Fast Food For Thought--Filler by Sue
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Francine Desmond, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 635 Read: 4118 Published: 18/05/08 Updated: 18/05/08
Story Notes:

Author’s Notes: Each time I watch this episode, I wonder if Lee would have gone back to knock on Amanda’s door if Francine hadn’t caught him in the hallway. I’d planned on writing that, but the Foxrun Motel looked like it had paper-thin walls. So Lee wouldn’t have wanted to chance Francine catching him in Amanda’s room that late at night. Instead, I penned this little scene filler. Enjoy!

A special thanks to all the Gutter Girls who helped me with this. Especially Rita and Miss Edna.

1. Chapter 1 by Sue

Chapter 1 by Sue

<><><><><><><>

Plop . . .

Plop . . .

Plop . . .

Amanda tossed and turned, struggling to get comfortable in the lumpy bed. The red numbers on the digital alarm clock changed from two fifty-nine to three.  Sighing, she violently punched the pillow and held it over her ears, trying to muffle the Chinese water torture coming from her bathroom. She flopped onto her back and stared at the ceiling, willing herself to fall asleep.

Plop.

There it was again. This was all Francine's fault. If she hadn't been blasting the television in the next room, Amanda would have noticed the dripping sooner. She could’ve called maintenance and had the leaky faucet fixed.

Plop.

She couldn't take it anymore. One more drip and she'd go stark-raving mad. Growling, she flung the covers off the bed, grabbed a sweater and her room key, and stalked into the hall, sorely tempted to bang on Francine's door. Why should the blond agent sleep while she was wide awake? But she really didn't want to spend what little night that was left sharing a bed with Francine Desmond.

She stuck her tongue out and made a face at the closed door next to her room, before turning left and knocking on the door across the hall. After a few moments, she rapped a little harder and called, "Lee."

The chain slid back, and the door slowly opened. Amanda had barely crossed the threshold when the door slammed behind her and the light flashed on. She whirled to find her partner aiming his weapon at her chest, for the second time that night.

 “Amanda?” He lowered his weapon, then turned and slipped the chain back in place.

“Oh, Lee, I’m sorry I woke you, but I can’t stay in my room another moment longer. Drip, drip, drip all night long. I tried closing the door, but it didn’t help any, and I really need to get some sleep. Drip, drip, drip. It's driving me crazy."

He grasped her forearms. “Slow down and tell me what’s wrong.”

“The bathroom faucet is leaking, and it’s too late to call maintenance. I have that breakfast with Marvin at eight o’clock, and I need to get some sleep. Can I stay here?”

“Are you sure you wouldn’t be more comfortable with Francine?”

“I’m sure.”

“Then, of course, you can stay with me.” He nodded toward the bed. “Go ahead, climb in.”

She scooted under the covers while he turned off the light. After grabbing a pillow and the spread off the bed, Lee sank to the floor.  She heard him grunt, and his body scuffed against the carpet several times.

“What are you doing down there?”

“Its okay, Amanda, you take the bed. I’ll be all right on the floor.”

“You can’t sleep on the floor.”

“Of course I can. It won’t be the first time.”

“You need your rest, too. Get up here.” She patted the space next to her. “There’s plenty of room for both of us. I might as well go back to my room. I’m not going to be able to sleep, thinking about you down on the floor.”

“Okay, but only if you’re sure.”

“I’m sure.” She held the covers open, and he slid in next to her.

The full-sized bed didn’t afford much distance between them. Lee stretched his arm across the top of her pillow. She turned into him and rested her head on his shoulder, snuggling against his side. His hand dropped to her shoulder, and he held her tight. “Good night, Amanda.”

She felt him kiss the top of her head. “Night, Lee.”

When his deep, even breathing told her he’d fallen back to sleep, she laid her hand on his chest, and the steady beat of his heart lulled her into joining him in dreamland.

End . . . continue with the episode as aired.

This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=134