the first few pages, which were covered in Jenna's distinctive purple-pen script.

"Well we were watching some ridiculous TV movie," Dotty said. "That's probably where Jenna got the idea-the thing was she seemed to be so serious about it. Then when I asked her what was wrong she told me some story about a friend of hers whose parents were doing some strange things."

"Hmmm?" Amanda said as she started to read the notebook. Her mother continued to talk but she tuned her out. As Amanda turned past the first page and looked at the second, it suddenly felt as though it was very hard to breathe. The world seemed to spin for a moment and she clutched the notebook so hard her fingers grew numb.

"Oh my gosh," she whispered.

"Amanda are you listening to me?" Dotty said.

"Mother I've got to let you go," Amanda said, hurriedly stuffing the clothes back into the basket. "Something just came up- I have to call Lee right way. Talk to you later."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"She did what?"

"She followed you, Lee." Amanda sped down Glebe Road towards Maplewood. She never usually used her cell phone when driving, but this was an exception. Her heart was pounding loudly in her ears and the hand that gripped the steering wheel was trembling.

Please let me get there in time, she prayed silently.

"And she saw Augie give me the plans," Lee said. "No wonder she's been so-poor kid, what she must have thought-"

"Believe me, she thought the worst," Amanda said.

"I can imagine. Amanda, if she was watching me and Franco Necci was watching Augie, then he might have seen her too. That means she might be a target."

"I know," Amanda said. "That's why I'm going back there right now. We have to bring her inside-it's not safe."

"I'm right behind you."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Lee hung up the phone as he got into the Corvette and gunned the engine, tires screeching as he drove out of the parking lot. He was praying the same silent prayer that Amanda was-that he wouldn't be too late.

If anything happens to Jenna, he thought, it will be all my fault.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Jenna was lying on the couch downstairs, trying to focus on some old game show about newlyweds. One of the wives seemed to hate her husbands' answers-it seemed like he couldn't do anything right.

"NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY," the woman told her husband after they lost the third round. Her husband's face was red as a cherry and Jenna felt sorry for him.

Suddenly she heard a thumping noise, coming from upstairs. That thump was followed by a slightly louder thump-it sounded like something was being knocked over-the house almost seemed to shake.

"Oscar is that you?" Jenna called out to her cat as she went up the stairway. She thought that he'd been sleeping, but maybe he'd woken up and decided to play. Last time his play had broken a vase that had belonged to Grandma. Mom hadn't been at all happy about that.

"Did you break something else, little kitty?" She said. The thump came again-it was her bedroom. Jenna got a sinking feeling, wondering if Oscar had broken the unicorn statue. She'd made it for summer camp three years ago-the only time that her artwork had ever turned out right.

"Oscar just please calm-" Suddenly a thick hand wrapped around her shoulders and grabbed her from behind. Jenna screamed, struggling violently but it did no good. She was pulled backwards and lifted off the ground like a rag doll.

"Ready to play, little girl?" a voice murmured into her ear.
They Danced - Anne by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Standard disclaimers apply. I don't own them; don't make money off if them.

A Matt and Jennie drabble.
They danced. His arms wrapped tightly around her, their hearts in perfect sync. They continued dancing even after the song ended. Looking into her eyes, he gently cupped her face, lightly kissing her lips.

He loved her and had even considered proposing, but would that have been fair to her? He knew he was going back stateside and then maybe onto Japan or the south Pacific. Wherever he would be it would be far away from her, with only love and memories to comfort him. “If fate ever brings us together,” he thought, “NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY.”
Honey-do List - Sue by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The standard disclaimer applies. The story is mine boo-boos and all.
Lee stood on the ladder and stretched as far as he could, and still couldn't reach the corner. He climbed up another step and elongated his body once again. His paintbrush barley touched the far wall. Just a little further and he'd reach it. He extended further, the ladder wiggling under him. Something popped, and he felt a twinge in his lower back.

He dabbed the last bit of wall with the sunny-yellow paint Amanda'd chosen for the nursery and climbed down from his precarious perch. With a hand at the small of his back, he groaned and arched his back. Twisting side to side, hoping to unravel the knots in his spine.

He'd been trying for months to convince Amanda to hire professionals to decorate the baby's room. He even offered to take her to the Crystal Springs Inn. She wouldn't have it. No matter what he said, she wouldn't budge. She had her heart set on decorating the nursery themselves.

Sealing the paint can, he carried it and his supplies down to the garage, and cleaned the equipment before moving on to the next chore--the crib.

He tore open the cardboard and laid out all the pieces on the living room floor, checking them off the parts list on the instructions. He stared at the pile in disbelief. How could one little crib have this many pieces? And twenty-seven pages of directions!

Well, he could do this. After all, he was a highly skilled agent. Trained to defuse missiles with a booster pin and disarm nuclear bombs with a flick of a pocketknife. How complicated could this be? Picking up the directions, he rummaged in Amanda's toolbox for a screwdriver.

Three hours, one broken lamp, and two bloody fingers later, he managed to get one side attached to both the head and footboards. Things would go more smoothly if he had an extra pair of hands or two. But his helpers deserted him for a camping trip with Joe.

He laid the frame on its side and attempted to attach the opposite side. Slowly, he turned the screws, first on one, and then the other until the panel was firmly in place. Then he turned the bed right side up. Something wasn't right. The frame wobbled and one side was crooked.

Frustrated, he ploughed both hands through his hair. He'd just laid the crib back on its side when the front door opened and his wife and mother-in-law entered overloaded with bags.

He kissed his wife, unburdened his women, and carried their purchases into the kitchen.

Amanda poured three tall-glasses of iced tea and he collapsed onto the counter stool and downed the entire contents in one long swallow.

He adjourned back into the living room and his latest do-it-yourself project. He pulled out the screws from the crooked side and the end boards collapsed against each other with a loud clap of thunder.

Dotty ran into the room with Amanda waddling behind her. "Oh my gosh," they said in stereo.

"Lee, let me give you a hand with that." Dotty lifted one of the end boards.

"I've got it, Dotty. Thanks anyway."

"Oh Lee, you can't do it alone," Amanda plopped down onto the couch. "That's why I wanted you to do it last week, when the boys were home."

"Well, they're not here and I promised you the nursery would be done by this weekend." He picked up his tools and attacked the small wooden adversary with renewed gusto. "NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY."

He really did need an extra pair of hands. He swallowed his masculine pride and asked his mother-in-law for some help. They were and effective team, Amanda read the instructions, while he and Dotty took turns holding boards in place and fastening them together.

In less than a hour, the crib proudly sat in the corner of the living room. He had to wait for the boys to come home to help him carry it up stairs.

"Well, ladies, I'd say we did a damn good job and deserve a reward. Let me go shower and change and then I'm taking you both to dinner at Spenser's."

End
Chapter 4 - Monica by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own them and this is only for fun.
"Francine, NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY!"

All the people in the bullpen stop the activity at the raised voice; not at the sound, they were used to hear raised voices but not Amanda King's voice

Suddenly through the glass doors passed the two ladies Francine and Amanda, all covered in tomato sauce and pasta. The white designer suit wear by the blonde agent in the morning was red now and Amanda's blouse and skirt were covered in red and green sauce stains.

Trying hard not to laugh especially after "don't even try buster!" look in Amanda's eyes Lee managed to ask, "Can anyone tell me what's happened?"

"Well you know that we had to take the information about the Italian agents snuck into USA. What you didn't know is the fact that the informant was in the jury of "Best Homemade Pasta Sauce" contest and that just begun.

Francine here, said she didn't have time to wait for some frustrated housewives fighting for a prize in cooking. I tried to tell her something about the pride of winning such a contest for a housewife but did she listen to me? No she didn't!

Unfortunately some of the participants heard her, and in seconds three of them consider better to make us "wear" the sauce instead of taste it. The hell broke there and of course with all those shouting insults the informant took off."

At this point Billy who joined them outside his office turn angry toward Francine:

"Well, Desmond I hope you have an explanation for this behavior, come inside and you Lee take Amanda home to change and then try to find that informant once gain."

"Yes Billy!" said Lee already with Amanda on the way toward the elevator.
Revealed - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Standard disclaimers apply-don't own `em, just write `em. Please let me know what you think *
Amanda's maroon Taurus was already in the driveway as Lee pulled up to the house. The blue van-the same kind that he'd seen last Saturday near Dotty's house-was parked across the street and it appeared to be empty.

They haven't left yet, he thought. That meant there was still time. But where was Amanda?

Lee parked behind the Taurus and got out, holding his gun ready as he approached the house. The door was wide open. He closed and locked it softly behind him as he entered. The TV in the family room was blaring, some kind of game show.

"Maybe you didn't hear me before, Howard," the angry looking woman on TV was saying to a man who looked as though he wished the earth was swallow him whole' "NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY." Lee scanned the room-nothing out of place and no signs of struggle.

From upstairs he heard it- the sound of a thump followed by a muffled cry. Heart pounding, Lee made his way slowly up the staircase and down the hallway.

"-should know better than to try and fight me, little one," a heavily-accented voice was saying. The voice came from Jenna's room. "Maybe you need another lesson, eh?" The door to her room was slightly open-through the crack Lee could see a very large dark-haired man towering over his daughter, who was crouching on the floor, both arms covering her face protectively.

"Please," Jenna said. "No-don't-" she gave a shriek as the man grabbed one of her arms and yanked her roughly upwards, pulling her back against him and holding her in a chokehold.

"Now," the man said, taking a syringe out of his pocket. "Some of this and you won't be any trouble at all." Deciding he'd seen enough, Lee kicked open the door.

"Alright," he said, leveling his gun at the man's head. "Let her go now." But instead of letting go of Jenna the man pulled her closer, tightening his arm against Jenna's neck until she gasped.

"I said let to her go!" Lee cocked his pistol.

"I wouldn't do that, Mr. Stetson," the man said. "You shoot me and I'll crush her windpipe before I hit the ground. I might be dead but so will she." His grip tightened. "Do you really want to take that chance?"

Tears were running slowly down Jenna's face as she looked at Lee-an angry looking red mark covered one side of her face.

"Drop it," the man said

"Daddy?" Jenna whispered. The pain and confusion in her voice tore at him-this was all his fault. Slowly Lee lowered his gun.

"On the floor," the man said. "Kick it away." Lee did as he was told, his eyes never leaving his daughter's face.

"Just let her go," he told the man. "Please. She's no threat to you-she's got nothing to with this."

"On the contrary," Franco Necci came into the room. He was holding Amanda with her arm up behind her back and a gun to her head. "Jenna is the one that we came for, Scarecrow, but it looks like we've got the whole family as a bonus." Shoving Amanda towards Lee, he walked
towards Jenna.

"What happened here?" Franco said, touching the side of Jenna's face, chuckling as she flinched.

"She fought me when I tried to drug her," Rudolpho said. "I had to teach her a lesson."

"Well I don't think the drugs will be necessary anymore," Franco said, smoothing Jenna's hair. Lee swallowed hard. "She's too frightened to cause us any more trouble, aren't you?" Lee felt Amanda's hand slip into his-he knew she was feeling the same thing.

"Get them into the back of the van and tie them up," Franco said. "We don't have any more time to waste."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

The back of the van felt like an oven, the air very hot and close. Ruldolpho pushed them inside. Franco followed his nephew, keeping the gun trained on them. The floor of the van was covered by a dirty mattress and a blanket. They had been planning to take Jenna, Lee thought, drug her and keep her in here; he fought to control his growing rage.

"Sit," Rudolpho said. "Over against the wall. I know it's hot but you won't be in here that long." Lee and Amanda sat, Jenna in between them, and Rudolpho preceded to tie their wrist and ankles.

"Not giving me any fight now, are you, Jenna?" Ruldolpho said as he tied Jenna's ankles, pulling the rope tight with a sudden yank. "Maybe you did learn your lesson." Jenna said nothing. Lee could see that her dark eyes were wide, the pupils slightly dilated and her breathing slightly faster than normal.

"Did you learn your lesson?" Rudolpho asked, leaning closer to Jenna. "Answer me!"

"Enough," Franco said. "We don't have time for this foolishness, nephew. Time to go." The van doors closed, leaving them in semi-darkness-the only light coming from a skylight just overhead.

"Jenna?" Amanda said. "Sweetheart I know how scared you must be, but we will get out of this." Jenna said nothing in reply. Her silence was really starting to frighten Lee.

"Munchkin, please just talk to us," he said. But instead of talking Jenna closed her eyes and began a rhythmic rocking back and forth, whispering to herself.

"My name is Marcie Ann Johnston, My name is Marcie Ann Johnston, My name is Marcie Ann Johnston-"

Dear Lord- a flashback. "Jenna," Lee said, raising his voice over her whispers. Dr Pfaff had taught him this technique after Jenna's kidnapping a year and a half ago and he could only pray that he was doing it right. "Jenna open your eyes. Please open your eyes-open your eyes. Jenna!"

"Can't-" Jenna said. "I'll get hurt again. I don't want to get hurt-"

"You won't get hurt," Lee said. "Your Mom and I are the only ones here right now. You won't get hurt. Just open your eyes and turn your head to the left –look right at me-that's it," he said as Jenna looked at him, her eyes focusing- "Just concentrate on breathing in and out-just like me." He wasn't really sure how long they sat there doing this, but after a while Jenna's breathing began to slow.

"Mom?" Jenna said. "Where's Mom? Is she here?"

"I'm right here, sweetheart." Amanda said. Jenna turned her head, looking at her and then back to Lee again. Her eyes suddenly filled with tears again, spilling down her cheeks.

"It's okay to cry," Lee said. "I'm sorry you got mixed up in this-it never should've happened."

"What am I mixed up in?" Jenna said. "What's going on? That other man called you Scarecrow -Are you gangsters?"

"No munchkin, we aren't gangsters," Lee said "This isn't exactly the way we wanted you to find out the truth-we should've told you long before this."

"Before what?" Jenna said. "I don't understand. You've always told me that you worked for IFF making movies."

"No IFF is just a cover," Amanda said. "What we really do is work for the federal government, gathering intelligence."

"Intelligence?" Jenna repeated the word. "Do you mean that you and dad are spies?"
Honored Wishes - Lynda by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Notes: Answer to challenge line: Next time, we do it my way. I have no idea how close this is to actually answering it, but needed a timeout from my bad day at work. Grammar? Probably awful, particularly at the end. *Sue,* I think I stole your idea and made it B5.

Disclaimer: JMS and WB own the characters. I am not making any profit from this story
John sighed and put the wrench down. "I'm telling you, Delenn, NEXT TIME, WE DO IT MY WAY." He didn't yell at her, but was very emphatic in his tone.

"But, John, Michael said it was to be done this way, and as it is a gift from him, we should honor his wishes."

"Delenn . . . this is too difficult." John looked up at his wife, who stood while he was bent over the project, and gave her his most pleading eyes. She had only entered the room moments before.

She picked up a thin set of flimsies, "John, these instructions have not been touched."

"I know," he sighed, leaning forward to tighten a nut, only to have the wrench slip and jam his index finger. John flung the offending tool away.

Delenn ignored her husband's ill temper. "Why don't I start reading them from the beginning?"

"That's fine, I haven't gotten far, anyway. I'm going to get something cold to drink, first. I tell you, this is ridiculous, though."

John walked down the hall to the family's small kitchenette. That birthday gift from Michael Garibaldi to David was no simple task to assemble. The small scooter wasn't something he should have to put together. He wasn't a handyman, he was President. Still, Michael had sent that damnable video with instructions, reminding John that a boy's first big kid bike (scooter or pedals) should always be put together by his dad and added that David couldn't see it till this was
accomplished. Now, the night before David's birthday, John was still trying to keep the gift a secret and put it together. John sighed and returned to Delenn.

"Do you feel better?"

"Yes, I guess so."

"Instruction 1: Once all parts are laid out, insert Pipetab A into Pipeslot B." Delenn said without emotion. John chuckled, found the parts and obeyed.

- - - b5 - - -

2 hours later ...

Delenn flipped the last flimsy over and read, "You have now completed construction of the Superjets Little Tykes Scooter. Please enjoy."

"Enjoy?" John was exasperated. Looking around he added the last minute touch of a helmet to the left side handlebar.

"I suppose," Delenn said, "You can enjoy the fact that it is completed and our six-year-old will really light up when he sees it."

"I guess so. Thank you for straightening me out, but next time, someone else can put his gifts together. That's why they offer it at the stores."

"Be proud of yourself. You did get it together before he actually turned 6." Delenn said. They admired the scooter together for a while before going to bed.

The End
Not Fooling Anybody - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
*Note: not a continuation of my previous stories this week-that's coming tomorrow. This is just a little thing that came to me.*

*The usual disclaimers apply-Lord only knows why a Christmas story came to me this close to July on one of the hottest days of the year. Let me know what you think.*
December 24 1994

11:00 PM

"Francine, I don't think that getting our informant drunk on eggnog was the best way to get him to talk," Lee said, as he opened his front door.

"It worked, didn't it?" Francine said. "He talked."

"Yeah he talked all right," Lee said, taking off his Santa hat and putting it on the nearby hat rack. "About the weather, about his mother, about his ex-girlfriend-it took him two hours until he told us what we needed to know."

"You're just nitpicking-" Francine said, her blue eyes widening as she saw the plate of chocolate chip cookies on the table near the Christmas tree. "In my opinion, Scarecrow, it was a job well done."

"It could have been well done in about have the time," Lee said. "NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY. And don't touch those cookies-Jenna and Amanda spent all afternoon making those for Santa."

"I notice that you just grabbed a couple."

"I'm entitled, I'm dressed for the part." Lee patted his pillow-enhanced midsection.

Francine sighed. "Well, Santa, in that case I'm going home to eat my own cookies in peace," she said. "Give Amanda my best and tell Jenna I hope she feels better-Christmas is a terrible time to have the flu."

"I'll tell them," Lee said. "Goodnight Francine-Merry Christmas."

"You too," Francine said.

After she was gone Lee sat down in the armchair near the table and ate a few more cookies, eyeing the assortment of presents underneath the tree. Jenna's new bike was carefully hidden behind the tree where she wouldn't see it-thank god he had put it together over a week ago-the
one year that he'd waited until Christmas Eve he'd been up until 2 AM.

Definitely not his old Christmas traditions, he thought. But then again, Lee Stetson was no longer the same person. If someone had told the old Lee Stetson that someday he'd have a wife and a family to spend Christmas with he would've laughed in their face. He yawned-this chair was so comfortable he could easily fall asleep right here-but he needed to get out of this getup and get into bed with his wife. Lee rose from the chair.

"Hello?" a small voice said. Lee saw Jenna at the foot of the stairs, dressed in her favorite pink nightgown. Her blond hair was tousled and her cheeks were the same bright pink as the fabric-a sign that she still was running a temperature. The expression on her face was confused as she stared at him and then Lee realized- dressed like this Jenna didn't recognize him.

"Ho, Ho, Ho –and why are you still up, little girl?" He said, making his voice deeper. "Don't you know that all children should be in bed?"

"I couldn't sleep," Jenna said. "I feel all hot."

"Where's your mommy?" Lee said.

"Asleep by my bed," Jenna said. "She said she was `sausted."

"Do you mean, exhausted?" Lee said. Jenna nodded. "Well how about I give you some more Tylenol and get you a cold cloth for your head so that you can sleep, okay?"

Jenna frowned. "Don't you have more presents to deliver?"

"Ah-" Lee thought fast. "Well my-uh-my sled is superfast and I'm almost done anyway, I have time." Lifting Jenna into his arms he took her upstairs.

"Did you get my letter this year, Santa?" Jenna asked.

"Of course," Lee said. "Now let's see-you wanted a doll, a baton, a pair of skates and-can't quite remember the last thing."

"A bike," Jenna said. "But I don't know if I'll feel like riding it tomorrow."

Lee ruffled her hair. "Well that's okay-it'll still be there when you do feel like riding it."

Amanda was in the armchair by Jenna's bed sound asleep, wrapped up in a fleece throw, her head leaning against the backrest. She did look exhausted, he thought-after he got Jenna to sleep he'd carry Amanda back to their bedroom.

Lee put Jenna in the bed and tucked her in. The bottle of chewable children's Tylenol was on the nightstand-Lee gave Jenna one of those. Jenna made a face while she chewed.

"It tastes gross," she said.

"I know it does," Lee said. "But it'll help you feel better. Just one minute, okay munchkin?" Jenna nodded. Lee went into the bathroom and wet one of the washcloths, wringing it out so it wouldn't drip. Coming back he put it on Jenna's forehead.

"That feels better," Jenna said, covering her mouth as she yawned. "I think I might go to sleep now-can you get my Scarecrow doll?"

"Sure," he said, carefully tucking the doll under her arm. Her eyes slowly closed. "Goodnight, Jenna," he said.

Jenna smiled. “Goodnight, Daddy.”
Chapter 8 - Stephy by Friday Challenge
Amanda, we tried it your way and it just doesn't work. The groceries need to go in just the right spot. We should try and be more organized in the supermarket. You know bag all the can goods together and all the stuff for the pantry in the same bag you'll see, it'll go faster this way. NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY and see if that works better, so grab the stopwatch and we can practice.
Ouch - Sue by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Setting: This takes place in season four. Sometime after Stemwinder, but before Nightcrawler. This is an AU short piece of fluff.

Disclaimer: The story is mine--warts and all. Oh, yeah, the usual legal mumbo-jumbo applies.

Thanks to Monica for allowing me to use her circumstances in this story. A special thanks to Rita and Miss Edna for their wonderful beta job.
+++++

From her perch on the gurney, Amanda watched Lee pace the small confines of the hospital's emergency room, impatiently waiting for the NEST team to arrive. His hair stood on end from the countless times he'd run his fingers through it. Her head pounded, and her hand throbbed in time to his every step. She wished he'd just relax and sit down.

"Lee," she whispered.

"Where the hell are they? They should have been here by now."

Worry marred his handsome face. The tick in his jaw danced a mile a minute, and if he furrowed his brow any harder, his eyebrows would disappear. The sparkling hazel eyes she loved so much now held traces of contrition, along with worry and love. He blamed himself for the little mishap that garnered a trip to the hospital. She dropped the ice bag next to her hip and reached for him. In two strides, he stood next to her and laced his fingers with hers.

"Relax, I'm fine. I just have a little headache."

He picked up the ice pack and held it to the knot on the back of her head. "You fell two stories. You could have been seriously hurt, or worse. NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY! That means you stay in the car!"

His raised voice made her wince. She placed her fingers over his lips, silencing his tirade. "I will not stay in the car. I'm your partner and that means it's my job to watch your back. And I'm gonna do my job. Look, you didn't see Jacoby enter the building. I did. Tell me, what was I supposed to do, just sit there and let them ambush you?"

He hung his head, looking just like Jamie when she scolded him. "No." His voice was so low she barely heard him.

She let go of his hand, then lifted his chin so she could look in his eyes. "I didn't hear you."

"I said, no, you couldn't let them ambush me. I just wish you didn't have to get hurt saving my skin."

"So do I. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And if our positions were reversed, you'd have done the exact same thing. Look on the bright side. That loose floorboard gave you the opportunity to
apprehend Jacoby and his cohorts."

"And take ten years off my life. I love you, Amanda. I can't lose you."

"I love you, too." Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted the NEST doctor enter the room. "I'm not going anywhere.

+++

Lee helped her off the gurney and into a nearby wheelchair. He pushed the chair as far down the hall as the nurse would allow. She squeezed his fingers and hoped he'd relax now that the doctor had arrived, but somehow she knew he wouldn't. Hopefully, Billy would arrive soon, and Lee would have something to occupy his time.

After a MRI and several x-rays, the doctors pronounced her well enough to be released, with orders to rest for the next few weeks. She had a mild concussion and severely torn ligaments in her left wrist. A heavy plaster cast adorned her arm from her fingers to her elbow. A sling held her injured arm close to her body, keeping it immobile. Lee was going to go crazy when he saw it.

A nurse pushed Amanda's wheelchair into the waiting room. She looked around for Lee and spotted him in a corner. Judging by the expression on his face, and the fact that his hair looked like he'd stuck his finger in a light socket, she figured he'd been involved in a very heated discussion with Billy and Francine.

The NEST doctor cleared his throat, and the trio turned and walked to where he stood. Billy identified himself as her section chief, and the doctor addressed his remarks to him.

"Mrs. King has suffered a mild concussion and severely torn ligaments. I've prescribed a mild painkiller and bed rest for the next two weeks. She'll be in the cast anywhere from six to eight
weeks, depending on how quickly she heals. She shouldn't be alone for the next few days. And if she loses consciousness, get her back here ASAP."

"Thank you, doctor," Billy said as they shook hands.

Lee knelt in front of her and held her hand. She saw such sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Amanda. Dr. Smyth ordered me back to the Agency for debriefing. Francine will take you home. When you feel up to it, she'll take your statement. I'll come over and check on you just as soon as I finish. I'll even bring Chinese food for dinner."

She smiled at him. "That sounds nice." Right now, all she really wanted to do was go home and slide under the covers.

Lee stood and guided her out to Francine's car. Taking care not to jostle her too much, he settled her inside the red hatchback and made sure she was comfortable, before sliding into the passenger seat of Billy's car.

Amanda leaned her head back against the seat and closed her eyes as Francine drove her home.

End
Chapter 10 - Patti by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Scarecrow and Mrs King is the Property of the WB and Shoot the Moon Enterprises. This story is for entertainment purposes only.
'During my driving lesson with Grandma, it seemed like I just made right hand turns. She seemed fine with that, but we never left our neighborhood!' I looked at the paper on my desk one more time. 'I studied this until I knew it backwards and forwards.' I folded up the street map of DC and looked at another document that I was about to put into my new wallet. My learner's permit. Phillip J King 4247 Maplewood Drive Arlington VA. I had to smile as I imagined a future driving lesson with Grandma. NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY.

End
This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=467