Word Challenge: monument, freeze, metro, climax, work by Friday Challenge
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 8947 Read: 43630 Published: 15/06/08 Updated: 15/06/08
Story Notes:
Instructions: You must use all the words somewhere in your story, and you must incorporate the scenario into your story as well. You can use them in any order - you may even use them more than once. But you MUST use them all AT LEAST ONCE. Don't forget your submission can be any length - from one line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else as long as it has a link to either SMK or B5.

1. Double Trouble with a Golden Pole - Tera by Friday Challenge

2. Questions - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

3. Chapter 3 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge

4. New Beginnings - Anne by Friday Challenge

5. Duty in the Shadows - Julie T by Friday Challenge

6. Chapter 6 - Sue by Friday Challenge

7. Chapter 7 - Monica by Friday Challenge

8. Echoes from the Past - Anne by Friday Challenge

9. Discoveries - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

10. Chapter 10 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge

Double Trouble with a Golden Pole - Tera by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:

Setting: obviously sometime after the series ended.

Rating: Hopefully double the heat!

Disclaimer: the usual SMK legalese applies. I don't own `em, I get nothing except for the fun of taking them off the dusty shelf and seeing what kind of havoc I can whip up for them. I always put them back too, unharmed and just waiting until the next bell for recess rings again.

I typed fast and furiously, hopefully there's not too many errors. I'll give you the second part probably tomorrow morning. Enjoy!
Double Trouble with a Golden Pole

Part 1

One would think that on such a beautiful day, with the sun shining and a warm breeze tickling the earth, a good mood would have prevailed inside the Stetson household. Quite the contrary, so it would seem.

Seated on the sofa in the living room inside Amanda's brand new house, the two of them sat. Their eyes were focused on one object not too far from them, placed where the coffee table had been earlier in the day. The poor coffee table had been resigned to take up temporary residence in front of the fireplace.

Not that the focal point of their gazes could have cared if watched or not. For inside of it, the two little occupants slept peacefully away and blissfully unaware of the dour mood that prevailed.

"Amanda, was it like this for you?"

"Was what like what?"

"You know, after the baby? I mean, after I got over the initial shock of being pregnant, I was so excited. Excited about being pregnant, excited for the baby to arrive and now, now look at me."

"There's nothing wrong with you, Francine," Amanda gently told the other woman.

"Nothing wrong!"

Francine practically snorted.

"I stay at home all day, well except when I'm over here. I don't feel like I get out of the house at all and Tony, well he trots off to work every day and leaves me with the baby."

"Francine, you're on maternity leave," Amanda reminded her.

"And don't I know it! The only time I get out of the house is when I come here, and don't get me wrong Amanda, I love coming over and I love the fact that the babies spend so much time together but I'm bored out of mind. I miss work."

She turned to look at Amanda.

"Not to mention the fact that our love life is going downhill faster than Billy pops Rolaids."

Francine paused for just a moment to sip at her tea.

"Was it like this for you? I mean, you've already had two babies Amanda. You're the perfect mother."

Francine twisted on the couch and then looked the brunette straight in the eye.

"I want the truth, now. Details Amanda, details."

Amanda shrugged.

"It isn't always easy after you've had a baby. Everything changes. Before I had Philip, it was just me and Joe and it was nice. I think I was home from the hospital about two days after having Philip and, seriously, I got up in the middle of the night to repack my suitcase. I was set on running away and leaving Philip with his father."

"No?"

Francine seemed aghast as Amanda merely nodded admission of the truth.

"But in the end, after some very long talks with my Mother and after setting Joe down for a long conversation, things seemed to work out better. By the time Jamie came along, I was so busy chasing after Philip that I didn't even have time to think, let alone dwell upon everything that wasn't going exactly right."

"But you had Jamie, so that means you eventually got your sex life in order, right?"

Amanda practically laughed.

"Is that what you're worried about?"

"That and a million other things," Francine admitted. "I mean, Tony wants to and I want to, but by the time we get things settled at night, I'm just too tired to enjoy it. I don't think I'll ever have
a climax again, let alone feel sexy enough to seduce him."

"Francine, you've had a baby. Adjustments have to be made for everything, including your sex life."

"So, your sex life is back to normal?"

At that Amanda let out a soft sigh.

"No," she grumbled under her breath.

"Oh dear," Francine uttered. "How is Lee handling that?"

"Oh, let me tell you," Amanda began. "He comes home at night, grumbling about the traffic in the metro area, harping about how Beaman is the world's biggest idiot, rambling on and on about Smyth's latest and stupidest nursery rhyme, expects me to have dinner ready for him and then stomps off to his office in the basement because he claims he can't think when the baby's crying. And then, after he stomps back upstairs, he expects me to be all excited and willing and able."

Amanda huffed as she got up from the couch and went to kneel beside the playpen to check on the latest addition to the Stetson-King household.

"I warned him about all of this, before we had the baby. I told him the first few months would be more about making adjustments and focusing all of our attention on the baby instead of on each other, but did he listen to me? Nooooooooo."

Francine shook her head in disgust.

"Men, they're all alike. They expect us to look sexy and seduce them into marriage. Then, after we've done that and they've gotten us pregnant, they expect us to be the perfect June Beaver. And then, to top it all off, they want us to go back to being sexy again."

Francine thumped her hand down on her thigh.

"Do you know how sexy I feel right now? About as sexy as the Washington Monument."

"Ah, Francine, I think it was June Cleaver and no, you really don't look like the Washington Monument. You're too short."

"Thanks Amanda, I knew I could count on you to cheer me up. Okay then, I'm the Jefferson Memorial."

The babies chose that moment, in unison to wake up and begin their crying ritual that led to changed diapers and fresh bottles. For the moment, it seemed the lament on changed lives would have to wait until a later time.

*** SMK ***

Lee Stetson sat at the table in the break room looking rather bleary eyed. He hardly noticed Leatherneck come in the door.

"Hey Scarecrow, wake up."

"I am awake."

"You look as if you're out half the night on a stakeout."

"If you want to call smelly diapers, colicky cries and bottles a stakeout," Lee quipped.

"Yeah," Leatherneck agreed as he poured himself a cup of coffee that he knew was going to be wretched before he even tasted it

Then he sat down at the table with Lee.

"If I had known it was going to be like this, I would have signed up for a vasectomy," he told Scarecrow.

"Me too."

Billy chose that moment to enter into the room.

"You would have what too?" he asked as he made his way to the coffeepot.

"Oh, nothing," Lee quickly said.

Billy poured a cup of coffee then held the cup up to his nose. One sniff was followed by a look that signified shock. He dumped the cup's contents down the drain.

"Don't tell me that you're drinking this stuff," he said as he looked at the two younger men.

"Might keep me awake," Leatherneck replied.

"Might kill us too."

There was something about Lee's tone that indicated that the agent might be about half-serious on that one.

"What's the matter Scarecrow? Two in the morning feedings too much for you to handle?"

"Why don't we say that this whole baby thing is too much for me to handle?"

"Sorry I asked," Billy said before turning to look at Leatherneck. "Is that you're problem too?"

Leatherneck shrugged.

"Well men, let me give you a little piece of advice. You met them, you fell in love with them and now you've got babies. Little ones who depend on you. But don't forget about the women who had a part in this. Think about what it's like to be in their shoes these days."

"I pity Francine's shoes," Leatherneck stated.

"Oh, it can't be that bad."

"It's worse than that. You'd have thought hell had gone through a deep freeze and sent all the evil weevils to our house. She's not the same girl I fell in love with you. Heck, she isn't even the same
Frannie that used to work here, before we got together."

"I'd rather drive all day through the metro in rush hour traffic then go home," Lee added. "Just once I'd like to have a good night's sleep instead of being woken up by the crying formula inhaler."

"You do not call your baby that?" Billy asked in horror.

"No, that's Jamie's nickname for her."

"Ah," Billy said with understanding. He'd been there himself, after all he was a father. Maybe, with some careful thought, he could pass some advice on to the two younger men. After he went back to his desk and maybe after he'd found some good coffee to drink. Oh, and after he'd eaten the donut that he had smuggled in this morning.

*** SMK ***

Later that afternoon, in Amanda's kitchen, the two mothers were now in the midst of going through their calendars in an effort to schedule the upcoming week. From the time that they had both had suspicions that they had been pregnant, everything with the babies had become a team effort. Same doctor's, same day appointments, you name it.

If someone would have told them two years earlier that they'd be practically joined at the hip, both would have scoffed at the notion, not to mention the fact that both of them would have found the whole idea of being mothers crazy enough to warrant a trip to Phaff's office.

But, instead of being out in the field chasing the bad guys they were in the kitchen comparing notes on diaper rash cream and clipping coupons for Pampers.

That's when Dotty chose to blow in like a hurricane through Amanda's back door.

"Oh, Amanda, Amanda, Amanda," she cried out.

"Hello Mother."

Dotty bent down to give her daughter a kiss and then made dopey eyes and funny noises to the babies who both were seated in their little bouncer chairs in the middle of the tables.

"Oh, they get more adorable every day," Dotty gushed. Then she straightened up and looked at the two younger women.

"Oh, you'll never guess what happened today. I told you about that class that I was taking, for computers? Well, the Captain and I decided that he's going to expand his business. We're going to buy a new computer and set up an office and I'm going to do all the office stuff, paperwork and all of that, you know how it is Amanda, and he's going to be able to take in more customers. Ooh, we're so excited."

"That sounds really nice, Mother."

"Oh, and here's the best part. You know all about it. It will be a lot of work, never ending, I may end up spending lots of late nights at the office."

With this, she winked at Amanda.

"Don't bother buying the pea flavored baby food yet, dear. You never ate it at that age and we ended up giving most of it to the Fletcher's dog."

Dotty tossed all of her junk onto the only empty spot of the table and then sailed about the kitchen in a flurry, pouring herself a glass of milk and putting together a sandwich.

"Oh, I picked up the summer class schedules from the community college for the boys. There's two of them, one for courses for credit and the other is the classes for community interest. I know
Jamie was asking about the photography courses."

"Thank you mother."

"You should see that one section. I never, in all of my life, thought that they would offer such classes. Do you girls know that not only are they offering belly dancing classes, they're offering
pick your proper tattoo and how to pole dance as well. I just never, imagine if they'd offered all of this when your Daddy was still alive? He would have had fits."

"I'm sure he would have," Francine said as she watched in amazement the older woman's energy.

"Well, darling, if you still want me to baby-sit tomorrow night, just let me know."

"I don't think so," Amanda said.

"What?"

"I don't think we're going to go out now. I think we'll just stay at home, you know a nice quiet night at home."

"Amanda, you had a baby, you aren't dead yet. Lord, I don't know what gets into you sometimes Missy. You and Lee have hardly gone out at all since the baby, that can't be good for a relationship, you know. You both have to have time for yourselves."

"Mother, maybe some other night."

Dotty shook her head.

"Amanda Elise Stetson, I know you know better. But hey, I'm just your mother, what do I know? Ooh, look at the time. I've got to be going, I'm meeting Kurt and we're going computer shopping. Top of the line, too!"

Dotty quickly gave both of the babies light kisses, the girls hugs and then out the door she flew, just as quickly as she had breezed in.

"Whew, she tires me out," Francine said.

"I know."

"You know, maybe she's right. You and Lee should go out."

"Hell will freeze over first," Amanda replied. "You didn't see the mood Lee was in this morning before he left. And besides, I can't fit into any of my dresses and he wanted to go to that nice new
restaurant that opened up over by the campus."

"I know the feeling," Francine said as she nodded in agreement.

With little more than half-interest, she picked up one of the brochures that Dotty had left on the table and began thumbing through it.

"Oh my," she suddenly exclaimed.

"What?"

"They really do offer a pole dancing class."

"You're kidding?"

"No, listen to this. Pole dancing offers a unique exercise experience, guaranteed to not only boost your physical fitness but will enhance your self-image and your sexual confidence. All muscle
groups are used and not only will it provide a wonderful and fun new way to work out, pole dancing enhances your music appreciation, targets key muscle groups, and can help enhance your sex life in ways never you've probably never thought of."

Amanda laughed.

"Lugging diapers up and down to the laundry room targets key muscle groups."

Francine tapped a perfectly manicured nail on the page.

"You know, Amanda, maybe we should try this."

"You've got to be joking!"

"No, it could be fun. You like to dance, right?"

"Well, yeah."

"Why not then? It's only two nights a week. Jamie wants to earn extra money for that video recorder that he wants and he's so good with the babies. We can just tell the fellows that we've signed up for an exercise class to lose those few extra pounds."

"I don't know," Amanda hesitated.

"Says here we can try it and if we don't like it, we can get a refund after the first class."

"A refund huh?"

Francine nodded.

"Hmmm…"

To be continued on Saturday

Will the girls like their new excerise class?

Will Lee and Leatherneck suffer stomach problems from drinking the Agency brew?

And, will Billy be able to continue sneaking those donuts into the Agency without Jeannie finding out?

Stay tuned, as only TS knows for sure where this is heading....mwhahaha!
Questions - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
*Continued right after my last story, A Little Scare. The usual disclaimers apply-don't own them, didn't create them-just write about them for fun:) Thanks to Ermintrude and Anne for all the help and for putting up with all of my questions. Hope you enjoy. *
Questions

Saturday, August 10, 2002

11:30 AM

"Mom you're not answering my questions," Jenna said.

Amanda placed the laundry basket on top of the washing machine, taking the clothes out of the dryer. "Sweetheart, I'm answering all the questions that I can," she said. "I can't tell you what I don't know."

"So why didn't we call the police?"

"Because the man was an associate of your fathers'," Amanda said. "He didn't mean any harm, I told you that. He was very sorry."

"So if he hadn't been an associate we would've called them?" Jenna said.

"Yes of course we would call them," Amanda said. They left the utility room and Amanda placed the laundry basket on the family-room sofa, folding the clothes as she spoke. "Jenna if anyone had been trying to hurt or frighten you know we would've done everything necessary to
protect you."

"I know that," Jenna said. "But you and dad make movies, right?"

"Right," Amanda said.

"So that man works on movies too," Jenna said. "Right?"

"Sort of," Amanda said.

"Well why couldn't he just phone, then?" Jenna said. "I still don't understand why he went up the ladder to the window to give Dad some information."

"Sweetheart the movie business has some very strange people in it and that man is one of them," Amanda said, struggling for the right words under her daughter's piercing gaze. "I can't explain why he does what he does. I don't understand it myself. I'm not even sure I want to understand it. But that's all I can tell you. Okay?"

"I guess so," Jenna muttered.

"Why don't you go upstairs and clean your room?" Amanda said.

"Fine," Jenna said. Amanda could hear her daughter muttering something as she went upstairs.

Once Jenna was gone Amanda sank down on the sofa, looking at the TV. The news was on-something about an attack on the Metro early this morning but Amanda's head was too full of thoughts to concentrate. They were going to have to tell Jenna something soon, she knew. They'd
been putting it off now for far too long. Just then the telephone rang, the caller ID indicating the name and number. Turning the volume down on the set Amanda picked up the phone. "Hello Lee," she said.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Francine opened the door of the Q Bureau. Lee was on the phone, his feet on top of the mess of his desk.

"I finished the debriefing, Amanda," Lee said. "Just catching up on some paperwork but I should be home soon. How's Jenna?" There was a pause, and then Lee's voice rose several octaves. "He did what?" Another pause. Francine watched as Lee's expression hardened.

"That son of a-" he said, his fist clenching. "Don't worry, Amanda, I'll deal with him. I love you. Tell Jenna I love her too, okay? Bye." He hung up the phone.

"I brought you these additional dossiers," Francine said, placing them on the desk.

"Thanks," Lee said, standing up and putting on his jacket. "I'll look at them later, Francine-I've really got to go.

"Everything all right at home?" Francine asked.

"It will be," Lee said. "Once I've dealt with a certain individual."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Fine," Jenna said again to herself as she pushed open the door to her room. "I'll just go and clean up my room like a good little girl and not even ask questions about this-or the 15000 other things in my life that no one else will ever explain." The room really was kind of a mess though-mom was right on that. Jenna made her bed, arranging her stuffed animals and her throw pillows. She knelt on the floor, gathering up some stray papers and books. Jenna opened one of the drawers to stuff them in there and that's when she saw it. The other books and papers fell from her hands, forgotten, as she reached into the drawer and pulled the object out.

It was a small composition book-the cover carried a picture of The Washington Monument. Jenna had bought it with some of her pocket money on a school trip last year. The pages were all blank except for the first page where she had started to use it for English class. The five parts of a story were written there: Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action and Resolution, along with a little graph that Jenna had drawn. She tore out that page and threw it in the wastepaper basket staring at the blank page that sat in front of her. A purple gel pen was lying on her dresser-Jenna reached up and grabbed it, bending over the notebook. In her best script she wrote one word across the top line:

Secrets

Underneath that word Jenna started a list:

1. Dad & Mom both very good at fighting.
2. Dad with a gun? ?

Jenna crossed out number two lots of people had guns-that wasn't unusual.

3. Weird trips taken.

Weird trips? Jenna thought. Maybe she should cross that one out too-after all, filmmakers probably had to make trips to all kinds of places.

But not in the middle of the night after a weird phone call, Jenna thought of the few times that had happened. Maybe she should leave it in after all.

4. Being there to rescue me when I was kidnapped.
5. Being there to rescue me when I was locked in the locker room.
6. Shooting at the people when I was shot.
7. Fighting someone with a sword during The Nutcracker
8. Dr. Pfaff (film company with a psychiatrist)
9. Not EVER able to go to work on Take Your Daughter to Work Day.
10. Able to open a locked door? Without key?
11. Rescuing me from Mr. Frere (Dennis Johnston).
12. What kind of person would climb in a window to give Dad information instead of calling or knocking on the door?

Jenna stared at her list. Was there really something there, she wondered, or was she just kidding herself and letting her imagination run away?

"Freeze!"

It was dad's voice-loud enough to be heard even with the window closed. Jenna went to her window, carefully pushing the curtains aside as she watched the scene playing out below. Dad was standing in the backyard, facing another man-tall with dark hair who seemed kind of familiar. Trying not to make a sound, Jenna carefully eased the window open.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Lee," Augie said as he turned around. "Just the man I wanted to see."

"After the way you frightened my daughter I very much doubt that," Lee said, watching in satisfaction as the other man's face paled. "Come back for an encore, Augie?"

"Lee that was an accident, I swear," Augie said. "Just a misunderstanding. I didn't mean to do anything."

"Maybe not," Lee said, walking forward until Augie was flattened against the wall of the house. Lee grabbed the front of the man's shirt. "But if you ever have another accident like that again you'll regret it. Understand?"

"I understand," Augie croaked.

"Good," Lee smoothed out the front of Augie's shirt and straightened his tie. " Now what was the information you needed to give me?"

"I'm going to need some cash," Augie said.

"Don't push it," Lee said.

A soft noise from above made Lee look up-he could see that Jenna's bedroom window was partially open. Was Jenna there, listening? Lee couldn't tell, but he couldn't afford to take any chances. He looked at Augie.

"I'll meet you somewhere later," he told the informant. "We can talk then."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Oh my gosh," Jenna whispered. "Oh my gosh oh my gosh." Her heart was pounding wildly and her hands were shaking. She took deep breaths but they didn't seem to help.

Had Dad seen her? She didn't think so but she couldn't be sure. And what had just happened? Jenna had no idea, but she was going to try her best to find out. Under her list in the notebook Jenna wrote out one more word:

Investigate.

The End?
Chapter 3 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge
The Q Bureau felt colder than a deep FREEZE. The CLIMAX of the situation was when Amanda noticed her fingertips were blue.

"I can't WORK with numb fingers." She rubbed her hands together. "We don't need the air conditioning working in the dead of winter. We need heat."

"What do you suggest we do to keep warm?"

"I know what will warm us up."

"My thoughts exactly." Lee winked.

"Lets take the METRO to the Washington MONUMENT. Walking those stairs will warm us.

"That wasn't what I was thinking."

"I know. Me either. Your place. Now."

"After you, my love."
New Beginnings - Anne by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Usual disclaimer applies. Don’t own them; don’t make money off of them.
New Beginnings

The cool crisp late October day brought the promise of freezing temperatures to the greater Washington, D.C. Metro and surrounding areas. On a park bench near the Jefferson Memorial a couple sat huddled together watching their young son throw rocks into the tidal basin.

A young handsome well-dressed man approached them. “Mr. and Mrs. Stetson? Thanks for meeting me on such short notice,” he said, shaking their hands.

“What can we help you with Harry?”

“Always straight to the point, Stetson. I like that in an agent.”

“Harry, as you well know, my wife and I are no longer agents.”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Harry…”

“Hear me out, Matt.”

Matthew looked over to his wife Jennie, who shrugged her shoulders, continuing to keep a watchful eye on their son.

“Okay Harry.”

“I would like to open a new counter-intelligence organization. A kind of ultra-secret government agency to stop the spread of communism and protect our interests here and abroad.”

“Lee, sweetheart, you’re getting too close to the waters’ edge,” Jennie called out.

“I’m still looking for Congressional approval to start building The Agency. That’s what we are going to call it. I was wondering if you could accompany me on a little drive into Georgetown?”

Matt looked over to his wife, who replied, “It’s starting to get too cold out here for Lee any way.”

“Okay, Harry. Lead the way, we’ll follow you.”

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Climbing out of their 1953 Chevrolet Bel-Air sedan the Stetsons followed Harry up the pathway to a large brick building.

“Welcome to I.F.F.,” he said, opening the door. “It’s a government surplus building, I know it’s not much to look at but the price was right.”

“I.F.F.?” asked Matt.

“That’s the cover for the Agency. I know it’s sort of anti-climatic. It stands for International Film Fed, to the general public we make documentary films for the government.”

Lee let go of his mom’s hand and climbed the stairs, clumping his boots as loud as he could against the hardwood.

“Lee, can you be a little more quiet going up those stairs son? Mum and dad need to talk to Harry.”

Lee nodded his head. “Yes, dad.”

“Here are the plans for the building,” Harry said, taking plans out of a round cylinder tube and placing them on a desk in the center of the room.

“There will be offices upstairs, but my plan is to build a state of the art underground facility, eleven floors with top of the line security system, the whole nine-yards. I know it will need a lot of work. It’s going to be a few years before everything is set. I want the best facility money can buy. I also plan on hiring the best agents I can find from the FBI, CIA, State Department, Army Intelligence and MI-6. I want the best of the best. That’s why I’m asking you to come out of retirement. I want both of you on my team.”

Both Jennie and Matt looked at each other. “Harry can we have a moment to discuss this in private?”

“Of course, there are offices upstairs. You are welcome to use one of them to talk. I’ll keep an eye on Lee.”

Matt and Jennie went up the stairs. Lee was standing at the top of the stairs, looking at the banister.

“Lee,” Matt said in a stern voice. “I know what you are thinking and the answer is no. I don’t think that banister is sturdy enough for you to slide down. Your mum and I are going to talk. You stay here with Harry. We’ll be right down.”

Lee nodded his head. He came down the stairs and walked over to Harry. “Bang!” he shouted. “You’re dead.”

Harry played along. “Ohhhh, you got me. That’s quite the weapon you got there, son. What is it?”

“It’s a Tombstone Fanner. I got it for Christmas last year. You know what I’m going to ask Santa for this year?”

“No, Lee. What?”

“A puppy.”

“A puppy. What a grand idea.”

“Yeah, but I also wouldn’t mind a little brother or sister, either.”

Harry chuckled.

Matt and Jennie came down the stairs. Matt picked up Lee. “Harry, we have made up our minds. Yes, we will work for you, but only if we can work together.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“So us being married will not be an issue?”

“No, Matt. As long as I am Head of the Agency, married couples can be partners as long as they remain effective as partners.”

”Okay, Harry you have a deal.” Matt said, shaking Harry’s hand. Matt hugged Lee tight and with his free hand he put his arm around Jennie leading his family out the building.
Duty in the Shadows - Julie T by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own these characters, just need to borrow them for my fanfic.

Timeline: Post Series--Marriage still as secret. Could be a tag scene...
Duty in the Shadows

Amanda made her way through the ever-bustling bullpen on her way back to the Q-Bureau. She had just finished reporting to Mr. Melrose that she had observed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary during her surveillance around the Washington MONUMENT.

Amanda had found it to be business as usual over there with tourists scattered about and a half-dozen or so D.C. METRO police officers on routine patrol. No evil Russian or German agents had been lurking around. The only thing that she could report was that she thought she was going to FREEZE to death in the thirty degree temperatures while she sat there waiting for absolutely nothing to happen.

Who were they kidding anyway? Did they think she hadn't caught on to the fact that she had only been assigned the busy WORK since her return to the field from light desk duty. It was getting old doing all the milk runs and useless surveillance jobs that no one else wanted to take on.

Not surprisingly, this had become a serious source of contention between her and Lee ever since she had come back to work after being shot while on their honeymoon. She was ready to go back to her old job working with Lee in the field and watching his back. It seemed to Amanda that he had conspired to keep her away from the field, other than the routine and boring assignments she had recently been doing.

As she rode the elevator to the Georgetown foyer, she contemplated her situation. It was like Lee thought she was some sort of rookie again. She definitely was not happy with the way he had just smothered her since the accident. The accident had not affected her performance in any way, and all her doctors had given her the clearance to return to the field. There was just no reason that she should be relegated to duties normally reserved for members of Beaman's class, which she had already completed with flying colors.

Amanda just stewed the whole elevator ride up. She wondered if Lee would still be in the Q waiting on her to return. She highly doubted it since they had one heck of a fight before she left for her "rookie" duty. Before she left for her assignment, she had confronted him about conspiring with Mr. Melrose to give her the practically useless, waste of time assignments. And of course, he had vehemently denied it. The CLIMAX of the argument had been her telling Lee that he needed to see Pfaff and walking out the door. She was sure that he had not taken that comment well, considering his opinion of "shrinks".

The elevator doors opened. Amanda stepped out, greeted Mrs. Marston with a less than enthusiastic greeting, and began to climb the stairs almost apprehensively. The older woman could sense that Mrs. King had not been happy since she had returned to work. She could only hope that things would turn around and be back to normal soon. Mrs. King had been so good for Scarecrow. He had been so much happier and more even-keeled since Mrs. King had become his partner. And Mrs. Marston was sure there was more to their relationship than the working partnership. You could just see it in the way they looked at one another.

As Amanda reached the door to the Q, she took a deep breath to steady herself just in case Lee was still there. As she opened the door, and stepped inside, Lee grabbed her from behind the open door and took her into his arms. Looking deeply into her eyes he said, "I am so sorry, Amanda. I am just afraid of losing you."

"You're not gonna lose me, Lee. You are stuck with me for good!" Amanda joked. Then in a more serious tone she said, "I just need you to understand that I am ready to return to the field as your partner. Can we work through this together?"

Reluctantly Lee nodded his head, knowing he was going to have to give into his wife's desire to return to full duty. "I love you, Mrs. Stetson," he said as he gave her a gentle kiss on the lips.

Fade to Black
Chapter 6 - Sue by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Okay, this is what Sparkle came up with. I'm not really sure it came out the way I wanted it to, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. This takes place before season one.
Mother nature had thrown Washington D.C. into a deep FREEZE. Coating every surface in a thick blanket of ice. Causing most of the city to shut down including international intrigue. Things had definitely slowed down at the Agency and Francine Desmond was pissed. Ever since Jonathan left her at the altar she'd been WORKING nonstop, hiding from well meaning friends and family. And if she were honest with herself, her own feelings of failure.

Not wanting to face her empty apartment, she crossed the bull pen and stood in front of Scarecrow's desk. He hadn't left for the day yet either. Nine o'clock in the evening and the two of them were still sitting at their respective desks shuffling paper from one side of the desk to the other. She cleared her throat and he looked up at her.

"Is there something I can do for you, Francine?"

"You want to go get a drink down at Ned's?"

"Sounds good." He stood and slipped his suit jacket and top coat on, then helped her into her mink coat.

++++

They slipped and skidded down the few blocks to the restaurant and sat on stools at the bar. One drink turned into two and they flirted with each other. After the fourth drink, she suggested they go back to her place. Quickly, they hopped onto the METRO and sped to her apartment in Crystal City.

++++?

She led him directly to the bedroom and they tumbled onto the bed in a tangle of arms and legs. They came together in a frenzy, tearing at each other's clothes. It was over almost before it began.

Scarecrow slept beside her, snoring softly. She stared up at the ceiling and gently wiped at the tears streaming down her cheeks. She didn't regret what she'd done, and God knows it was good. Lee bringing her CLIMAX after climax but she still felt hollow inside, empty. She got out of bed and donned her robe, going into the living room so she didn't wake him up.

She stared out at the MONUMENTS in the distance trying to come to grips with her emotions. After a few deep breaths, she'd made up her mind, she was a strong, independent woman and she didn't need Jonathan Stone or any man to be happy. She went back into her bedroom and snuggled under the covers wrapping her arms around Lee and drifted into the first peaceful sleep she'd had in a long time.

END
Chapter 7 - Monica by Friday Challenge
Walking toward bullpen Amanda King was lost in her thoughts. Her weekend was a pleasant one because she went on a case with her partner, Lee, The Scarecrow- Not that he would ever consider her a partner, nooooo, how he put it "You were an emergency!"

Grrrr that man is a monument of arrogance, he "think" he is the best, and maybe he is, but at the same time he forgot how many times she save his butt--well a cute butt, if anyone would ask her.

"Lost in thoughts, about Cumberland Amanda? I know that Lee wasn't that happy when I couldn't go. So what were the sleeping arrangements, I happened to know that only one room was booked?"

"All was well Francine, we had the work done, we cracked the case, hadn't we?"

I think that dentist didn't do a good job, I would pull off that sharp tongue too!" were Amanda's new thoughts walking toward Billy's office.

Lee was already inside. Damn he was sexy! Slowing her steps all the memories from time at the resort came back, the way he kissed her hand, the husky tone of his voice calling her "darling" the touch of his hand on her back, it almost brought her to climax. It was too much time since any man talked and touched her like that, and the fact that is was Lee doing it, made the things harder. Of course, the hell would freeze before she would let him know that. She had to work harder not to look and act like the steno pool dropping things and fainting in his way.

Billy congratulate them both for the good job, and she was happy to be included, after all it was a "we" not a "me" case.

After finished typing the report Amanda, remember she had to return the ring to Lee, and seeing him in the hallway talking to Francine, didn't lose the time and walk to them.

"Lee, here is your ring. See you tomorrow, Francine."

Waiting in front of the elevator, she could hear the blonde's voice.

"Not a very rewarding weekend Scarecrow, well now I think you regret taking her with you. Don't worry we could spend a wonderful time there. What are you doing next Saturday?"

"Can it Francine!"

Amanda's smile grew wider, and looking at them saw Francine huff and better she saw Lee wink at her. Definitely the day was better and better, and the fight she would have with the boys tonight feel easier. She will win, because no way she would let them see "Poltergeist" the new Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer movie.
Echoes from the Past - Anne by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Usual disclaimer applies. Don’t own them; don’t make money off of them.

Thanks A LOT (tongue in cheek) to Sue, who suggested Lee experiencing Déjà vu the first time he climbed the Agency stairs. Dang her! 2nd Challenge response. And thanks to Jennifer, too. Whatever would I do without you?
Echoes from the Past

Lee Stetson parked his 1963 Porsche 9350 in front of 1565 Constitution Avenue NW. Noticing the gold-colored plaque out front that read International Film Fed, he knew he had the correct place. Climbing out of his car, he walked down the pathway, opened the door and entered the large brick building.

Entering the foyer the first thing he noticed was a middle-aged woman, wearing glasses and her hair up in a bun, sitting at a desk in the center of the room. “Good morning,” she said. “May I help you?”

“Yes, my name is Lee Stetson. I have an appointment with Harry Thornton this morning.”

“Just a moment Mr. Stetson. I will inform Mr. Thornton you are here. Please have a seat.”

Lee sat down in a wooden chair leaning against the far wall. He glanced around the sparse office, running his hand through his hair. On the wall were various paintings; George Washington crossing the Delaware, a painting of the Washington Monument and even a portrait of President Richard Nixon. In the corner was a fake fichus plant while white lace curtains covered the windows. A moment later a stout well-dressed man with a touch of gray in his hair came out of what Lee had thought was the coat closet. Lee raised his eyebrows.

The man walked over to Lee, extending his hand. “Mr. Stetson. Harry V. Thornton. So glad you could make it. Shall we go upstairs?”

“Yes, sir.” Lee said, still confused by what was going on.

Harry went up the stairs. Lee followed behind him. Lee’s shoes clicked on the hardwood steps. Halfway up the stairs Lee looked over at the banister stopping suddenly. “I know what you are thinking son, and the answer is no. I don’t think that banister is sturdy enough for you to slide down.” Lee could hear the voice echoing in his mind.

“I’m sorry, sir. Did you say something?” Lee asked.

Harry turned around. “No Lee, I didn’t say anything. But if I was 30 years younger I bet that banister would be great to slide down.”

“What did you say?”

“I said I bet that would be a great banister to slide down.”

“I guess,” said Lee, shaking the cobwebs out of his head.

They walked down the hallway past a room labeled Film Library and entered the following room on the left.

Inside the room was a small conference table and four chairs. “Please take a seat, Lee.”

“Thank you, sir,” Lee said, sitting down. “I’m sorry sir, but you seem familiar to me. Have we met?”

“Please Lee, it’s Harry. No need to stand on formalities here.”

“Okay, sir, I mean Harry.”

“We’ve been observing you for some time, Lee.”

Lee looked over at Harry, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable.

Harry opened the dossier, scanning the information inside. “I see your father was Military Intelligence.”

“That is correct, sir.”

“Raised by your Uncle, who is now a Lieutenant Colonel for the U.S. Air Force. Spent some time in Cherbourg, Guam and the Sahara and I understand you’re fluent in French, too.”

Lee nodded his head.

“Several impressive colleges here, Lee. I see you finally graduated from George Washington. Majored in Political Science. Good.”

Lee nodded again.

“Two tours of duty in Vietnam. You earned the distinguished Medal of Honor. Yes, quite impressive service record.”

“I’m sorry, sir, but I really don’t like talking about my past. I did my duty for god and my country and I like to keep the past behind me where it belongs. This interview will continue when hell freezes over,” Lee said, agitated, standing up, getting ready to leave.

“Lee, give me a minute. I will answer all your questions. Please sit down.”

Lee stood at the edge of the table. “No, first I would like to know how the hell you know all of this about me if you are just a film company, which I’m beginning to doubt you really are.”

“You are correct, Lee. You have good observation skills. This is not a film company. I.F.F. is a front for what we really do. To the general public we make documentary films, but in reality we are a counter-intelligence organization known as the Agency.”

Lee’s eyes grew large, as he sat back down. “Are you telling me you are a spy?”

“We don’t use the word spy, we prefer intelligence operative. And yes, we gather intelligence for the purpose of national security and defense. The Cold War continues to build tension between the NATO and the Eastern block countries until one day it will all reach a shattering climax. We are the eyes and ears of the intelligence community and I would like you to be a part of my team. I want the…”

“…best of the best,” Lee said, finishing the sentence.

“Yes. I believe you have the skills necessary to become a good agent. You are hard working, patriotic, intelligent and I believe you would be a great asset to our organization. So what kind of weapon are you carrying today, Lee?”

“Bang! - Tombstone Fanner,” Lee thought, confused. “What the hell? Why did that come to my mind?” He shook his head again.

“Ah, my… I carry a Beretta, sir. I have a permit for it.”

“Good gun, quite the weapon.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Well, Lee. I think I know everything I need to know about you and I like what I see. Do you have any questions for me?”

“Would I be working here in D.C.?” he asked.

“Yes, most of your assignments will revolve around the greater D.C. Metro area, but you could be called on an assignment overseas occasionally.”

Lee nodded. “Yes, sir, Harry.”

“Good. Then the next step is special training at Station One, which I have no doubt you will pass with flying colors. There are courses in hand-to hand combat, physical endurance, weapons training, driving skills and then finally Dodge City. I would like you to report to Station One next Monday. Welcome aboard, son,” Harry said, shaking Lee’s hand.

Lee stood up and walked out the door.

Watching Lee leave through the Georgetown entrance, Harry was reminded of the last time he had seen Lee, in the arms of his father. “You would be proud of him Matt. He turned out to be a fine man,” Harry thought smiling. “I have a feeling he’s going to be a hell of a good agent. Yes, a hell of a good agent.”
Discoveries - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
*the usual disclaimers apply-many thanks to Anne and Ermintrude-you guys have helped me out tremendously *
Discoveries

4247 Maplewood Dr.

Saturday, August 10, 2002

11:50 AM

Jenna peeked out the window again. Her dad and the other man-Augie they were still there. She kept very still, not even daring to breathe as she listened. Their voices were low but she could still hear if she really concentrated...

"What does later mean?" Augie was saying . "Lee this is urgent-I don't think it can wait much longer, you know?"

"Fine," Dad said with an audible sigh. "Meet me over at the Abingdon Elementary playground in about a half-hour. All right?"

"I'll be there," Augie said. "And I'm telling you-this is big."

Jenna watched as the other man sprinted over the fence and disappeared. She let the curtain fall and sank down onto the floor, still shaking.

Investigate. That's what she'd written in her notebook and that's what she was going to do. Jenna had no idea what her dad was doing, but she was definitely going to try and find out. Taking the gel pen she wrote a little bit more:

Step One: Follow Dad.

The sound of footsteps coming up the stairs startled her. Hastily Jenna closed the notebook so the only thing now showing was the cover with the Washington Monument. There was a light tap on the door.

"Come in," Jenna called out.

Dad opened the door. "Hey there," he said.

"Hey," Jenna said, trying hard to sound casual. "Did you have fun in Boston?"

"No mostly I was bored," Dad said, sitting on the bed. "Work stuff, you know."

But she didn't know, Jenna thought as she sat beside her dad, looking at his profile. She was just beginning to realize how much she really didn't know at all. Out loud she said. "I know."

"Bought you a new t-shirt, though," Dad said. "I thought maybe soon we could all go up to Boston for the weekend-you'd love it. They have a really nice aquarium there."

"That would be fun," Jenna said.

"Your mom told me you had a little scare Friday night, " Dad said, looking at her. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Jenna said. "I mean it sounds silly now but for one minute I thought it was Gary-that he'd come back and-" her voice faltered slightly and Dad squeezed her hand. "-but once I found out who it was I was okay."

"You sure?" Dad said. "No nightmares?"

"No nightmares," Jenna said. "I just thought it was a little strange, that's all."

"Well he's more than a little strange, Jenna," Dad said. "I'm sorry he frightened you." He squeezed her hand again and gave her a kiss on the forehead before standing. "I've got an errand to run but I'll be back soon-try not to get too bored cleaning your room, okay?"

"I'll try," Jenna said.

"Oh and shut your window," Dad said. "Your mom has the AC running-we don't want to air-condition the entire neighborhood. I'll see you later, munchkin."

"See you later," Jenna said. Once Dad was gone she closed her eyes briefly, taking a deep breath. He hadn't suspected anything-at least she didn't think that he had. Now the next step was to follow him. Abingdon Elementary was only one street over but with her Mom here sneaking out of the house wasn't going to be so easy.

The Agency

11:58 AM

"Anything more on Red February?" Billy said.

"Nothing yet," Francine said. "All that we've been able to find out so far is they're planning something big."

"That's a bit of an anti-climax, isn't it?" Billy said. "The fact that they're planning something big is a given, Francine. What we need to know are details. How about Lee? He's working on the case-did he find out anything in Boston?"

"Boston was a dead end," Francine said, "But Lee just called-he has a meeting set up with Augie Swann. He's not certain, but it could have something to do with Red February-they are the hottest ticket in town at the moment."

"Let's hope he's right," Billy said, wiping his hand on his forehead and popping another antacid pill. He wasn't sure what was getting to him more, the heat and humidity or the tension. "After 9-11 we cannot afford to take any more chances. We need to know something and we need to know it soon."

Abingdon Elementary School

12:10 PM

Jenna's muscles were beginning to cramp from staying in this crouching position so long. She was hot, sweaty, and she was pretty sure there was a bug crawling up her leg. Her tennis shoe was sopping wet-she'd stepped in the ditch while cutting across. Despite the summer heat, the water had been freezing cold. Something tickled as it crawled up her leg. Jenna looked down at it and had to bite her lip to stifle a shriek.

Some investigator I'd make, she thought dryly. I get afraid of a little ladybug. Impatiently she brushed it away. Picking up the binoculars that Jamie had given her two Christmases ago Jenna watched as her dad stood in the playground next to the swings, checking his watch every couple of minutes. Just then Augie came running up-he had something rolled up under his arm- it looked like a paper of some sort. Dad and Augie were talking, but Jenna was too far way to hear
any actual words.

What could they be up to? She wondered.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"I'm sorry if I'm a little late," Augie said, breathing hard as he spoke. "But I needed to get the merchandise from my apartment-sort of a token of goodwill, you know."

"The merchandise?" Lee said. "Just tell me what all this is about, Augie-I haven't got all day-and stop turning around like that. You're making me dizzy just looking at you."

"Just trying to make sure they're not following me," Augie said. "I wouldn't put it past `em."

"Who?" Lee said.

"Red February," Augie said. "They contracted me to procure something for them at a very good price. Only I started thinking that they might not honor their end of the bargain."

"Really?" Lee said, letting sarcasm creep into his voice. "Whatever gave you that idea?"

"They just seem a little unstable," Augie said, apparently oblivious to Lee's mockery. "So anyway I thought maybe I should offer it to you."

"I'm not paying for it," Lee said. "I've told you that already."

"Come on Lee," Augie said. "I went through a lot of trouble to get this, you know-this is huge."

"Let me see them first," Lee held out his hand. "I want to make sure what I'm paying for."

Augie handed him the papers and Lee carefully unrolled them. He studied the documents silently for a moment.

"These are plans for the Metro," he said, looking up at Augie. "They're a matter of public record."

"Not these plans, Lee." Augie said. "These plans show the secret entrances for workers and government individuals in case of evacuation. And this other paper here shows a detailed map of all the ventilation systems."

Despite the August heat Lee felt a chill go through him as he looked down at the blueprints. He could think of several reasons why Red February would need this information and none of them were good. Taking a bill out of his wallet he handed it to Augie.

"One hundred dollars?" Augie said. "My information is worth more than that, Lee-I'm a man with expenses."

"Here," Lee said, taking another hundred out. "That's it, Augie."

"Bye Lee," Augie said. "Take care."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Jenna's mouth felt dry, the cramp in her legs forgotten as she watched the scene below. She wasn't sure what she had seen, but it gave her a sort of trembling and sick feeling in her stomach. What exactly could dad have been doing? A dozen different ideas were racing through Jenna's head, each one worse than the last. Numbly she watched through the binoculars as Augie left. Dad rolled up the paper under his arm and after a moment he left too.

A sharp sound, like a branch breaking, made Jenna jump slightly and shook her out of her thoughts. She had to get home and fast, too, before she was caught or missed.

The End?
Chapter 10 - Cheryl by Friday Challenge
"Oh my gosh, I'm late for WORK." Amanda rubbed her hands together. It was cold outside, she thought she'd FREEZE.

"I need the word of the day, Mrs. King."

"I know Mrs. Marston. My car broke down near the Washington MONUMENT. I had to get a tow truck. Then I had to ride the METRO in and walk the rest of the way.”

She knew the word. It was on the tip of her tongue. Then she saw Lee standing at the top of the staircase smiling down at her.

"CLIMAX."

"Correct."

Not yet, but she hoped she would soon.
This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=343